[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1045 posts
171 upvotes
Arviat
skyblue12 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 3:05 pm
gonna speak from personal experience here. I was a kumon student growing up (started when I was 4 and was the top ranked student in NA for a few years). I finished both the math and reading program, and I've been working part-time at my center for over 11 years now while supplying on the side for the TDSB.

obviously there is going to be some bias here.. but I will try to be as truthful as I can.

1. kumon is not for everyone. this is probably the most important thing to keep in mind. the kumon method focuses a LOT on repetition because the two key aspects of the program are speed and accuracy. I've met a lot of parents who don't understand this mentality and constantly ask why their child is repeating worksheets even though they've completed them before.

2. there are many things that can factor into whether your child is successful in the program or not. just because you don't see results does NOT mean your child is incapable or dumb. everybody learns in different ways, and rote learning is not always the most effective.

3. one of first questions we ask newcomers is whether their interest in the program is for enrichment or remediation. kumon is a long-term program that is focused on enrichment and not remediation. this isn't a program for students who want specific help in a certain area unfortunately.

4. it's MUCH better to start the program when you're young. when you're older, it is a lot harder to go back and rebuild shaky foundation because you're so used to doing things a certain way already.

I also wanted to touch on a point made above about tutors not being motivated or qualified to teach students. I obviously can't speak for every center, but at my center, most of the staff are either current or former students (like myself). the reason for this is because staff are already familiar with a lot of the worksheets and can work a lot more efficiently. we help students to the best of our ability not because of the pay but because we genuinely want students to succeed. we all know the pain of going through the worksheets over and over again but we also know how beneficial the program can be when done correctly.

it's honestly really hard to give a straight yes or no answer as to whether the program is worth it. for me it worked wonders.. math came so easily for me throughout my schooling and kumon ended up being one of the reasons why I chose to become a math teacher. the most you can do is be as informed as you can about the program before making a decision.

anyway I hope that helps :) feel free to ask me anything else!
Thanks For this very helpful! I am also a firm believer in repetition in order to learn and retain information so that definitely appeals to me I think my child would learn better with this method as well.
Sep 28, 2012
1 posts
Laval
Hello there, just to let you know we have been in a kumon center in Montreal for about three years. My daughter now in grade 4 she does math in kumon that is grade 7. It is a long term investment for your kid's education, and I have seen it with older kids in our centre. What I would suggest is to try different locations and choose the one that you feel is the best. We have been really lucky to have an Iranian couple running the centre and they will go above and beyond to make sure our kids excel in school. The truth is you learn math by doing math and thats what we do at kumon. If there are gaps (i.e problem solving ) we supplement at home. Good luck"