265 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Koodo] QC only - Unlimited Talk & Text + 8 GB for $56/Month or 6 GB for $49

Koodo QC promotions are back!

$56 / Month
8 GB of Shock-Free™ data 1

Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes

Unlimited messaging (text & picture) 2

Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting, Conference Calling and Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling 6
Additional data $5/100 MB

or

$49 / Month
6 GB of Shock-Free™ data 1

Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes

Unlimited messaging (text & picture) 2

Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting, Conference Calling and Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling 6
Additional data $5/100 MB

If you are Ontario customer, I believe the loophole is still there.
Thread Summary
Koodo SIM is $10.00 + Tax

Billing Cycle date can be found in the usage tab

If you see an error "Mobile Number entered is invalid. Please check and try again." after changing your number, log out of self-serve and log back in. It should update the number.
817 replies
Oct 9, 2014
16 posts
5 upvotes
Hamilton Ontario
Thanks, anybody recall how the loophole works?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7593 posts
833 upvotes
Nice, I got this plan last time it was around. As an added bonus, Koodo has a $25 referral bonus for new activations. You need a referral from a current koodo member before you go through the activation process, otherwise you will not receive the credit.

The loophole is fairly straight forward:

Go to your local Best Buy/Walmart/WOW Mobile and request a QC number. You will be able to hop on the QC plan right away, and simply need to port your existing number via self-serve when you get home.

If they refuse...

1) Register for a monthly (post-paid) plan with an in-province number.
2) Go home, register for Koodo self-serve online.
3) Request/change to QC number via self-serve.
4) On the first day of your billing cycle, the system will allow you to select desired QC plan. *Some people may be able to do this instantly once changing to a QC number.
5) Afterwards, port your existing in-province number from the other carrier via self-serve. *It may say you need to wait 90 days, but will work once the billing cycle renews in a few days.

Fairly straight forward. Good luck!
Last edited by HBP on Mar 2nd, 2017 11:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
Oct 9, 2014
16 posts
5 upvotes
Hamilton Ontario
Thank you. I will review the instructions.
Feb 7, 2008
341 posts
135 upvotes
St Catharines
I posted this summary in an earlier thread, here it is again!

For Ontario residents, here's a quick how-to I put together for my friends from the boxing day 8gb QC deal (based on info from this forum and HoFo):

1. In-person, go sign up for a new Ontario monthly plan and new phone number from Koodo from a kiosk, Best Buy, Walmart wherever. It doesn't particularly matter what plan. Don't bring your old number over yet.

Go ahead and get a new phone too if you want, or you can use your old phone (but only if it's unlocked* or from Telus). With the last deal, I think you had to start with a tab-large to be able to easily switch to the QC plan.

If they can give you the QC plan directly then you're done (e.g. if you do business in QC for example - FYI do not give a fake Quebec address, we're doing this legit). Otherwise,

2. Go home, and use a referral to create an online account. You and the referrer can both get a 50$ credit with the current promotion.

3. Create your online self-service account and check your billing cycle starting date, write it down, it's usually in 6-10 days.

4. In self-service online, go ahead and change your new ON phone # to a QC # before your next billing date. You now have a QC phone number for a week, congrats!

5. After that first billing date (again, wait usually 6-10 days), change the plan to the $54 QC plan. If there's any free data bonuses or addons you want like visual voicemail (+2$) go ahead and add those too.

6. Wait 24 hrs. Go back to self-service online and port in your existing/old Ontario phone #. You will need your old phone number and your old account number to do so. This will automatically cancel your old plan wherever you come from (e.g. Rogers for me). And you will get a bill from your old plan pro-rated to the date you switched. It usually takes about 15 minutes to switch over. FYI: do NOT call Rogers or whatever to cancel your old plan first, you will lose your number if you cancel before you port!

And we're back, you now have your old number, on a new great plan.

If you're already on Koodo, there's a process of porting out and porting in that's doable, but not my expertise, check out the last post or HoFo for details.

*If you're bringing your old phone, call your company before you start this to get it unlocked. An iPhone unlock is 50$ with Rogers, most Android phones are much cheaper, but don't forget to negotiate to get it unlocked free or discounted.
~M
Last edited by mgrimace on Mar 2nd, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mobile: Koodo - 8gb 55$ Canada-wide
Internet: Start.ca
TV: FTA Antenna + Netflix
Bed: Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3368 posts
550 upvotes
Brampton ON
Very well planned
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $40 10gb with F&F discount 2yrs Contract ZTE Grand X4
Virgin Mobile $47 4gb 2yrs Contract LGG6
Do A Math Before Signing Contract Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

May 7, 2012
254 posts
76 upvotes
Working out very well.
Had to call the porting in/out dept to complete but no problemo.
Jan 3, 2017
12 posts
4 upvotes
Went from Rogers to koodo on a similar deal and never looked back. Koodo is great and has same coverage as telus/bell for anyone who's unsure about switching. :)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
2369 posts
1414 upvotes
Amazing plan. Had it since Christmas. $50 referal is a bonus
[OP]
Oct 14, 2014
343 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto, ON
01-digital wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 12:34 pm
Having the biggest facepalm moment right now. I literally switched over from Fido to koodo last night for their $54 6GB Plan... #FACEPALM
:facepalm:
Dec 27, 2005
299 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
01-digital wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 12:34 pm
Having the biggest facepalm moment right now. I literally switched over from Fido to koodo last night for their $54 6GB Plan... #FACEPALM
open another one .. and switch your current one to prepaid and then port over Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6413 posts
2755 upvotes
Markham
Sigh, we shouldn't have to go through that length to get a freaking phone plan that isn't downright douchey. If people in the states now can get $60 unlimited talk/text/data that includes a subsidized phone, then there is no reason for us over here in ONTARIO not to get something similar.