• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2014 8:40 pm
Tags:
None
May 11, 2011
325 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Parked at my place of employment where there are daily hit and runs. Get over it. It's a FACT of owning and DRIVING a car. Inconvience, yes, something to lose your marbles over, no.
I didn't lose marbles. I lost 2 x 2,000 loonies. Or 2,000 toonies. Or, actually, I lost 1,000 marbles if a marble was worth two toonies.

Just the fact that there are daily hit and runs is a problem. How you came about accepting it as a natural course of life is a big mystery to me. It is NOT a FACT of owning a car. It is a FACT of disrespect and ignorance running rampant in our immediate society.

Part of our laws in general give us an assurance that despite all the risk that exist we can reasonably assume that our properties (cars, in fact, are properties, despite being a depreciating one at that) are safe in private and public places.

Just because your risk factor margin is way higher than the average does not mean the average should "get over it." If it was "okay" to "get over" things like this, why do we even have insurance and hit-and-run laws? Just "get over it."

Again, back to the point, how long should I hold out, according to your standard, before I can lose my marbles? Apparently my parking sensors being destroyed twice by hit-and-run drivers are not justifiable enough, so what would it be? Cracked housings? Doors bent in? Oh wait, replacing the side mirror definitely is cheaper than replacing an entire bumper, so if I came back to my car with a missing side mirror, that's a definitely "oh well, get over it" moment, and I should just drive off the lot, right?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
kppanic wrote: I didn't lose marbles. I lost 2 x 2,000 loonies. Or 2,000 toonies. Or, actually, I lost 1,000 marbles if a marble was worth two toonies.

Just the fact that there are daily hit and runs is a problem. How you came about accepting it as a natural course of life is a big mystery to me. It is NOT a FACT of owning a car. It is a FACT of disrespect and ignorance running rampant in our immediate society.

Part of our laws in general give us an assurance that despite all the risk that exist we can reasonably assume that our properties (cars, in fact, are properties, despite being a depreciating one at that) are safe in private and public places.

Just because your risk factor margin is way higher than the average does not mean the average should "get over it." If it was "okay" to "get over" things like this, why do we even have insurance and hit-and-run laws? Just "get over it."

Again, back to the point, how long should I hold out, according to your standard, before I can lose my marbles? Apparently my parking sensors being destroyed twice by hit-and-run drivers are not justifiable enough, so what would it be? Cracked housings? Doors bent in? Oh wait, replacing the side mirror definitely is cheaper than replacing an entire bumper, so if I came back to my car with a missing side mirror, that's a definitely "oh well, get over it" moment, and I should just drive off the lot, right?
I didn't say at all that I accepted hit and runs, you're assuming. Where I work, it's a daily occurance and the parking lots have VIDEO, but guess what, it doesn't help. I've had quite a few bing and dangs, so don't put words in my mouth friend. Moreover, it's just a part of being a car owner and living in Toronto. Insurance is requirement to drive. Laws are to protect people and property, however... How many hit and runs do you think are actually reported and what is that success rate? Report it, claim it, insurace goes up because you're Porsche needs a mirror and that mirror is a $1000 but you can't afford it being a Porsche, so claim it, up up. Need insurance to drive. Driving is a privilege, not a right. You are taking a chance driving, end of story.

So yes, get over it. Move to a town where people are kinder, perhaps better drivers or where there is no abundance of cars. You are just ignoring the facts of living in the city with a car. Buy a beater and keep your classic out of harms way. Ranting and losing ones mind over someone parking near a car in a lot all the while trying to intimidate them by a stare down vs driving daily with idiots around with zero skill. I'd take a parking lot risk any day. All comes down to location, location, location.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
OP, all this stress for nothing... lol. Just get in your car and move it. I highly doubt the women would've followed your car around. They would've probably found another car to practice next to.

I always move my car when I see a driving school Corolla practicing next to it. They get the message and leave.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Everyone has to learn to drive somewhere - an empty parking lot doesn't cut it except for the very first few lessons!
We used to live near a high school, on a very popular and long drive, so we got people all the time coming to do parallel parking in front of our house - both in driving instructor cars, or not.
Sep 18, 2012
405 posts
365 upvotes
BRAMPTON
shoppingguru002 wrote: If the world was full of honest people I'd say yes go for it is public property. HOWEVER, its not! You don't know how many times I hvve seen people hit someone's parked car and then run off.
This happenned to my wife's car. We left it in the Go Station parking lot. When we came back, the entire bumper had been smashed up. It cost $1500 to fix....payed out of pocket.

