LA Noire Remaster - Nov. 14/17

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 9:09 pm
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
No word on whether it is 60 frames per second. The last gen versions were 720p native resolution and 30 fps with dips below that.
As for the story, I felt it falls apart at the resolution of the last murder case.

The Switch version will not support 4K obviously therefore I think I will probably pick up the PS4 version.

Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3246 posts
339 upvotes
Markham
How's the game? Switch version is a trade-off between graphics and portability but costs more because of cart costs.

Pre-order for Nintendo Switch $65,
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075H1 ... YIK6Y9EEQB

Pre-order PS4 and XBOne is $50
https://www.amazon.ca/Rockstar-Games-71 ... +noire+ps4
https://www.amazon.ca/Rockstar-Games-71 ... e+xbox+one
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3422 posts
247 upvotes
remastering games from barely half a decade old is ********...esp from a defunct studio

why not work harder to ensure Red Dead Redemption 2 will be delivered in 6 months as it's already been delayed?

I'm sure way more folks wanna play that than this old game...which was great back in 2011...but pretty average by today's standards.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

May 9, 2007
773 posts
196 upvotes
The problem with these remasters is you can already play the remaster now... it''s called the PC version. I was thinking about playing this game about a week ago hoping they would release a remaster and here we are! I'm still not sure if I should play the PC version or wait for the remaster.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5085 posts
1560 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 11:11 am
The problem with these remasters is you can already play the remaster now... it''s called the PC version. I was thinking about playing this game about a week ago hoping they would release a remaster and here we are! I'm still not sure if I should play the PC version or wait for the remaster.
The remaster isn't releasing on PC because it doesn't add anything the PC version doesn't already have. You can already play it at 4K and even unlock the framerate which the remaster surely won't allow because the facial capture was done at 30fps. It also only costs like $5 on sale and not $50-65 lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
A PC VR version is releasing for the HTC Vive only.
The PC release will be named LA Noire: The VR Case Files and includes ‘seven select cases from the original game rebuilt specifically for a virtual reality experience on the HTC Vive system’. There’s no mention of Oculus Rift support.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/07/l-a-noire ... z4sImj8NqW
The other improvements say there will be new lighting and new camera angles available that were not in the original release which will be available on all platforms.
One of those new camera options is an in-close over the shoulder perspective.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/07/l-a-noire ... r-6910590/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/rocks ... 0-6453176/

May 9, 2007
773 posts
196 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:21 pm
The remaster isn't releasing on PC because it doesn't add anything the PC version doesn't already have. You can already play it at 4K and even unlock the framerate which the remaster surely won't allow because the facial capture was done at 30fps. It also only costs like $5 on sale and not $50-65 lol
That's my point! You can already play these games at higher resolutions and frame rates than many of these remasters! I usually prefer to play on the console when possible. I like to get the achievements, just makes the game feel more complete that way especially when I really like a game and LA Noire seems like a real gem from what I've seen/played. Thing is it really worth shelling out an extra $50-60 for the remastered console version when you can get it for $5 on the PC?
XFactor11 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:31 pm
A PC VR version is releasing for the HTC Vive only.

The other improvements say there will be new lighting and new camera angles available that were not in the original release which will be available on all platforms.
One of those new camera options is an in-close over the shoulder perspective.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/07/l-a-noire ... r-6910590/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/rocks ... 0-6453176/

It also mentions high-resolution textures. I wonder if those are new updated HD textures and if it will look better than the current gen PC textures?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6505 posts
701 upvotes
remaster means internals are also improved, or new. Like textures, animations, etc. PCs can have higher resolutions, which is great, but how well does a 720p texture look in 4K? I'll give you a hint. It looks llike a 720p texture.

Remasters are supposed to be a bit more than just "take a slider and go to 4K with it".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5085 posts
1560 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:43 pm
It also mentions high-resolution textures. I wonder if those are new updated HD textures and if it will look better than the current gen PC textures?
This game was made so long ago that I can't imagine them actually putting in that kind of effort to upgrade all the textures nevermind animations but would be cool if I was wrong. I'm guessing this turns out to be a quick cash grab for the new consoles and a short VR gimmick for PC. If they were actually putting in substantial work on the base game remaster then I think it would've been announced for PC as well
Buggy166 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 2:37 pm
Remasters are supposed to be a bit more than just "take a slider and go to 4K with it".
agreed but they very often have been exactly that
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3422 posts
247 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 2:37 pm
remaster means internals are also improved, or new. Like textures, animations, etc. PCs can have higher resolutions, which is great, but how well does a 720p texture look in 4K? I'll give you a hint. It looks llike a 720p texture.

um, that's usually what remasters entail. Upping the res, maybe new textures. Maybe using a newer version of the engine.

You're thinking of a remake if there's changes to animation, etc.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6505 posts
701 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:06 am
um, that's usually what remasters entail. Upping the res, maybe new textures. Maybe using a newer version of the engine.

You're thinking of a remake if there's changes to animation, etc.
animations can be improved without it being a remake. A remake means the game play is touched upon. Animation curves being smoothed out or slightly adjusted to fix lipsync isnt the same thing. Mass Effect Andromeda did it for their facial anims and that wasnt anything close to a "remake", but definitely a "remaster" of that portion of the game.

Also a remake is mostly for games that are decades old and have overly simplistic game play. To transition to new age gaming, they need some sprucing up across the board, not just looks.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4735 posts
603 upvotes
I'd be pretty surprised if the textures were that lo-res, in fact as someone mentioned I'm fairly sure the PC is already using these textures. There might be some additional cleanup work and optimizations for the console but thats about it.

The recently re-mastered xbox game Phantom Dust had some 1080P textures that they were able to use when they re-mastered it despite being a 15 year old Xbox only 480p game..

As for the game itself, I played about half of it about a year after it was released and really enjoyed it but never got around to finishing, Id actually be interested in re-visiting it in 4K at some point but given its release date I'll wait till its at bargain bin prices.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
5800 posts
1584 upvotes
Montreal
I am interested, but not full price at launch. Loved that game.