Koodo referral $50 bill credit is back

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2017 2:11 pm
[OP]
May 28, 2016
189 posts
57 upvotes

Koodo referral $50 bill credit is back

Koodo mobile: Refer a buddy and get $50 bill credit is back, expires August 8, 2017.

https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/public/home.pg

*admin reminder* Asking for or offering referrals is NOT permitted.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 10th, 2017 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited post for referral rules
51 replies
May 8, 2009
1838 posts
494 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
gowifi wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 5:25 am
Koodo mobile: Refer a buddy and get $50 bill credit is back, expires August 8, 2017.

https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/public/home.pg

The rules:

So I can't post my referral here.
If you need a referral, I suppose you can only ask one to be PM?
Forum moderators probably won't check PM's unless they get flagged by the recipient.

Yes, it's great that Koodo doubled their refer a friend credits. They've mostly been doing it this year when promo's are slow (that's why this time it's set to run out by the time back to school rolls in).

Refer a friend invites can be found via a quick web search. Only catch for using a referral from a stranger is that you're blindly trusting that they won't cancel within 90 days.

Gotta be careful even on RFD. A lot of ppl here only keep the service for 90 days to exploit the promo's. If you get a referral from them, they have to make sure they count 90 days from the most recent referral.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12447 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 6:46 am
Refer a friend invites can be found via a quick web search. Only catch for using a referral from a stranger is that you're blindly trusting that they won't cancel within 90 days.

Gotta be careful even on RFD. A lot of ppl here only keep the service for 90 days to exploit the promo's. If you get a referral from them, they have to make sure they count 90 days from the most recent referral.
Note that technically the "90 day" requirement in the terms and conditions only refers to the account remaining active for 90 days after activation, and even then it only refers to the person being referred. The only requirement mentioned for the referrer is that they have to have an active account when the credits are applied:
To be eligible for the referral credit, both of you must have active service with Koodo when the credits are applied. The person being referred must keep their account active for 90 days after activating. If service is terminated within 90 days of activating, the bill credit will be charged back to both their account and the account of the person who referred them.
So if you wanted to fight it if your referrer cancelled before your own initial 90 days were complete (as long as your credit was applied to your account already, as the only requirement is that they have an active account when the credit is applied), you'd have a pretty solid case.
Last edited by wearysky on Jul 10th, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Public Mobile
May 8, 2009
1838 posts
494 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
wearysky wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 9:12 am
Note that technically the "90 day" requirement in the terms and conditions only refers to the account remaining active for 90 days after activation, and even then it only refers to the person being referred. The only requirement mentioned for the referrer is that they have to have an active account when the credits are applied.

So if you wanted to fight it if your referrer cancelled before your own initial 90 days were complete (as long as your credit was applied to your account already, as the only requirement is that they have an active account when the credit is applied), you'd have a pretty solid case.
Interesting...I just learned something.

Has anyone taken this to the test yet? Would love to see if it works. I've been keeping my leading line active until the disconnect date of the last referred line just to be safe (plus an extra 2-4 weeks on seasonal hold doesn't hurt my game by much). If it works flawlessly in practice, I might start doing that, too. Just don't want to draw unecessary attention given that I'm already doing the seasonal hold within the 90 days, activating QC numbers to get extra tab discounts and then porting in AB numbers to buy-out at cheaper sales tax, self-referring most of my lines...
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12447 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
Dunno if it's been tested yet or not (though I'd imagine that most RFDers offering referrals to folks aren't sticking around for more than a few days after their 90 days are up, and there'd be more complaints if referrals were being clawed back).

As a quasi-related aside - it looks like Koodo has fixed the "pay off your tab early" loophole where you used to be able to pay off your tab from self service before your 90 days are up. I was waiting for my last billing period (and all my referral credits to be applied) before paying mine off, and it won't let me. :(
Public Mobile
May 8, 2009
1838 posts
494 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
wearysky wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 9:58 am
As a quasi-related aside - it looks like Koodo has fixed the "pay off your tab early" loophole where you used to be able to pay off your tab from self service before your 90 days are up. I was waiting for my last billing period (and all my referral credits to be applied) before paying mine off, and it won't let me. :(
Not sure whether it's a loophole, but it works out to the same thing. Pay today, pay tomorrow, pay the same amount anyway.

If you need the tab bought out within the 90 days, call customer service, tell them you smashed your phone associated with that line and you gotta do an early upgrade. They'll refer you to loyalty or supervisor (same thing). They'll zero out your tab, and apply a charge to the same amount, taxed according to your billing address (use an AB billing address if you want the tax dropped on this charge). Then your tab is zero, and it'll appear as a charge on your next bill. Then you're able to do your upgrade.

I think Koodo's trying to prevent subscribers from collecting a prepaid credit card at Wow off an activation, and applying that amount directly to the tab.

Koodo also won't allow you to overpay your account via credit card (unlike the other guys). But, you can overpay your Koodo account via online banking.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12447 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 11:25 am
Not sure whether it's a loophole, but it works out to the same thing. Pay today, pay tomorrow, pay the same amount anyway.

If you need the tab bought out within the 90 days, call customer service, tell them you smashed your phone associated with that line and you gotta do an early upgrade. They'll refer you to loyalty or supervisor (same thing). They'll zero out your tab, and apply a charge to the same amount, taxed according to your billing address (use an AB billing address if you want the tax dropped on this charge). Then your tab is zero, and it'll appear as a charge on your next bill. Then you're able to do your upgrade.

I think Koodo's trying to prevent subscribers from collecting a prepaid credit card at Wow off an activation, and applying that amount directly to the tab.

