• Jun 18th, 2018 6:17 am
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5054 posts
1695 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Mixam wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:51 pm
@titaniumtux Thanks I set up my two lines on my account with their own referrals following this guide. I would think there would have to be an easier way to do this, it's rather complicated. But it worked. Step I got stuck on was the step where it says you need permission from the account holder or some such. From the wording, I though I was going to get sent an email so I was looking for it. Then I went back to the instructions and reread that part and presto, it worked :)

Thanks!

PS. I'm glad I didn't wait for the sim cards to arrive to have one refer the other, because the $100 referral was gone by then so I would have only got $50 with the self referring this time but I should be getting the $100 now. I didn't self refer this time because I was already maxed out. So I helped someone else out.
All good, glad it worked.

It used to be much easier Pre-September 2017, but then Koodo tightened the grip, revamped the system, started filtering out Gmail aliases and made these steps mandatory. They made referral profile hard-linked to self-serve profile back in Spring 2017, but that didn't seem to stop us from referring out easily (prior to September 2017, could still "find my friend" via phone number and generate link off any line effectively bypassing SMS validation).
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5054 posts
1695 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
@embguy I think you mentioned you port numbers back and forth between Virgin and Koodo. Say you have a phone number (example 403-RED-FLAG) with Koodo. Then you port it to Virgin. Then after 90 days, you port it back to Koodo. Some number to your name. Do you still get referral credits?
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8340 posts
8130 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:40 pm
@embguy I think you mentioned you port numbers back and forth between Virgin and Koodo. Say you have a phone number (example 403-RED-FLAG) with Koodo. Then you port it to Virgin. Then after 90 days, you port it back to Koodo. Some number to your name. Do you still get referral credits?
I ported Koodo number to 1 Virgin postpaid and 2 Virgin prepaid. In a few days, I need to cancel my Virgin postpaid.
I have not decided whether I will port it back to Koodo yet. But I was leaning to call Virgin to cancel it before you asked the question today.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
1x Zoomer $36 loyalty plan, 1x Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 numbers $117($72 + 2x$22.5)
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5054 posts
1695 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
embguy wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:00 pm
I ported Koodo number to 1 Virgin postpaid and 2 Virgin prepaid. In a few days, I need to cancel my Virgin postpaid.
I have not decided whether I will port it back to Koodo yet. But I was leaning to call Virgin to cancel it before you asked the question today.
Ha! So you have not yet ported Virgin to Koodo (with a number you had previously on Koodo) at the time of a Koodo activation?

Would be interesting to know whether that would prevent referral credits.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8340 posts
8130 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:49 pm
Ha! So you have not yet ported Virgin to Koodo (with a number you had previously on Koodo) at the time of a Koodo activation?

Would be interesting to know whether that would prevent referral credits.
I always let Koodo system picks a number on new activation. I am too chicken to deviate from what is working.
1x Zoomer $36 loyalty plan, 1x Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 numbers $117($72 + 2x$22.5)
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5054 posts
1695 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
embguy wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:53 pm
I always let Koodo system picks a number on new activation. I am too chicken to deviate from what is working.
Good call. Just wondered if anyone had tried taking a Koodo number that was previously to their name back to Koodo and getting referral credits. I know @embguy since you're in AB, you get AB numbers off the bat anyway, meaning TMS will never deny you AB numbers for cheapest sales tax :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8340 posts
8130 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 2:41 pm
Good call. Just wondered if anyone had tried taking a Koodo number that was previously to their name back to Koodo and getting referral credits. I know @embguy since you're in AB, you get AB numbers off the bat anyway, meaning TMS will never deny you AB numbers for cheapest sales tax :lol:
Now, I know why you want to port a number, especially AB number, back to Koodo.

Koodo bill credit is awarded to new subscriber by unique email address. Koodo also matches the subscriber's name against the name used to redeem the referral. So far so good, will Koodo trace the phone number back to previous account? Well, I don't know.

The difference between the AB and ON tax is 8%. 8% for $360 medium + $15x3 SH = $32.40 saving which will not cover the self-referral $50. But you are risking only $17.60 to test the Koodo referral system. But if you buy the phone on medium tab with 350k pts, you are making $20 less which is not a deal breaker.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5054 posts
1695 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
embguy wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 3:12 pm
Now, I know why you want to port a number, especially AB number, back to Koodo.

