• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 6:17 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8340 posts
8130 upvotes
Mixam wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 6:21 pm
So to keep the bill credit I have to stay for 90 days with that particular line, not the account? Because my original line is over 90 days but the lines on the plan are brand new.
line 1 --- refer --> line 2
Line 1: no hardware upgrade - plan changed to $40/6GB plan
Line 2: new line with $40/6GB plan

If you are canceling line 1, you should get the referral credit for line 1 and line 2 according to the info which I gathered from RFD. I was too chicken to try it. I wait after I received all my referral credit for line 1 before canceling my line 1 as it costs me only 50 cents/day.

But if you let someone assume responsibility of line 1, the phone number of line 1 will go to the new owner.
Will Koodo treat this situation as if you had cancel your number?
OR
Will the referral credit move together with your number to the new owner?
I don't know as I had not try it myself.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
1x Zoomer $36 loyalty plan, 1x Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 numbers $117($72 + 2x$22.5)
Nov 11, 2008
816 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
If I get a phone with a large tab on a new line from the webstore, what's the best way to minimize monthly costs in the first 90 days?
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5045 posts
1693 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
embguy wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 9:05 pm
line 1 --- refer --> line 2
Line 1: no hardware upgrade - plan changed to $40/6GB plan
Line 2: new line with $40/6GB plan

If you are canceling line 1, you should get the referral credit for line 1 and line 2 according to the info which I gathered from RFD. I was too chicken to try it. I wait after I received all my referral credit for line 1 before canceling my line 1 as it costs me only 50 cents/day.

But if you let someone assume responsibility of line 1, the phone number of line 1 will go to the new owner.
Will Koodo treat this situation as if you had cancel your number?
OR
Will the referral credit move together with your number to the new owner?
I don't know as I had not try it myself.
On a transfer of responsibility, you keep all charges and credits up until transfer day. If you have pending referral credits, you'll get them later as long as you keep that account alive. Tab balances follow the lines on the transfer. If you transfer all remaining lines on the account, your account will close it's similar to cancelling all your Koodo service on your account. If you have them do a tab payoff before the transfer, you'll get that on the final bill. Same as any credits you receive up until the transfer (or even afterwards if the account remains active with at least one billable line).
shamans wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 3:31 am
If I get a phone with a large tab on a new line from the webstore, what's the best way to minimize monthly costs in the first 90 days?
Seasonal hold or out of province plan. Better yet, pay some money upfront and go on tab medium.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Jul 16, 2003
571 posts
212 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
titaniumtux wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 6:42 am
On a transfer of responsibility, you keep all charges and credits up until transfer day. If you have pending referral credits, you'll get them later as long as you keep that account alive. Tab balances follow the lines on the transfer. If you transfer all remaining lines on the account, your account will close it's similar to cancelling all your Koodo service on your account. If you have them do a tab payoff before the transfer, you'll get that on the final bill. Same as any credits you receive up until the transfer (or even afterwards if the account remains active with at least one billable line).
So what you are saying is that if I sold a line with a tab on it and didn't pay it off, it would transfer with the tab? And all the referrals on the "completed" tab (or by pending do you mean any that are on your list regardless of their state at the time) would stay with the account of the person that used to own the line, as well as any activation/first bill credits? The original account would also pay the monthly bill up to the day of transfer as a prorated amount?

This is all assuming it's been over 90 days on that line I'm guessing. Because I figure if it's been less than 90 days, you'd lose any of those credits like the ones that go on your first bill for that line. I'm also guessing if it's less than 90 days since that line was created, you'd lose all the referrals associated with it. Am I right?

So I guess if I was to ever take over an account from someone else, only worry I had to have was if there was still a tab balance on the line. I wouldn't get lucky though and end up with the last guys referrals lol.
2x $40/6Gb Koodo plans for PM 2016 Fall Promo subscribers
Public Mobile 12/120 plan paying $19/month for 4Gb after rewards
Koodo Seasonal hold $15/month for buying phones
3x Virgin flexdata $5/month for 1Gb in ipads/voip phones
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5045 posts
1693 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Mixam wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 7:11 am
So what you are saying is that if I sold a line with a tab on it and didn't pay it off, it would transfer with the tab? And all the referrals on the "completed" tab (or by pending do you mean any that are on your list regardless of their state at the time) would stay with the account of the person that used to own the line, as well as any activation/first bill credits? The original account would also pay the monthly bill up to the day of transfer as a prorated amount?

This is all assuming it's been over 90 days on that line I'm guessing. Because I figure if it's been less than 90 days, you'd lose any of those credits like the ones that go on your first bill for that line. I'm also guessing if it's less than 90 days since that line was created, you'd lose all the referrals associated with it. Am I right?