Koodo also won't allow you to overpay your account via credit card (unlike the other guys). But, you can overpay your Koodo account via online banking.
Well, it was a loophole for iPhone buyers that wanted to unlock the phone prior to 90 days, because the way it *used* to work (as recently as Boxing day, no idea when it changed in the interim) is this:

- Buy an iPhone on a tab
- Wait for your first bill to arrive. Pay that first bill, then go to self service and pay off your tab.
- Call in to get your phone unlocked, because your tab is now paid off
- Cancel

Not that it's a huge deal come December, but if any deals come up between now and then, folks are going to be stuck hanging around for 90 days in order to unlock. At least the $50 referral is back (hey, we're back on topic!) so you can put the plan on seasonal hold and effectively pay nothing for the period that you're waiting to be able to unlock the phone... But if you need to use it on another network prior to the 90 days being up, you've gotta find a sympathetic CSR, or you're out of luck.
Public Mobile
May 8, 2009
1838 posts
494 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
wearysky wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 11:34 am
Well, it was a loophole for iPhone buyers that wanted to unlock the phone prior to 90 days, because the way it *used* to work (as recently as Boxing day, no idea when it changed in the interim) is this:

- Buy an iPhone on a tab
- Wait for your first bill to arrive. Pay that first bill, then go to self service and pay off your tab.
- Call in to get your phone unlocked, because your tab is now paid off
- Cancel

Not that it's a huge deal come December, but if any deals come up between now and then, folks are going to be stuck hanging around for 90 days in order to unlock. At least the $50 referral is back (hey, we're back on topic!) so you can put the plan on seasonal hold and effectively pay nothing for the period that you're waiting to be able to unlock the phone... But if you need to use it on another network prior to the 90 days being up, you've gotta find a sympathetic CSR, or you're out of luck.
Ah, I can see where getting $50 unlock code for iPhone sooner is worth it. Aside that I don't see how it makes much of a difference.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12447 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 12:42 pm
Ah, I can see where getting $50 unlock code for iPhone sooner is worth it. Aside that I don't see how it makes much of a difference.
Yeah, that's really the only reason that it makes it worth bothering. I just personally wanted to do it so I could see exactly what I was charged for it in my final bill, as opposed to having to wait for a further bill to show up after that.
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 1:30 pm
i wonder how long it will take for the referral bonus/credit to post in my koodo account and where i can find them?

I have received emails from koodo that i have earned those referral credit 4+ wks ago ...

also, will seasonal affect whether 1 will receive the credit or not?
Seasonal doesn't affect receiving credits, as far as I know. My last round of credits took about 7 weeks (from just before Mother's Day), give or take.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3715 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
wearysky wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 1:52 pm
Yeah, that's really the only reason that it makes it worth bothering. I just personally wanted to do it so I could see exactly what I was charged for it in my final bill, as opposed to having to wait for a further bill to show up after that.

Seasonal doesn't affect receiving credits, as far as I know. My last round of credits took about 7 weeks (from just before Mother's Day), give or take.
7 wks ... that's still within the 90 days ... :)

(btw, thanks for responding to my post ... i deleted it as i thought it was a bad post ... :) )
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan, 2x koodo $28
[OP]
May 28, 2016
189 posts
57 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 6:46 am

I think for the person being refereed, it works so long as the person refereed you is with Koodo at the time of activation. However, you have to stay for 90 days to keep the credit.
To be eligible for the referral credit, both of you must have active service with Koodo when the credits are applied.
The person being referred must keep their account active for 90 days after activating.
May 8, 2009
1838 posts
494 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
gowifi wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 2:05 pm
I think for the person being refereed, it works so long as the person refereed you is with Koodo at the time of activation. However, you have to stay for 90 days to keep the credit.
@wearysky addressed this. Has anyone put this to the test?
[OP]
May 28, 2016
189 posts
57 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 2:33 pm
@wearysky addressed this. Has anyone put this to the test?
If some would like to use my code...
What other requirements to do I need to meet to get the reward?
In order to qualify for rewards, you must keep your account active for 90 days after activating with Koodo. If service is terminated within 90 days of activating, the value of the bill credit will be charged back to both your account and the account of the person who you referred.
May 8, 2009
1838 posts
494 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
gowifi wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 9:12 pm
If some would like to use my code...
I think this is pushing it, @TomRFD already edited your post and you could get suspended for promoting your own referrals...but OP, do you plan on cancelling your Koodo line within 90 days from now?

OP why don't you do a selfie? Refer yourself, then cancel the existing line that you used to refer the new line in less than 90 days...
[OP]
May 28, 2016
189 posts
57 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 11:09 pm
I think this is pushing it, @TomRFD already edited your post and you could get suspended for promoting your own referrals...but OP, do you plan on cancelling your Koodo line within 90 days from now?

OP why don't you do a selfie? Refer yourself, then cancel the existing line that you used to refer the new line in less than 90 days...
WTF?

You calling people to test this, and I say I have code for anyone to test out. Why don't you try out on your own? You want others to take the risk but not yourself?

@TomRFD edited my post, and was it violating anything before? He edited the post to put down his referral rules.

What would I get in return since I'm leaving soon? But I think you do have some interest here by taking my post out.

Guess who is pm people w/o consent to join your whatsapp group to "share referrals".

-------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, we can go back even further.
You are telling people that:
So people would not use a random referral. But, in fact the only thing we can come up with from the official rules was
for the person being refereed, it works so long as the person refereed you is with Koodo at the time of activation. However, you have to stay for 90 days to keep the credit.
So, my guess is, you are just trying to convince people to use your good referral instead.