Koodo bill credit is awarded to new subscriber by unique email address. Koodo also matches the subscriber's name against the name used to redeem the referral. So far so good, will Koodo trace the phone number back to previous account? Well, I don't know.

The difference between the AB and ON tax is 8%. 8% for $360 medium + $15x3 SH = $32.40 saving which will not cover the self-referral $50. But you are risking only $17.60 to test the Koodo referral system. But if you buy the phone on medium tab with 350k pts, you are making $20 less which is not a deal breaker.
+1

Won't risk it for jeopardizing referral credits. Plus I activate on QC numbers, so I benefit from lower rate plans on tab medium.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8340 posts
8130 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 8:27 pm
+1

Won't risk it for jeopardizing referral credits. Plus I activate on QC numbers, so I benefit from lower rate plans on tab medium.
Good choice as you live in Ottawa and will be easy to get a QC number.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5054 posts
1695 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
embguy wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 8:55 pm
Good choice as you live in Ottawa and will be easy to get a QC number.
Slightly off-topic, but had to show a QC utility bill and pass credit check on SIN rather than DL to activate QC numbers rather than ON numbers. TMS is strict :lol: though other dealers in Ottawa are more laid back. Wasn't a fake address, but had to jump through those hoops at first. Now my TMS guy activates Gatineau, QC numbers for me each time.

Back to topic though. Would be an interesting social experiment to see whether one could rake referral credits to their name with a number they previously had on Koodo (port out, port in) regardless of province.

Still trying to figure out by what Koodo means by "new user". I get that they filter by email, but no idea for phone numbers. Just that if I have valuable numbers that I can sell down the road on Kijiji, it's tempting to keep porting back and forth until the number sells.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8340 posts
8130 upvotes
Koodo has automated the referral process. Just my observation. I got a new phone last Saturday with the 350k points. When I entered my new phone number at the referral form. I got the Koodo referral approval email right away. The referral status changed from Awaiting to Verifying to Approval within seconds. This is the first since I started self-referral last year. It will be great if Koodo will automate the credit deposit. As far as I know, it is manually done to make sure that we don't get extra bill credit...
Jul 16, 2003
571 posts
212 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I always wondered with self referral if they care the the name on the line referring is the same as the name on the line referred? Do you guys do that or put them under different names?
2x $40/6Gb Koodo plans for PM 2016 Fall Promo subscribers
Public Mobile 12/120 plan paying $19/month for 4Gb after rewards
Koodo Seasonal hold $15/month for buying phones
3x Virgin flexdata $5/month for 1Gb in ipads/voip phones
Jan 4, 2009
165 posts
44 upvotes
Calgary
Mixam wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 10:10 pm
I always wondered with self referral if they care the the name on the line referring is the same as the name on the line referred? Do you guys do that or put them under different names?
Usually you would use your same name, because you could be setting up a phone for your kids where you don't want them to have access to the account. Although I was able to put in basically a short form of my name and a partial last name for one of the $100 referrals. Like @embguy mentioned above, the process seems to be automated. I think they really just key on email address.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
14982 posts
4046 upvotes
Toronto
rolomonster wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 5:24 pm
It's linked to your phone number which is linked to your account. That's why they asked now to make sure your phone number has fully ported over before confirming your referral.

I also don't think that you can do a transfer of responsibility on an account less than 90 days in.
Koodo sends out emails informing customers of when a referral has been fully approved. I would imagine once that email is received it is okay to make number changes even though payment will not land in the account for another 8 weeks.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
14982 posts
4046 upvotes
Toronto
aznhulk wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 2:46 am
Usually you would use your same name, because you could be setting up a phone for your kids where you don't want them to have access to the account. Although I was able to put in basically a short form of my name and a partial last name for one of the $100 referrals. Like @embguy mentioned above, the process seems to be automated. I think they really just key on email address.
I did my account set up at a Koodo kiosk. The agent said to me the name on each line affects call display and so he asked me for the name of the person who will be using the numbers so that callers know who they are calling. I am not too familiar with name display but I gave different names for each line as recommended.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)