So I guess if I was to ever take over an account from someone else, only worry I had to have was if there was still a tab balance on the line. I wouldn't get lucky though and end up with the last guys referrals lol.
  1. if you sold a line with a tab, the new account holder inherits the tab (like any contract). Your account keeps all existing credits, and will receive future credits to your name (linked to your email/alias) if the account remains open. Yes, you are billed for service until transfer date
  2. Koodo won't allow a transfer of responsibility within 90 days. Must reach the 90 days mark, no exceptions AFAIK
  3. Correct
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3205 posts
1172 upvotes
Ontario
So you need to get a referral from someone else to begin this process?
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8340 posts
8130 upvotes
TCWeasel wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:54 am
Yes if you are not already a Koodo postpaid subscriber.
Otherwise, you can self-refer yourself to get bill credit from both lines(current + new).
Last edited by embguy on Mar 13th, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
1x Zoomer $36 loyalty plan, 1x Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 numbers $117($72 + 2x$22.5)
Nov 11, 2008
816 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
TCWeasel wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:54 am
You do not.

Ask your coworkers and friends. You each get $25 as the base offer for doing so. It's also good practice for verifying how their process works.
Nov 11, 2008
816 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 6:42 am
Seasonal hold or out of province plan. Better yet, pay some money upfront and go on tab medium.
Which of these options is in compliance with maintaining an "active?/good?" line for 90 days for the referral credit? (before the line is cancelled)
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5045 posts
1693 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
shamans wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:14 pm
You do not.

Ask your coworkers and friends. You each get $25 as the base offer for doing so. It's also good practice for verifying how their process works.
I think @embguy gave a more clear answer to that question.

This thread is to discuss how the process works.
shamans wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:18 pm
Which of these options is in compliance with maintaining an "active?/good?" line for 90 days for the referral credit? (before the line is cancelled)
Once you're approved for credits, either should be ok. Note that it might flag your account and prevent you from getting referral credits later. Big YMMV, feel free to report back.
Jan 4, 2014
673 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
So when you refer yourself a new line, do you end up paying the monthly fee for that line? I don't quite understand how you benefit much from this.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5045 posts
1693 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ahumanbeing wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:05 pm
So when you refer yourself a new line, do you end up paying the monthly fee for that line? I don't quite understand how you benefit much from this.
Refer yourself and you get the referrer credit plus the referee credit. If you're going multi-line, that's the way to do it.

Of course the added line is billable. Though sometimes the referral credits can offset the monthly charge in the short term. That $100 referral credit can cover your 90 days on a phone churn (or most of it) or 14 months of Koodo home phone (before tax), and can refer out from that line as well for more credits. A self-referral at $25 a piece lands you $50 to the account. When doubled, that lands you $100 to the account.

This thread is not to discuss promo fluctuation (when referral credits peak/double, etc.) but rather to discuss the actual process (since Koodo CSR's and their community forum probably won't work you through this).

To further discuss the promo's & churning phones, see other threads in cellphones and hot deals. :lol:
Jan 4, 2009
164 posts
44 upvotes
Calgary
Would it be worth mentioning that registering with a referral link when it shows upgraded referral amounts only locks in the amount when a user registers/redeems their email? I think a bunch of PM customers are finding out the hard way.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5045 posts
1693 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
aznhulk wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 6:35 pm
Would it be worth mentioning that registering with a referral link when it shows upgraded referral amounts only locks in the amount when a user registers/redeems their email? I think a bunch of PM customers are finding out the hard way.
Less concerned about that. This thread assumes one understands how to "receive" a referral. This is to help users self-refer and refer out on multi-line :D

If you wanna word it nicely and add it as part of a FAQ, feel free to do so in thread summary.
Jul 16, 2003
571 posts
212 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
@titaniumtux Thanks I set up my two lines on my account with their own referrals following this guide. I would think there would have to be an easier way to do this, it's rather complicated. But it worked. Step I got stuck on was the step where it says you need permission from the account holder or some such. From the wording, I though I was going to get sent an email so I was looking for it. Then I went back to the instructions and reread that part and presto, it worked :)

Thanks!

PS. I'm glad I didn't wait for the sim cards to arrive to have one refer the other, because the $100 referral was gone by then so I would have only got $50 with the self referring this time but I should be getting the $100 now. I didn't self refer this time because I was already maxed out. So I helped someone else out.
2x $40/6Gb Koodo plans for PM 2016 Fall Promo subscribers
Public Mobile 12/120 plan paying $19/month for 4Gb after rewards
Koodo Seasonal hold $15/month for buying phones
3x Virgin flexdata $5/month for 1Gb in ipads/voip phones

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)