Cell Phones

Koodo: Possible to get a QC Large Tab plan without taking a tab?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2017 10:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9791 posts
2275 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon

Koodo: Possible to get a QC Large Tab plan without taking a tab?

Posted this over at hofo but figured I would try here too.

I've read over the stickies but I don't see an FAQ that completely answers my situation. I am interested in the $54/7GB QC plan, but it appears to only be available with a large tab but I want BYOP. What would be the best way to accomplish this? Is it even possible without having to take the discounted phone and sell it myself?

Assuming I can talk a Walmart/BB clerk into giving me a QC number:
1) Get QC number and $54/7gb plan and large tab on some phone*
2) After a day or two, return the phone. (Will they cancel the plan/close the account at that point?)
3) Port in my ON number at some point

*At (1) do I have to take a large tab? Would save a lot effort not to.

Assuming I cannot talk a Walmart/BB clerk into giving me a QC number:
1) Get ON number and large tab for some phone and hopefully cheapest ON plan available
2) Register for Koodo self-serve online.
3) Request/change to QC number via self-serve.
4) On the first day of billing cycle select the $54 large tab plan
5) Return phone and cancel tab
6) port in ON number

Do those options, conditional on whether I get a QC upfront, make sense? Am I stuck taking the tab and trying to sell it myself?

If it's easier, pretend I will keep the QC number. Is it possible to get a Tab plan without a tab (effectively)?
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1198 posts
308 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
You want to go BYOD, but take advantage of the tab large base plan? I think you can have this done by calling in (while you have a QC number). They should be able to do it over the phone and waive the service fee given that you can't do it yourself via self-serve. If you take a phone on that line down the road, unless it's going on a tab large, it'll likely require a re-rate, even if you port in an ON number.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9791 posts
2275 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 4:02 pm
You want to go BYOD, but take advantage of the tab large base plan? I think you can have this done by calling in (while you have a QC number). They should be able to do it over the phone and waive the service fee given that you can't do it yourself via self-serve. If you take a phone on that line down the road, unless it's going on a tab large, it'll likely require a re-rate, even if you port in an ON number.
Yeah, that's the end goal. No plans to take phones on subsidy again, so not too concerned about re-rate I guess.

So, if I were to walk into an Ontario BB and be lucky enough to get them to sign me up for a QC number and plan, we'd have to call in right there to get Koodo to remove the requirement of actually taking a tab for a tab plan? Sounds risky, insofar as I imagine koodo CS would wonder why I am asking for a QC number and plan in ON.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1198 posts
308 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ceredon wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 4:44 pm
Yeah, that's the end goal. No plans to take phones on subsidy again, so not too concerned about re-rate I guess.

So, if I were to walk into an Ontario BB and be lucky enough to get them to sign me up for a QC number and plan, we'd have to call in right there to get Koodo to remove the requirement of actually taking a tab for a tab plan? Sounds risky, insofar as I imagine koodo CS would wonder why I am asking for a QC number and plan in ON.
They'll put you on a BYOD plan, then call in to customer service to change the plan.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9791 posts
2275 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 5:22 pm
They'll put you on a BYOD plan, then call in to customer service to change the plan.
So in that case, no reason to signup for the tab plan at first. Sign up with a BYOP plan, then just call in and try to change plans to the tab plan with no plan. Yes?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9791 posts
2275 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 5:22 pm
Just for interest sake I stopped into a Koodo kiosk to ask about this. I brought up a couple ON plans that were different for large Tab than for BYOP and asked what would happen if I took a tab to get the plan and then returned the phone immediately to cancel the tab. Clerk was adamant that it would also cancel the plan and my account itself.

I picked up a SIM and Quebec number at one of the 3rd party stores in the mall and signed up for the BYOP plan. Will call in later and ask about the 7gb tab plan.

Thanks
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1198 posts
308 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ceredon wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 5:51 pm
So in that case, no reason to signup for the tab plan at first. Sign up with a BYOP plan, then just call in and try to change plans to the tab plan with no plan. Yes?
Exactly. Start with byod, then do a plan change over the phone, explaining that you couldn't do it in self-serve.
ceredon wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 6:43 pm
Just for interest sake I stopped into a Koodo kiosk to ask about this. I brought up a couple ON plans that were different for large Tab than for BYOP and asked what would happen if I took a tab to get the plan and then returned the phone immediately to cancel the tab. Clerk was adamant that it would also cancel the plan and my account itself.

I picked up a SIM and Quebec number at one of the 3rd party stores in the mall and signed up for the BYOP plan. Will call in later and ask about the 7gb tab plan.

Thanks
Looks like you've got gear in motion.