Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON

Krown or Oil Gard?

Those who are familiar with both which would you recommend especially for a new car? If Oil Gard, which formula?
42 replies
Dec 14, 2012
638 posts
190 upvotes
How the product is applied is equally important.

For example, while doing a tire rotation I looked at the underbody and noticed that many areas were not sprayed.

The "critical" areas were (likely) sprayed, however areas like behind the rear bumper where bone dry. Another area was the rear drum brake assembly and suspension mounts. I believe that particular application method was created to minimize the amount of oil (or product) falling on the driveway later on (which is the main selling point for some customers).

Krown or Rust check centers are messy oil fest's (sign that they are blasting the product all over the place)...so you know they are generous on applying the product.

I don't mind the dripping afterwards...in fact I think it's a sign of a job well done.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Looks like there is no collective opinion.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11164 upvotes
Redflagger4 wrote: How the product is applied is equally important.

For example, while doing a tire rotation I looked at the underbody and noticed that many areas were not sprayed.

The "critical" areas were (likely) sprayed, however areas like behind the rear bumper where bone dry. Another area was the rear drum brake assembly and suspension mounts. I believe that particular application method was created to minimize the amount of oil (or product) falling on the driveway later on (which is the main selling point for some customers).

Krown or Rust check centers are messy oil fest's (sign that they are blasting the product all over the place)...so you know they are generous on applying the product.

I don't mind the dripping afterwards...in fact I think it's a sign of a job well done.
Yup. Hell, Krown's own slogan is "if it doesn't drip, it doesn't work"

Oh ya, I too recommend Krown. I have been using it for years. Get friendly with the owner at the local shop. When I bring my vehicles in he sprays them himself. When I had pickup trucks, he sprayed under the box liner for me (not standard spot) took of wheel well covers, mud flaps, etc (not standard)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
alpovs wrote: Looks like there is no collective opinion.
There is no collective opinion because there is no product that really prevents rust from occurring. It is a natural thing that happens.
Todays cars are way better than the old ones and most have a rust (perforation) warranty anyway. With the spray on products, you get the same perforation warranty (except you have to re-spray, for a fee, every year to maintain that warranty). For the rust to be so bad that it rusts through and has holes, well, it is time to get rid of the car by then.
There are so many extraneous things that can contribute to rust forming that nothing will really cover you.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41796 posts
30053 upvotes
Center of Universe
Coming to RFD and looking for a collective agreement...good luck with that!
Just pick a place that is close by and ensure you consistently get the car sprayed every year.
Sep 13, 2010
592 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal
Rust proofing definitely won't completely prevent rust but it sure helps.
With my old car I had rustproofed every year when I got it (6 years old) and when I sold it after 5 years there wasn't much rust compared to the other 11 year old cars of the same model I would see on the road.
Also rust warranty from the dealership is useless, it's always perforation from rust warranty which will never happen within the warranty period.
Btw I have always used Krown.
Banned
Nov 16, 2012
1837 posts
390 upvotes
EAST YORK
TheComebackKid wrote: Rust proofing definitely won't completely prevent rust but it sure helps.
With my old car I had rustproofed every year when I got it (6 years old) and when I sold it after 5 years there wasn't much rust compared to the other 11 year old cars of the same model I would see on the road.
I can guarantee you a car that is sprayed every year for 11 years will have far less rust than one that has never been treated. Put it on a lift and you'll plainly see what I am talking about.
Sep 13, 2010
592 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal
theillest wrote: I can guarantee you a car that is sprayed every year for 11 years will have far less rust than one that has never been treated. Put it on a lift and you'll plainly see what I am talking about.
Yes I know.
That's what I basically said in my post.
My 11 year old car that was treated for 6 years had much much less rust than another car of the same model tat was never treated.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Is known a company liked lube is for oil change or a product type?

I need to do it this year.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
+1 for Krown also,

Been spraying my car since I got it 3 years ago. Also spray my parents cars from new also.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
sickcars wrote: +1 for Krown also,

Been spraying my car since I got it 3 years ago. Also spray my parents cars from new also.
Any shop recommendations? Weather is getting rather brisk lately.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I go here because its near my home. I usually only get my car rust proofed closer to the end of the year. I try to time it right before it snows and they start putting down salt. Very hard to do since they also put that brime on the ground to however I managed to do it 1 year, the day before it snowed lol.

Krown Toronto

2628 St. Clair Ave. W.
Toronto, Ontario, M6N 1M1
Phone: 416-766-2663
Krown Centre Owner: Manny Bakhshi

Supercooled wrote: Any shop recommendations? Weather is getting rather brisk lately.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
sickcars wrote: I go here because its near my home. I usually only get my car rust proofed closer to the end of the year. I try to time it right before it snows and they start putting down salt. Very hard to do since they also put that brime on the ground to however I managed to do it 1 year, the day before it snowed lol.

Krown Toronto

2628 St. Clair Ave. W.
Toronto, Ontario, M6N 1M1
Phone: 416-766-2663
Krown Centre Owner: Manny Bakhshi
I know that area.

So you do it annually? I thought these were good for at least a few years before you need to reapply? Also I can't recall the username, but he said Krown drills holes in your car? What's that about?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)