The lack of driving skill in Ontario is becoming an epidemic.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2539 posts
960 upvotes
Halifax
I'm sure that 95% of these "bumps" in parking lots are not due to new drivers who are practicing, but by regular drivers on the road. If you are really concerned with your car being dinged you'd have to park it as far away from other cars as possible.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2539 posts
960 upvotes
Halifax
kppanic wrote: Again, you're still swaying to one side.

I copy pasted my last reply:

Who has more right in this case? No one.
Except you are wrong. One does have more of a right. Let me copy & paste my last reply to you:
Except in the real world they actually do have a right to be driving their car and you have zero rights to tell them not to. Like I said, I'd laugh if someone tried to tell me not to do that...
We can assume that the person in the car has applied for and obtained some sort of driver's licence, granting them the right to drive a vehicle on public roads and private property where allowed. A random person has no right to tell them they can't be driving or parking in any given location, unless they own or are in charge of the private property that said driver is on. So yes, one does have more of a right than the other in this case.

It is the same as somebody standing on the street, you or anyone else has no right to tell them to move, unless they are on your private property.
May 11, 2011
325 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: I didn't say at all that I accepted hit and runs, you're assuming.
You did say you'd rather get mad at yourself for owning a vehicle.
koffey wrote: Where I work, it's a daily occurance and the parking lots have VIDEO, but guess what, it doesn't help. I've had quite a few bing and dangs, so don't put words in my mouth friend. Moreover, it's just a part of being a car owner and living in Toronto. Insurance is requirement to drive. Laws are to protect people and property, however... How many hit and runs do you think are actually reported and what is that success rate?
I do not have the stats for this. However, I do know that you're the ONLY person that I have ever known or heard of either directly and indirectly that he (or she) would rather get mad at oneself for owning a vehicle if someone damaged your vehicle.

That's kind of like saying hey that biker that got run over a bus and got instantly killed has only oneself to blame for owning and riding a bike in Toronto. Does not work.
Report it, claim it, insurace goes up because you're Porsche needs a mirror and that mirror is a $1000 but you can't afford it being a Porsche, so claim it, up up. Need insurance to drive. Driving is a privilege, not a right. You are taking a chance driving, end of story.
I do report it, and I do claim it. That is what insurance is for. Whether the insurance will increase or not is another story. You still have not answered my question though. Where is the threshold for "letting it go" and actually be able to blame the other person for that person's mistake?
So yes, get over it. Move to a town where people are kinder, perhaps better drivers or where there is no abundance of cars. You are just ignoring the facts of living in the city with a car. Buy a beater and keep your classic out of harms way. Ranting and losing ones mind over someone parking near a car in a lot all the while trying to intimidate them by a stare down vs driving daily with idiots around with zero skill. I'd take a parking lot risk any day. All comes down to location, location, location.
There is a difference between "practicing driving" and blatantly disrespecting others. You can practice driving all you want. BUT if your practicing start involving ME (i.e. financially or otherwise) then it DOES get personal. I don't give two *****s if you are using my car to practice or not. I do not stare anyone down, nor did I ever claim that I ever did. I just said in two separate times, people have hit my car, left the scene without any resolve, left me out to dry, which I do not appreciate. This is something I'm not willing to compromise whether I live in Toronto, Sudbury, some megacity or somewhere where there are more cows than people.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
kppanic wrote: You did say you'd rather get mad at yourself for owning a vehicle.

I do not have the stats for this. However, I do know that you're the ONLY person that I have ever known or heard of either directly and indirectly that he (or she) would rather get mad at oneself for owning a vehicle if someone damaged your vehicle.

That's kind of like saying hey that biker that got run over a bus and got instantly killed has only oneself to blame for owning and riding a bike in Toronto. Does not work.

I do report it, and I do claim it. That is what insurance is for. Whether the insurance will increase or not is another story. You still have not answered my question though. Where is the threshold for "letting it go" and actually be able to blame the other person for that person's mistake?

There is a difference between "practicing driving" and blatantly disrespecting others. You can practice driving all you want. BUT if your practicing start involving ME (i.e. financially or otherwise) then it DOES get personal. I don't give two *****s if you are using my car to practice or not. I do not stare anyone down, nor did I ever claim that I ever did. I just said in two separate times, people have hit my car, left the scene without any resolve, left me out to dry, which I do not appreciate. This is something I'm not willing to compromise whether I live in Toronto, Sudbury, some megacity or somewhere where there are more cows than people.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I'm not saying that I'm getting mad because I own a vehicle, I'm saying that there is little to nothing that can be done about it. And yes, I think you're a fool if you think that I cannot drive my car and park next to yours in a public space. Since when did parking next to another car become a right?

