Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Koodo

Targeted Public Mobile 12/120 to Koodo 6gb for $40 No Referrals

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2018 3:47 pm

Poll: Did you transfer to Koodo?

• Total votes: 418. You have voted on this poll.
1) Yes

68%
2) No

32%

Poll ended at Apr 7th, 2018 8:42 pm

Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
terry0703 wrote: I believe all providers are doing per-minute billing 'rounded up to the nearest minute'.
Henry360 wrote: I spoke to a Koodo manager about this a few weeks ago. According to her, Koodo does not currently allow the disabling of outgoing LD calls. IMO, it is unlikely we’ll see a policy change here. At 50 cents/minute, there would be too much lost revenue.
tvisforme wrote: Yes, that was one of the selling points for Clearnet about 20 years ago - "per-second billing" on calls.
What's annoying, though, is that without the SIM card or the "connection" we can't use the service.
will888 wrote: I wonder how hard it is to get the 1000 LD minutes. I don't call overseas much, but it would be nice to have it especially when it's free.
Yeah, 0.5$/min LD and per-minute billing is just a highway robbery in the age of Hangouts and other VoIP apps!

It would be nice of course to have a non-expiring lot of a 1000 LD minutes or so, Public Mobile style, even if not free, but with a reasonable rate.

Besides, I was also thinking that there might be a way to somehow enforce policy of all non-canadian LD to go via Hangouts or VoIP using Hangouts or similar apps?.

I recall that Google Voice app years back has some options for handling separately international vs domestic calls with different dialers (not sure it was able to differentiate Canada vs US?). Since then, I hear that Google Voice app improved (there was even a link to the new GV app posted on these forums).
Are there any users of GV app 'round here?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Yeah, 0.5$/min LD and per-minute billing is just a highway robbery in the age of Hangouts and other VoIP apps!

It would be nice of course to have a non-expiring lot of a 1000 LD minutes or so, Public Mobile style, even if not free, but with a reasonable rate.

Besides, I was also thinking that there might be a way to somehow enforce policy of all non-canadian LD to go via Hangouts or VoIP using Hangouts or similar apps?.

