• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2019 2:57 pm
Feb 8, 2019
12 posts
4 upvotes
Howitzer1 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 9:23 am
Darn, OOS now?

It doesn't show on the website anymore under Pre-owned...
Yeah, I don't see it anymore either. Looks like I got one of the last ones.
Feb 8, 2019
12 posts
4 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 8:28 pm
Except you loose the superwide on the G5/6/7 (although you get a low res telephoto). Big deal for some.
It's an actual hardware telephoto to 3.0x and a Hybrid to 5x after that it's software to 10x. Im not sure I would call it "Low res to 5x" it's the best looking telephoto on a phone period DXO mark shows what it can do, and it does it well. I expect the P30 Pro to be released here soon with 4 lenses to have that wide angle option with all others.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2722 posts
2114 upvotes
JamiesonC84669 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 11:13 pm
It's an actual hardware telephoto to 3.0x
Backed by an 8MP sensor, yuck.
JamiesonC84669 wrote:
and a Hybrid to 5x after that it's software to 10x.
That runs off mostly interpolation. Yuck.
JamiesonC84669 wrote:
Im not sure I would call it "Low res to 5x" it's the best looking telephoto on a phone period
What gives you that idea?
JamiesonC84669 wrote:
DXO mark shows what it can do, and it does it well.
Ahh, as Adam from Mythbusters would say: There's your problem.

I urge you to do some research on DXO Mark. Suffice it to say there is a good amount of doubt out there as to their impartiality.

Look, if you're happy with the pictures it produces for you great, but to call an 8MP backed photo "best looking telephoto" simply defines the laws of physics. Unsharp mask on.
Feb 8, 2019
12 posts
4 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 7:31 am
Backed by an 8MP sensor, yuck.

That runs off mostly interpolation. Yuck.

What gives you that idea?

Ahh, as Adam from Mythbusters would say: There's your problem.

I urge you to do some research on DXO Mark. Suffice it to say there is a good amount of doubt out there as to their impartiality.

Look, if you're happy with the pictures it produces for you great, but to call an 8MP backed photo "best looking telephoto" simply defines the laws of physics. Unsharp mask on.
All fair ponts. But mega pixel is not the end all be all of all things especially considering this thing CAN do 40 mega pixel but at 10MP its default setting the combination of these "low res lenses" make a pretty decent picture.

I've watched countless hours of others video on YouTube and been to countless other websites scanning photos and comparisons as I like to research it's fun for me which is why I ended up doing a few degrees in my younger days.

Point is, overall using manual mode mostly this set of cameras are the best out there currently until p30 pros come out. I don't see any other phone that can touch this one based on my experience and the experience of many others, so there seems to be somewhat of a consensus that at a minimum, this is the best or one of the best and most versatile camera phones out there.