Letting is go is much easier than trying to point the finger at someone else if you have nothing to prove. I'm not going to call my insurance and claim something that I can fix on my own dime, which will be a lot cheaper than a claim over the long run. Not sure how you sit around pissing and moaning about someone and what they did. Yeah, it sucks, but it could be worse amirite? You must have a lot of grey (assumption) or stressed out. What about a rock off a highway? You chase down villians for their insurance because of a chip?

So, you have been hit and you have no resolve, but what can and what do you plan to do about it? Back to the point at hand; If I was in a parking lot and you came out and stared at me, trying to chicken me into moving, good luck. You just better off moving your car, or put something around it because the moment you leave, maybe I'll try my luck again. Then back to the next point at hand, you're not entitled to do anything other than move your car because I have every right to drive in that parking lot, regardless of what I'm doing around your property.

Welcome to the new Russia. <--- Trumps everything.
May 11, 2011
325 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
kramerz80 wrote: Except you are wrong. One does have more of a right. Let me copy & paste my last reply to you:

We can assume that the person in the car has applied for and obtained some sort of driver's licence, granting them the right to drive a vehicle on public roads and private property where allowed. A random person has no right to tell them they can't be driving or parking in any given location, unless they own or are in charge of the private property that said driver is on. So yes, one does have more of a right than the other in this case.

It is the same as somebody standing on the street, you or anyone else has no right to tell them to move, unless they are on your private property.
You are absolutely right.

However when you came upon your car and you see me using your car to practice my own driving, you have all the right to demand that I move out of the way, and use someone else's car instead.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2643 posts
733 upvotes
Ottawa
When I park far away I usually park like a d bag; angled or take up 2 spots.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
kppanic wrote: You are absolutely right.

However when you came upon your car and you see me using your car to practice my own driving, you have all the right to demand that I move out of the way, and use someone else's car instead.
lol, sure thing. Good luck with that approach.
May 11, 2011
325 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: lol, sure thing. Good luck with that approach.
Would you wait for the other person to finish practicing? Sounds like you're insinuating that the other person has more right than you do. So, by your own insinuation, you'd have to wait for the other person to finish practicing. It is the other person's right, after all right?

And when he or she knocks off your sideview mirror, I know exactly what you are going to do. You'll shrug and say to yourself "this is what I get for owning a vehicle in Toronto" and just go about.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
kppanic wrote: Would you wait for the other person to finish practicing? Sounds like you're insinuating that the other person has more right than you do. So, by your own insinuation, you'd have to wait for the other person to finish practicing. It is the other person's right, after all right?

And when he or she knocks off your sideview mirror, I know exactly what you are going to do. You'll shrug and say to yourself "this is what I get for owning a vehicle in Toronto" and just go about.
Wild imagination you have there.

What 'rights' do you have to demand someone to move their auto if you are not in the car or entrance to the auto is block and or the other person is doing nothing but parking next to you? You can't do ***** about it with the exception of moving your own car, which clearly you indicated you won't because it's your right. It would be my right to laugh at your face and give you finger, and to continue to do what I want to do.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1154 posts
388 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
kramerz80 wrote: I'm sure that 95% of these "bumps" in parking lots are not due to new drivers who are practicing, but by regular drivers on the road. If you are really concerned with your car being dinged you'd have to park it as far away from other cars as possible.
We park on the opposite end of the entire store / plaza and still some social reject thinks it's fun to park right beside your car up it's ***** .

Take up two parking spots, problem solved.
Something with more than two legs, but less than three.
Jan 18, 2011
378 posts
52 upvotes
Everyone starts somewhere right. I know I learned how to park by repetition in a mall parking lot.

I think this is small fries
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1154 posts
388 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
pfree87 wrote: Everyone starts somewhere right. I know I learned how to park by repetition in a mall parking lot.

I think this is small fries
Learns to park by driving through peoples vehicles, leaves no car unscathed!
Something with more than two legs, but less than three.
Jan 18, 2011
378 posts
52 upvotes
Did the OPs car get scratched? Doesn't seem like it.

There are bigger things to worry about in life than something that didn't even happen
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Instructor should be using cones. Parking far away only keeps away mall shoppers but provides the perfect opportunity for someone to practice f@cking up a real car without others getting in the way.

I took lessons last year and three years before that and three years before that. We used cones. To detect if you were missing a line at speed, we used squeaky pet toys which could be heard if you ran over them. No cars involved.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)