Cell Phones

Koodo Referral Reward Payout

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2018 5:25 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote: I think there is a $300 cap on referrals annually.
There are 4 lines in 3 separate accounts. So, it is not even close to reaching the $300 cap.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4566 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
ToniCipriani wrote: Public Mobile exiler here:

- Initial PM signup offer received, $100 bill credit showed up on first bill.
- $100 Referral from a Koodo friend to sign myself up on 3/6, credit approved on 3/16, paid out on 4/16.
- Sent a $100 referral to a fellow PM exiler friend, referral accepted same day 3/6, denied on 3/16. Friend emailed Koodo to protest, credit was re-approved on 4/5. Confirmed with SparkRefer that I will be getting $100 as well. He got $25, I still got nothing.

So I still just got 1 referral credit pending, but I expect the last one to be some time later this month. 8 weeks so I'll give them until June.
Update: Sent a chaser to SparkRefer on 6/1, told me it might get delayed, delivery "within 2 weeks". Got the final $100 2 days later. So I'm even with them now.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote: Update: Sent a chaser to SparkRefer on 6/1, told me it might get delayed, delivery "within 2 weeks". Got the final $100 2 days later. So I'm even with them now.
Lucky you. All they have said to me is keep waiting, cheque is in the mail. They won't even tell me which day I should receive the credit even though I have pointed out 3 referrals past the 8 week point. They made no mention of further delays.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4566 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
will888 wrote: Lucky you. All they have said to me is keep waiting, cheque is in the mail. They won't even tell me which day I should receive the credit even though I have pointed out 3 referrals past the 8 week point. They made no mention of further delays.
Well at some point CCTS is your friend...
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote: Well at some point CCTS is your friend...
I think so. I will give them a few more days and then I will respond with a firmer message. I will ask for dates and with threat that the case will be escalated.
Nov 29, 2013
113 posts
42 upvotes
Hm, has anyone done a referral recently and gotten the email back confirming referral?

Apparently the way they're paying out referrals is changing, so instead of 1 lump sum, it's spread over a couple months. Can anyone confirm with an email or whatnot?
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen, Huawei P9+, Essential PH-1
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56, 50min/50txt Chatr Plan for $10
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
crayonhead wrote: Hm, has anyone done a referral recently and gotten the email back confirming referral?

Apparently the way they're paying out referrals is changing, so instead of 1 lump sum, it's spread over a couple months. Can anyone confirm with an email or whatnot?
I can tell you that the referral guys are one big cluster fudge. I had a number of referrals that were approved in early April. I contacted them in the first week of June to find out status. They gave me a canned response telling me the payout takes 8 weeks from day of referral approval. In my case, they said I had to wait a bit longer which was not true. I did give them the benefit of the doubt and contacted them a week later. I said I waited another week now and from approval day, I am well past 8 weeks. They respond to me that they are working on my case whatever that means and that I should wait 1-2 weeks longer due to delays associated with high volume of rewards. Next week, I intend to continue the pressure and I will inform them that anything other than funds in account right away, I am seeking help from the CCTS. I have had it with the referral rewards department. BTW, calling the regular customer service does not help. They say they have nothing to do with it and they can't even tell how many referrals we have approved. They only see it when the rewards go into the account. Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
Aug 3, 2010
402 posts
927 upvotes
Woodbridge
crayonhead wrote: Hm, has anyone done a referral recently and gotten the email back confirming referral?

I got a credit of $100 on June 14, 2018, for a couple of referrals. The referrals were initiated around April 19th.

Honestly, Koodo has a very generous referral system and great plans/offers/promos. I don't mind the new referral payout structure if it means minimizing abuse of the system but will allow them to continue offering referrals at all.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
qdn745 wrote: I got a credit of $100 on June 14, 2018, for a couple of referrals. The referrals were initiated around April 19th.

Honestly, Koodo has a very generous referral system and great plans/offers/promos. I don't mind the new referral payout structure if it means minimizing abuse of the system but will allow them to continue offering referrals at all.

