Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Warm and YMMV - Huawei P20 PRO - 650 on tab medium with bill credits (ON)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2018 7:56 am
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
243 posts
268 upvotes

[Koodo] Warm and YMMV - Huawei P20 PRO - 650 on tab medium with bill credits (ON)

My Koodo account was recently targeted with the 150 bill credit if upgrading a device on a tab medium. I have my eyes set on the P20 Pro or LG G7 and noticed today that the P20 pro is 350 on tab medium with 150 bill credits. The math works like this

350 up front + province tax (I believe tax needs to be added on the up front cost but correct me if i'm wrong) = 395.5 (13% tax in Ontario)
15 a month x 24 months = 360 + tax = 406.8
Total cost = 802.3 - 150 bill credits = 652.3

If you're account is eligible for the 150 bill credit, I think this is a pretty good deal. I haven't seen the P20 pro at a lower cost then this so far.

However, while this offer is tempting, black friday and boxing day just around the corner and there may be even better deals which makes pulling the trigger on this not that easy
Images
  • 1.jpg
14 replies
Jun 28, 2018
89 posts
44 upvotes
I prefer to wait mate20 is coming soon
Nov 21, 2017
708 posts
649 upvotes
Most reviews I've seen say the difference between the P20 and P20 pro, while substantial on paper, doesn't really translate to a much better user experience, especially in terms of screen appearance, battery life and photo quality. This is why I opted to go with the P20, since Koodo is offering that one for $210 after $150 in bill credits. Killer deal, esp when you consider people were tripping over one another one year ago when Koodo was offer the Essential at around $240.
Jul 1, 2008
247 posts
49 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I went for P20 as well considering not a huge difference with P20 pro
Nov 11, 2009
392 posts
97 upvotes
Edmonton
What about the camera on the P20? How does it compare to the P20 Pro?
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3649 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
SRG01 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2018 2:31 pm
What about the camera on the P20? How does it compare to the P20 Pro?
the p20 pros ability to capture low light is significantly better than the non-pro. this would be the main reason to upgrade if you're looking for a better camera. otherwise, any smartphone camera from the past 3-4 years is more than good enough for general daytime shots.

i wouldn't consider the non-pro at all. phone spec upgrades are largely pointless to me as my iphone 6s with ios 12 is more than quick enough for anything i need to do on a phone. but low-light camera ability has always been the achilles heel in smartphone cameras. the p20 pro is a significant jump in that department.

if you dont care about the camera, i'm sure the non-pro will be fine for you.
Nov 21, 2017
708 posts
649 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Oct 14th, 2018 3:12 pm
the p20 pros ability to capture low light is significantly better than the non-pro. this would be the main reason to upgrade if you're looking for a better camera. otherwise, any smartphone camera from the past 3-4 years is more than good enough for general daytime shots.

i wouldn't consider the non-pro at all. phone spec upgrades are largely pointless to me as my iphone 6s with ios 12 is more than quick enough for anything i need to do on a phone. but low-light camera ability has always been the achilles heel in smartphone cameras. the p20 pro is a significant jump in that department.

if you dont care about the camera, i'm sure the non-pro will be fine for you.

I've seen side by side pro and non-pro night photos in reviews. While noticeable, its still a very small difference given the price spread at this point. The non-pro night shots are still very good. Here's one comparison:

For me, I got the P20 to replace the Essential. While on paper, they are very comparable phones, the P20 pics are a lot better than the Essential. It is also a lighter phone. But the real reason for the swap is that I paid $240 for the Essential a year ago on the Koodo tab , which I just sold for $275 thereby allowing me to get a brand new phone for $210, so at no extra cost to me. That's all the reason I needed to switch.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3649 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
from android authority
Low light proves a very different game. The P20 Pro performed surprisingly well, while the P20 struggled to even focus on anything but the background wall. There’s a lot more noise in this low light environment for both phones than in the first gallery, but the P20 Pro does a much better at exposing the image and capturing enough light. Compare this to the Pro’s 40MP shot, which is incredibly noisy. The 40-to-10-megapixel pixel binning employed in this camera clearly works wonders in dark shots. The regular P20’s 20MP mode isn’t as noisy, as it uses the monochrome sensor, but the color balance takes a notable red hue compared to the standard shot and it is even more underexposed.

Pixel binning helps the P20 Pro's 10MP camera capture more light and detail.

...There’s a clear improvement for both cameras when using this mode, so I’d certainly recommend using it when shooting at night. Again the P20 Pro offers the better exposure, lower noise, and superior color balance. If you look at the full picture, you’d be forgiven for thinking I cheated and switched the light on (don’t worry I didn’t).
from anandtech
The P20 Pro’s 10MP shot is able to offer much better dynamic range and thus also better contrast than the Galaxy S9 or for that matter any of the other comparison devices. The P20 also does extremely well in terms of exposure, coming very similar to the P20 Pro, but having a noticeable disadvantage in terms of detail retention.

...the P20 Pro outright flexes its muscles as it’s able to be the uncontested winner in terms of dynamic range, exposure, colour balance and detail retention by a large margin over all other phones. The P20 follows the P20 Pro in terms of exposure, but its detail retention is no better than competing smartphones.
and an extreme low light photo comparison from anandtech review without using night mode (no long exposures which is definitely more handy for shots that aren't just static landscapes):
p20 pro:

p20:

overall i think the p20 is still a great camera phone for sure! but i think the difference is pretty drastic. 'night mode' is still pretty good on the non-pro, but i want the ability to take photos at concerts and such where there is a lot of motion happening, and unfortunately night mode can't compensate for that much movement.

once again its a very niche need, as for me its pretty important but im sure most people wont care.

anyway i would probably have jumped on this deal if i got the $150 bill credit, but nope.
Dec 27, 2015
169 posts
211 upvotes
Nepean, ON
I think there's a lot more at stake here than just the cameras.

P20 Pro also has that non-pro doesn't : ip67 resistance, AMOLED screen, bigger screen, 2gb more ram and most importantly much bigger battery.

To ignore all of the above and how it contributes to every day experience is absolutely foolish.

P20 is an amazing mid range phone with mid range features. P20 Pro is an absolute beast of a flagship.

But Mate 20/Pro are coming 2 days from now...
Dec 10, 2015
29 posts
29 upvotes
Montréal
Due to an "error", I was able to purchase my Huawei P20 Pro for 50 upfront on a tab medium. At the time, I didn't know I had to pick a new plan to use the $150 credit. I just called back later and they put me back onto my original 4GB/31.50$ plan. That was back in August. I don't know if they'd still be willing to put you back on your original plan.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
4447 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
BD_Deal_Seeker wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 12:00 am
Due to an "error", I was able to purchase my Huawei P20 Pro for 50 upfront on a tab medium. At the time, I didn't know I had to pick a new plan to use the $150 credit. I just called back later and they put me back onto my original 4GB/31.50$ plan. That was back in August. I don't know if they'd still be willing to put you back on your original plan.
wow, you should've posted that.
Phones for sale
Signing up for Koodo / Public Mobile ? 😉
Dec 10, 2015
29 posts
29 upvotes
Montréal
Gotoff wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 12:13 am
wow, you should've posted that.
I did, it's in the Rogers Winback thread...
Jan 24, 2015
252 posts
87 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
OP should specify the $650 is after HST, makes the deal look worse than it is. wish i had bill credits.

and you all are missing the best part of the p20 pro from koodo, the twilight colour is available and it is amazing, worth the extra $$$
Apr 5, 2015
928 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Don't forget the battery life of the p20 pro. Guaranteed won't have to charge for the whole day. It's a game changer. Best battery in the market