Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
6833 posts
278 upvotes
Vancouver

La-z-boy? Made in China? or US?

Does anyone know if La-z-boy furniture is made in China or Made in the US?
13 replies
Nov 4, 2009
30 posts
7 upvotes
When we bought our couch from Lazyboy it took 8 weeks because it was being made down in the states. Long story shot made in the USA
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
6833 posts
278 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmm I was told by another salesperson from a different couch store that their made in china? Then maybe sent to the US and then abroad?

Maybe she was trying to discourage La-z-boy.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
3299 posts
142 upvotes
Furniture manufacturers often have plants in many places. That way they can offer many lines, including discount lines which are manufactured overseas.
Nov 4, 2009
30 posts
7 upvotes
Maybe that's just where ours was made. Different models and such. Great couch service was excellent. Heard a crack one day called had a service guy checked everything and turned out to be nothing. When the wife wanted one i was weary but would buy another one in a second
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5379 posts
362 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
It's probably quite expensive to ship the entire couch/chair from China (not to mention long wait) so chances are some parts are made in China but assembled in US. The lining or the screws for example. So technically the lady is correct.

But no matter where it is made you are supposed to trust the La-z-boy brand name to up hold their standards when delivering you that piece of furniture, no matter where it is made.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Nov 10, 2012
1 posts
VANCOUVER
Lazboy purchaced the LADD group making them a monsterous sized organization only to find it was a big mistake, after sell offs, billions of dollars later the much leaner company moved their plants to China in order to compete in the market place around 2006. Quality may or may not have dropped. My recliners are 12 years old and starting to show their age. In other countries they are licensing their name in the recliner market (Morgan Furniture of Takapuna, New Zealand) and even the license holder is sourcing their chairs from china and Tieland resulting in the loss of 200 jobs at Morgan. In their 4th quarter financial report Lazboy reported profit is up by 92% . Limited Warrenty is for covered parts of the product for various time frames for any product sold after a specific date. Usually labor is only covered for the repair for a year.. other items vary some have lifetime parts only coverage on limited items... Lazboy reserves the right to review All warrenty request to deside if the part failure warrents coverage ... They sent me new springs on my chairs no questions asked which I installed myself.
Jan 15, 2005
133 posts
6 upvotes
Long story short, My friend payed fro an expensive furniture apparently made in Italy, but when i helped him to take it inside i found the box said made in china. :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17205 posts
1481 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ceylonboy wrote:
Nov 11th, 2012 4:05 am
Long story short, My friend payed fro an expensive furniture apparently made in Italy, but when i helped him to take it inside i found the box said made in china. :facepalm:
Maybe the box was made in china?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2056 posts
268 upvotes
Newmarket
For what is worth last time I was at lazy boy I was told was made in USA.

There are some rules indicating what can be labeled made in something, and it doesn't necessarily means it totally made there, it is based on percentages of assembled parts and assembly, don't recall right now the exact amounts nor the differences for Canada ans US.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8174 posts
1930 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Why don't y'all just look in the horse's mouth rather than argue through y'all's asses?

Made in America
*Recent developments, such as the closing of major textile plants in the U.S., have forced us to go overseas for products like fabrics and leathers that are no longer available here in mass quantities. *The covers on our products may be made elsewhere, but for nearly all of our products, employees in our American factories build the frames and apply the cover. *While many of our components, including our famous recliner mechanisms, are fabricated by our dedicated employees in this country, we also consider international suppliers and laborers for some parts, such as handles and swivel bases, in order to build long-lasting furniture at an accessible price. *
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
Key word is "Nearly", so OP may still receive a Made in China one.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8174 posts
1930 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
icemasta wrote:
Nov 11th, 2012 9:15 am
Key word is "Nearly", so OP may still receive a Made in China one.
So maybe the OP would be better served by calling/emailing La-Z-Boy HQ, giving them the model number of the furniture he's interested in, and asking them where it's made. That way he's likely to get a more authoritative answer than the opinions of a bunch of random people in Canada.

In any case, the graphic I posted says, "Made in America with US and imported parts." I suspect that qualifier ("and imported parts") applies to virtually all domestic (US and Canada) manufacturers of consumer goods today.

P.S. the "nearly" may also refer to La-Z-Boy's overseas business. They do have factories in the far east, including in China, that serve more local markets, e.g. New Zealand.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
929 upvotes
Most large living room furnitre is made in North America, not just Lay-z-boy. Reason being, the manufacturing costs of these things are next to nothing, they have an enormous mark-up applied. Yet they are very large bulky items for their weight ratio. The cost to ship them from China would not be worthwhile.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
× < >