How do we abuse the system. The payments are purely in their hands to finalize and issue. The customers are abused by them.
Nov 29, 2013
113 posts
42 upvotes
Mind you, what I'm talking about seems to have updated maybe last week? I saw something on the kiosk where I went that there was an update to the T&C on June 8th Not sure what changed during that time.
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen, Huawei P9+, Essential PH-1
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56, 50min/50txt Chatr Plan for $10
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
crayonhead wrote: Mind you, what I'm talking about seems to have updated maybe last week? I saw something on the kiosk where I went that there was an update to the T&C on June 8th Not sure what changed during that time.
The major change is clarification on eligibility for plans on seasonal hold.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
I have to resurrect this stale thread. I am still battling with Koodo to get my referral rewards that have been approved. In the latest round back and forth emails, they are claiming payments made in the past are for referrals that I claim have not been paid out. This BS is going nowhere fast. I will give them one last chance and I will escalate the discussion with a higher level of authority. I am done with the incompetence.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
will888 wrote: I have to resurrect this stale thread. I am still battling with Koodo to get my referral rewards that have been approved. In the latest round back and forth emails, they are claiming payments made in the past are for referrals that I claim have not been paid out. This BS is going nowhere fast. I will give them one last chance and I will escalate the discussion with a higher level of authority. I am done with the incompetence.
Thank you for creating this thread and thank you also for sharing your experience here. I am also having a hard time with them. They only credited me $25 for the $100 referral. I contacted them and they said that I did not activate online which is why they only gave me $25, but that is not true, I did activate online. I replied back to them and now they are telling me to be "patient". Tomorrow I am porting out to Rogers. I'm not happy with Koodo's customer service at all lately. To make matters worse I want to send in my Essential Phone to have the grill issue fixed but I'm not sure if they will even help me once I am no longer a customer.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: Thank you for creating this thread and thank you also for sharing your experience here. I am also having a hard time with them. They only credited me $25 for the $100 referral. I contacted them and they said that I did not activate online which is why they only gave me $25, but that is not true, I did activate online. I replied back to them and now they are telling me to be "patient". Tomorrow I am porting out to Rogers. I'm not happy with Koodo's customer service at all lately. To make matters worse I want to send in my Essential Phone to have the grill issue fixed but I'm not sure if they will even help me once I am no longer a customer.
When the referral was approved, you should have received an email confirming that they approved it with an official amount. To me that is the receipt. I have kept each and every email received. I have confirmations that matches to the referral records on their site which unfortunately only shows the person being referred and the approval date with no amount.

I got another response from them this morning saying they will look further into my case. What intrigues me is the fact that they initially acknowledged agreement on the outstanding referrals and amounts. They end their replies with the usual wait 8 weeks for the payout. When I reminded the guy that I was knocking on their door because the 8 week waiting period has long past, he then pulls out the BS story about payments already been made. Now he is pretending to be confused and need thinking time so he can go outside and consume a pack of cancer sticks before deciding what new BS story to give me. Tonight I am going to compile all my emails for approved referrals and payouts, take screen caps and email it off to them. If in the next week they are unable to figure it out, I am going up the line.

BTW, the essential phone has a pretty bad repairability index based on ifixit. Since Telus has no more stock, returning your phone amounts to giving up on it. I don't see any policy on refunds during warranty period. It might come down to that. Is the loss of a speaker grill the end of the world? I was told my two phones have the crappy grill. I can't really tell. All I know is that what was in the slot seems to still be there. If it hasn't fallen out in 7 months, it is unlikely to fall out in the future.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
will888 wrote: When the referral was approved, you should have received an email confirming that they approved it with an official amount. To me that is the receipt. I have kept each and every email received. I have confirmations that matches to the referral records on their site which unfortunately only shows the person being referred and the approval date with no amount.

I got another response from them this morning saying they will look further into my case. What intrigues me is the fact that they initially acknowledged agreement on the outstanding referrals and amounts. They end their replies with the usual wait 8 weeks for the payout. When I reminded the guy that I was knocking on their door because the 8 week waiting period has long past, he then pulls out the BS story about payments already been made. Now he is pretending to be confused and need thinking time so he can go outside and consume a pack of cancer sticks before deciding what new BS story to give me. Tonight I am going to compile all my emails for approved referrals and payouts, take screen caps and email it off to them. If in the next week they are unable to figure it out, I am going up the line.

