Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1291 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto

Ladies winter coats

I've been meaning to pick up another winter coat, but haven't found the perfect one yet. It's difficult to find something both warm and fashionable. =/ What coats have you ladies bought this winter and/or is there something particular you have your eye on? Pics = <3!
52 replies
Oct 11, 2008
935 posts
26 upvotes
Markham
i just got one from h&m this year and i like it a lot. it's not warm, warm, but i can always layer on those super cold days. i'll try to take a picture for you later.. too bad their site kinda sucks or i'd find one there. my friend recently got one from lululemon- it's long, had a hood and a fleece lining, and i also think it's waterproof. plus, it looks nice, too.
i'm pretty sure her's this one, but in grey-

[IMG]http://www.lululemon.com/products/_imag ... g/1259.jpg[/IMG]

i'm pretty sure the gap and old navy have warm, fashionable winter coats, too. it also depends on your budget too.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1291 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
I've been to H&M, Gap and ON, but haven't found anything I like yet. Normally, I'd expect the Gap to have something worth buying, but for some reason, none of their outwear has really appealed to me this year. I like something fitted, but many of the coats I've found recently have just hung on me. =/ Oh, well, once exams end I'll be able to really hit the stores. =D
Dec 30, 2005
958 posts
15 upvotes
When I was younger, I used to go for fashionable way over warmth. Now, I must have warmth - I don't care how puffy or unfashionable it is - and to me, this usually means down.

Here are some coats that are down-filled, and not completely dumpy-looking imo. Mendocino carries some Soia & Kyo coats. Urban Outfitters carries the brand, but I'm not sure if they also carry the coats in-store.

Soia & Kyo Carolina
Soia & Kyo Maribel
Soia & Kyo Maribel 2
Soia & Kyo Lory
Soia & Kyo Thaly
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm looking for a new jacket that's warm and nice enough to wear to work type of jacket too. My current pea coat is a few years old and needs to be upgraded. But it's a really warm pea coat and for some reason this year's pea coats are super thin and not really what I'm looking for too. I'll take a look at the jackets you suggested caliente. Thanks OP for starting this thread :)
Sep 13, 2004
87 posts
Seconding the Soia & Kyo rec.
I own a few of their pieces from a couple of seasons ago. Their coats will definitely keep you warm. And if you have a bigger budget, then try Mackage. Same company.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2288 posts
Thirding Soia & Kyo. I just got this one and it's pretty warm, but then again I'm on the west coast, so...

[IMG]http://ns1.revolveclothing.com/images/p ... O60_V1.jpg[/IMG]

Mackage also has some nice coats, but more expensive than Soia & Kyo (http://www.revolveclothing.com/brandpages/Mackage.jsp)
kuqdew wrote: And FYI, I make pretty good marks in school and is in the gifted class.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1291 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Oh, the Soia & Kyo coats look surprisingly nice for down coats. I especially like the Maribel. Thanks so much for the recommendations, caliente! I'll have to visit Mendocino. :) Where did you purchase your coat drucillica?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
Love the coat Drucillica :D I second how nice those down jackets are!!! Any other suggestions ladies? :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2288 posts
Free Willy wrote: Oh, the Soia & Kyo coats look surprisingly nice for down coats. I especially like the Maribel. Thanks so much for the recommendations, caliente! I'll have to visit Mendocino. :) Where did you purchase your coat drucillica?
I got mine at revolveclothing.com - they recently had a 30% off coupon. They ship free (even to Canada, I believe), but you might have to pay duties/taxes. They ship USPS, so there are no crazy brockerage fess, at least. I live in the states now and don't have to deal with all that BS anymore!

Setell, I bought my down jacket at Aritzia and 3 years later it's still in great shape and I still wear it. Might be worth checking out :)
kuqdew wrote: And FYI, I make pretty good marks in school and is in the gifted class.
Dec 10, 2004
871 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
Agreed with the Soia and Kyo reccs and also Mackage. I also recommend Revolve Clothing online if you don't have a ocal retailer... the selection is great and shipping is free to Canada, although you will have to pay return shipping if you're not happy.

I also like Banana Republic and J Crew coats as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1291 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Since Soia & Kyo is a Canadian brand (I'm assuming their things are made in Canada), does that mean I won't be charged duties if I buy from Revolve?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2288 posts
Free Willy wrote: Since Soia & Kyo is a Canadian brand (I'm assuming their things are made in Canada), does that mean I won't be charged duties if I buy from Revolve?
I'm not sure - maybe someone can answer that, but right now they're having 25% off sale on everything (there's some brand restrictions though, so it's a perfect time to buy :) code: NOTCOTLOVESREVOLVE
Sep 13, 2004
87 posts
I've shopped at Revolve many times over the past few years. And never was I charged extra for customs.

Now would be a good time to buy from them. They just marked down lots of inventory, including Soia & Kyo and Mackage coats.

I just bought this S&K coat that was half price plus, with the coupon code drucillica posted, I paid $124!
[IMG]http://ns1.revolveclothing.com/images/p ... O81_V1.jpg[/IMG]
Banned
Jun 23, 2008
88 posts
How do you ladies buy coats online? I find that I really need to try on the coats to see how they fit. I was at Bleu Marine & Co. today at Eaton Centre and they have a pretty good selection of Soia&Kyo coats. I tried some on and they fit quite well. Quite a few people came in and asked for these coats too. Looks like they're getting popular.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2288 posts
NaHSO4 wrote: How do you ladies buy coats online? I find that I really need to try on the coats to see how they fit. I was at Bleu Marine & Co. today at Eaton Centre and they have a pretty good selection of Soia&Kyo coats. I tried some on and they fit quite well. Quite a few people came in and asked for these coats too. Looks like they're getting popular.
Well, I live in the states, and they have free returns, so if something doesn't fit, I send it back. Also on revolve, it'll say which size the model is wearing, which is usually pretty close to my size, so that's easy too.

Lately I've been buying everything online - from shoes to coats. There's so much selection you won't find in stores and you can't beat discount codes, free shipping (which many retailers are offering now) and no tax.
Dec 10, 2004
871 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
S&K has been popular for a couple of years now... they're a little funkier but still well made.
I buy a lot online as well mainly because Holts' prices suck and the selection is better online. Once you learn how various designers fit, it's pretty easy. A lot of websites offer size guidelines which are generally helpful in terms on whether they run true to size, big, etc...
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2092 posts
449 upvotes
So just to clarify: This revolveclothing.com is free shipping to Canada and no duty upon arrival?

If so, I will order when I get home and get my US Visa Card :) (The prices are in USD right?)

If I want to order a coat, should I get small if I wear Wilfred and Talula (parka) coats in small?
Jun 26, 2008
43 posts
Toronto
I have two Mackage jackets and I adore them. They're well-made and I feel quite stylish in them. I wanted to get a Soia & Kyo jacket as well but the one I liked sold out so fast.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2092 posts
449 upvotes
I ordered the same coat as Poppycorn :P But it came out to $126 and change? Nice to see free shipping to Canada! I've never had that except for a shipping delay by JCrew.

Can someone confirm duty is rare on their purchases? I didn't have to pay duty on a JCrew item a few months ago.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)