That is good enough for me and the results are already proving themselves to me, because I'm finding opportunity to take photos which tells me I think the quality is decent for my needs. Coming as a guy with an SLR photography background as well, I'd say that's saying something but to each their own until they try it themselves it's like describing how awesome the Sistine Chapel is from a picture of it instead of actually being there.
Apr 29, 2003
63 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
Received package today with generic Koodo Certified pre-owned phone. But it doesn't include Earphones and basic clear case, only USB Type-C to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter. Is that normal?
Since Cert Pre-owned p20 pro page is not accessible, I checked pre-owned p20 page , it says
Package Content: HUAWEI P20, Earphones, Ejection Pin, USB Type-C charging cable and adapter, USB Type-C to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter, DocumentationDevice, AC adapter, USB data cable
Feb 8, 2019
12 posts
4 upvotes
bravew wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 9:38 pm
Received package today with generic Koodo Certified pre-owned phone. But it doesn't include Earphones and basic clear case, only USB Type-C to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter. Is that normal?
Since Cert Pre-owned p20 pro page is not accessible, I checked pre-owned p20 page , it says
I got the same. I would imagine they cant have the headphones in the box because it can be a biohazard of sorts, which would open them up to lawsuits, as for the case....no clue. I would have loved to have the manual more than all of that, but im sure i can download it online. Either way, it was a great buy at a great price! Enjoy it!
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
1324 posts
110 upvotes
I got offered brand new p20 $0 on medium tab $45 4gb or p20 pro $0 on large tab and $199 bill credit
Feb 28, 2008
755 posts
290 upvotes
Canada
leadersuper699 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 3:28 pm
I got offered brand new p20 $0 on medium tab $45 4gb or p20 pro $0 on large tab and $199 bill credit
Go with whichever one you like, just be aware that tab large plans would cost you at least $1030 more over the next two years than that medium plan. Unless they give me at least $1000 in credit, I'd never go for tab large for the next two years.
Jan 27, 2007
24 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 8:28 pm
Except you loose the superwide on the G5/6/7 (although you get a low res telephoto). Big deal for some.
Sure, if you use the super wide often. I'd use it now and then, but overall the standard camera is my go to. I wouldn't even bother with the telephoto on the P20 Pro as the 40mp standard lense allows for more than enough cropping vs the 8mp telephoto.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2722 posts
2114 upvotes
trgTyson wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 1:15 pm
Sure, if you use the super wide often. I'd use it now and then, but overall the standard camera is my go to. I wouldn't even bother with the telephoto on the P20 Pro as the 40mp standard lense allows for more than enough cropping vs the 8mp telephoto.
While the sensor on the P20 Pro is 40MP, there is ZERO chance the lens it has is of high enough quality to resolve 40MP over such a tiny distance.

Hell, many full frame lenses have trouble resolving above 20MP, and there is ALOT bigger an area being projected (less exacting on the lens).

Here's a test to try: take the same image, one with the 8MP 2X zoom lens, one with the 'standard' 40MP camera. Shoot both in raw (DNG) to remove the horrific sharpening that most smartphone cameras subject their results to.

Then crop the 40MP result to the same FOV as the 2X image. Zoom in to the pixel level and tell me if the 40MP source image has ANY additional detail. Odds are it won't, in fact, there is a GOOD change it'll have less detail, largely due to the lens, but also due to diffraction.

You can't get around physics. 40MP on a smartphone camera is a complete and utter waste. Even in the DSLR world it's hard to find a lens that's sharp enough to resolve anywhere near 40MP.

Computational photography WILL one day get us there, but at the moment, there is ZERO substitute for a physically longer lens.
Feb 28, 2008
755 posts
290 upvotes
Canada
repatch wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 2:19 pm
While the sensor on the P20 Pro is 40MP, there is ZERO chance the lens it has is of high enough quality to resolve 40MP over such a tiny distance.

Hell, many full frame lenses have trouble resolving above 20MP, and there is ALOT bigger an area being projected (less exacting on the lens).

Here's a test to try: take the same image, one with the 8MP 2X zoom lens, one with the 'standard' 40MP camera. Shoot both in raw (DNG) to remove the horrific sharpening that most smartphone cameras subject their results to.

Then crop the 40MP result to the same FOV as the 2X image. Zoom in to the pixel level and tell me if the 40MP source image has ANY additional detail. Odds are it won't, in fact, there is a GOOD change it'll have less detail, largely due to the lens, but also due to diffraction.

You can't get around physics. 40MP on a smartphone camera is a complete and utter waste. Even in the DSLR world it's hard to find a lens that's sharp enough to resolve anywhere near 40MP.

Computational photography WILL one day get us there, but at the moment, there is ZERO substitute for a physically longer lens.
It's always easier to design lenses for smaller image circles. And perhaps you're not familiar with DSLR photography, but there are plenty of high quality lenses from almost all brands that can resolve much more than 40MP in 35mm format.

About the 40MP onthis phone, there was at least one person tested this phone against the Canon 50MP and found the quality very close, in bright sun light of course. That's certainly believable to me.