BTW, the essential phone has a pretty bad repairability index based on ifixit. Since Telus has no more stock, returning your phone amounts to giving up on it. I don't see any policy on refunds during warranty period. It might come down to that. Is the loss of a speaker grill the end of the world? I was told my two phones have the crappy grill. I can't really tell. All I know is that what was in the slot seems to still be there. If it hasn't fallen out in 7 months, it is unlikely to fall out in the future.
I would love a refund. I hate the phone. I just got an iPhone X. I guess "hate" is kind of strong, but I definitely don't like it and I will remember it as the phone that spurred me on to switch to Apple.

My plan was to RMA the phone with Koodo and then sell the new one they send me back.

Now that I've ported out I am hoping they can cut me a cheque for the outstanding $75 for the referral. I may involve the CCTS.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: I would love a refund. I hate the phone. I just got an iPhone X. I guess "hate" is kind of strong, but I definitely don't like it and I will remember it as the phone that spurred me on to switch to Apple.

My plan was to RMA the phone with Koodo and then sell the new one they send me back.

Now that I've ported out I am hoping they can cut me a cheque for the outstanding $75 for the referral. I may involve the CCTS.
Apart from a speaker grill that has slipped out, what other malaise does the phone have that is not cosmetic? Are you located in the GTA? For the "right price", I would consider taking it off your hands.

Good luck with getting the referral pay out. I am having doubts about collecting mine and I am still a legit paying customer, not on seasonal hold. I just sent another scathing email response tonight. The next write up will likely be to the office of the president and then the CCTS.

Going off topic a bit, the essential phone on android O lost the APN addition function. When I checked reddit, there were posts talking about how google has added a feature in the OS that allows the carriers to turn the APN addition function on and off. I sent an inquiry to the CRTC asking them about this and whether something evil like this constitutes a backdoor to violation of the wireless code governing SIM locking phones. If the APN configuration file is butchered and APN addition removed, we would effectively be blocked from using the phone on other networks. I thought the CRTC would respond unfavorably and ask what kind of recreational drugs I am abusing. I was totally surprised that they took my inquiry seriously and sent off my concern to Koodo to respond. The 20 calendar day count down clock has started.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
Fresh update. Last night I received an email confirming some more money coming my way. At this point, I am up to date on all referrals that have been approved more than 8 weeks ago. I have only 2 more referrals left which are a week away from reaching the 8 week mark. They will be hearing from me in about weeks time. I am not going to take the foot off the gas pedal until every approved payout is received.

On a side note, it appears that subsequent referrals may be resetting the 8 week count down for earlier referrals. This is the only way to explain why I had been experiencing such delays with payout. My payouts have always covered a bunch of approved referrals, never one approved referral at a time. Literally every approval has a unique date. If there was a count down clock for each, there would be many little payments. It is never happened this way. It has pretty much been one or two payments per one line.
Dec 7, 2016
352 posts
206 upvotes
I self-referred a new line. On the first bill, I got the referral credit on my new line but not on the line that I used to refer out to. :( Is this normal? It's my first time referring
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
xsomsicarius wrote: I self-referred a new line. On the first bill, I got the referral credit on my new line but not on the line that I used to refer out to. :( Is this normal? It's my first time referring
Very normal based on my own experiences with being the referring party. I don't get paid until two month and more have passed. The last of my lines getting paid out has been nothing short of pulling teeth. It was past 10 weeks and idiot responding to my inquiry said you have to wait 8 weeks. I literally had to tell the guy that I had to either pull off a pair of socks or doff the underwear to keep the count going. The battle is still ongoing. This is why I started this thread. I have about a week of patience left. Then I will escalate. Enough with advocating.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29537 posts
20456 upvotes
Three months later, this journey with collecting Koodo referral rewards has finally ended. After much wheel spin with the folks in the referral department, I decided to escalate the case to level 2 customer service. The person in level 1 customer service tempered by expectations prior to handing my case up the line with the usual we are two separate departments taking care of very different responsibilities that are not overlapping. I gave the level 2 supervisor the long story about the huge run around that I have endured over and over again. She agreed to contact the referral department herself and get back to me tomorrow with an update. Within one hour of having that conversation, I got an email notification that the referral rewards have been credited to my account. Lesson learned here, if the referral department is of no help, go up the food chain through regular customer service. Now that I have finally extracted all I can from this, it is time to go back to Public Mobile and see if this journey has an episode 2.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)