I recall that Google Voice app years back has some options for handling separately international vs domestic calls with different dialers (not sure it was able to differentiate Canada vs US?). Since then, I hear that Google Voice app improved (there was even a link to the new GV app posted on these forums).
Are there any users of GV app 'round here?
I use the Google voice app. It's paired with the voice choice app to redirect selected calls through Google voice. Google voice is not discussed here much since Google clamped down on the loopholes for getting a number from Canada. Also, with apps like hangouts having improved voice quality, Google voice is unnecessary unless you happen to have your Canadian phone number registered in the system. I am going to wait until I have a few months of service with Koodo, then I will try customer service to see whether they will add a long distance add-on for free.
Jan 10, 2005
530 posts
254 upvotes
will888 wrote: I use the Google voice app. It's paired with the voice choice app to redirect selected calls through Google voice. Google voice is not discussed here much since Google clamped down on the loopholes for getting a number from Canada. Also, with apps like hangouts having improved voice quality, Google voice is unnecessary unless you happen to have your Canadian phone number registered in the system. I am going to wait until I have a few months of service with Koodo, then I will try customer service to see whether they will add a long distance add-on for free.
I have been using yak.ca for a while now. Mostly for out of Province calls (PM plan). IIRC it's 2 cents a minute (for Canada/US), no minimum, billed monthly on my credit card. You do have to call an access number, but if you have "common offenders" it's easy to automate it in your contacts. This is just because I am really cheap and had the yak profile set up btw, as I think the PM rate for LD is quite reasonable (2.7cents a minute IIRC).
Jan 10, 2005
530 posts
254 upvotes
will888 wrote: I use the Google voice app. It's paired with the voice choice app to redirect selected calls through Google voice. Google voice is not discussed here much since Google clamped down on the loopholes for getting a number from Canada. Also, with apps like hangouts having improved voice quality, Google voice is unnecessary unless you happen to have your Canadian phone number registered in the system. I am going to wait until I have a few months of service with Koodo, then I will try customer service to see whether they will add a long distance add-on for free.
I have been using yak.ca for a while now. Mostly for out of Province calls (PM plan). IIRC it's 2 cents a minute (for Canada/US), no minimum, billed monthly on my credit card. You do have to call an access number, but if you have "common offenders" it's easy to automate it in your contacts. This is just because I am really cheap and had the yak profile set up btw, as I think the PM rate for LD is quite reasonable (2.7cents a minute IIRC).
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Naveedx wrote: Fido/Rogers just sent email about +$100 GC for 28th to apr 1st, so I'm assuming Koodo and Virgin will be matching soon.
What, bonus GC started already? I thought it's a weekend thing.
Nov 10, 2009
888 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Rogido wrote: What, bonus GC started already? I thought it's a weekend thing.
Looong Weekend about to start!
Rogers $27.50 35GB
Public Mobile customer
Mar 12, 2009
330 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
Just like many users, I don't know if I should just wait till after March 31st to see what PM will offer.
I would switch if they brought back the $100 referral promotion or anything similar to that.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
BrethrenJx wrote: Just like many users, I don't know if I should just wait till after March 31st to see what PM will offer.
I would switch if they brought back the $100 referral promotion or anything similar to that.
Maybe you should start dreaming, the deal was discontinued due to RFD effect.
Mar 26, 2018
410 posts
372 upvotes
BrethrenJx wrote: Just like many users, I don't know if I should just wait till after March 31st to see what PM will offer.
There's a possibility that they don't offer anything at all once this deal expires, if they've hit their target number of PM -> Koodo migrations. It's possible that they'll make PM a 3G only network, matching their competitors (Lucky, Chatr)
Rogers - $40/105gb 5G+ CAN-US
Bell Fibe 1Gbps - $49.95
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
supremekai wrote: Essential is probably the best deal + SPC ($120 credit; $10/m for 12 months), with SPC you would need to signup without phone first, then get the phone afterwards.
Plus $25 referral credit.
Is the SPC promo a Koodo offer or from one of the other kiosk places, like Wow?

Where is it on their site?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
My Referrals is showing as "Verifying". How long does it normally take to get to
"Verified"?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2508 posts
1109 upvotes
Scarborough
Inno wrote: Can you enter the code within 2 days and buy the phone later? Or does it all have to be done in 2 days? Are they even open on Good Friday holiday?
Do you already have a Koodo account?

Order phone online and enter the code.
Tangerine
Simplii
Freedom Mobile
Nov 10, 2009
888 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Inno wrote: My Referrals is showing as "Verifying". How long does it normally take to get to
"Verified"?

Thanks.
Most change to "Approved" status in a day or two. Odd ones get stuck on "verifying" status. It has been experienced in the past that the ones that stay longer on the verifying status, eventually get rejected. having said that, I had on e that was on verifying for more then 2 weeks and then got approved.
Last edited by yogiz on Mar 29th, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogers $27.50 35GB
Public Mobile customer
Mar 12, 2009
330 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
cgtlky wrote: Maybe you should start dreaming, the deal was discontinued due to RFD effect.
Oh really? I did not know that. RFD has more impact than I had imagined.
Mar 12, 2009
330 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
HustlePeters wrote: There's a possibility that they don't offer anything at all once this deal expires, if they've hit their target number of PM -> Koodo migrations. It's possible that they'll make PM a 3G only network, matching their competitors (Lucky, Chatr)
ya that's what I was afraid of. Main reason for waiting was because I still have 2 months left on my PM account and want to use that up as much as I can to maximise my return.
I guess I should just bite the bullet now and switch.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
supremekai wrote: Do you already have a Koodo account?

Order phone online and enter the code.
Can I get an SPC card number online?
Mar 12, 2009
330 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
Inno wrote: Can I get an SPC card number online?
yes you can. Once you sign up, they will email you the number within couple of minutes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)