Students

Lakehead U Bridge Engineering from a Tech Diploma

[OP]
Mar 1, 2008
138 posts
Fort McMurray

Lakehead U Bridge Engineering from a Tech Diploma

Right now I'm looking into going to Lakehead for their bridge program into chemical or electrical engineering, but I just wanted to know if anyone knows of other schools that have a technology bridge program other than Lakehead.

Currently I have a Technology diploma from NAIT in Alberta and I'm looking to go into engineering. The only other school that offers anything similar is Camosun College in Victoria and it bridges into computer or electrical engineering at UVic or UBC. If anyone knows of other places ANYWHERE not just including Canada, it would really help. Also, if anyone here has experience in going from a technology diploma to an engineering degree, some experience would definitely help, wether it be about transferring, grants, or anything really.

Thanks!
-Meow!
9 replies
Nov 12, 2005
7 posts
I'm going to bump this because I have the same question. I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who did the program at Lakehead or anyone who did engr at Lakehead.
Nov 2, 2009
1 posts
Vancouver
I finished the Lakehead Software Engineering program a few years ago (more than 5 years ago). In my opinion it is a great program that will allow you to finish an engineering degree in 2 1/2 years. The course load is very high, 7 or 8 courses per semester, as well as 2 months of engineering boot camp upon acceptance.

All of my previous classmates and I have great jobs in our chosen engineering fields. I was recruited for an IT Leadership Development Program with a multinational organization straight out of school. Overall I though the program served its purpose and allowed me to finish my bachelors degree in a compressed timeframe.
Mar 6, 2015
214 posts
4 upvotes
I have similar question.

Between a 2 year and 3 year college plus 2 more years at Lakehead
or 4 years at lakehead to get both the diploma and the degree
or go to another university for 4 to 5 years for the degree

Which one of the three options is better?
Nov 26, 2014
48 posts
16 upvotes
Strathmore, AB
cybercavalier wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:58 pm
I have similar question.

Between a 2 year and 3 year college plus 2 more years at Lakehead
or 4 years at lakehead to get both the diploma and the degree
or go to another university for 4 to 5 years for the degree

Which one of the three options is better?
If you can get into an engineering degree program go that route. Going to Lakehead after finishing a tech diploma requires a two month bridge in the summer. Plus your course load for those two years is really heavy. I think you take 6 per semester and have labs on weekends.
Mar 6, 2015
214 posts
4 upvotes
Aaaaaron wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 7:29 pm
So question1) even if someone graduated from a 2 or 3 year college program, it still is better to start over with transfer credits to a university program. However, some universities' engineering programs WILL NOT take students who had low gpa at previous university experience... let alone transfer credits.

2) if so for an engineering student prospect, is what a 2 or 3 year college program useful for? Nothing?
Nov 26, 2014
48 posts
16 upvotes
Strathmore, AB
cybercavalier wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 7:57 am
So question1) even if someone graduated from a 2 or 3 year college program, it still is better to start over with transfer credits to a university program. However, some universities' engineering programs WILL NOT take students who had low gpa at previous university experience... let alone transfer credits.

2) if so for an engineering student prospect, is what a 2 or 3 year college program useful for? Nothing?
I don't think you are better off to start over if you have completed a 2 or 3 year diploma. I would transfer to one of the universities that has an agreement with the one you graduated from. You would be lucky to get one year of university credit for your 2/3 year diploma at a school with no agreement. Plus like you said, your grades have to be good.

The tech diploma can be a okay alternative if you don't have the entrance requirements for a university engineering or college bridge program. It's also a good program to get into engineering and construction management. Maybe more so in Alberta, but the techs are an intergal part of a team. I know graduates of tech programs who have gone on to very successful careers.
Mar 6, 2015
214 posts
4 upvotes
So at college diploma, advanced diploma (in Ontario) or undergrad, is performance the most important, reflected in grades and gpa?

For reciprocity of information, Lakehead offers technologist diploma and bachelor of engineering in four years.

The Lakehead's link of the college transfer for engineering.
kuhai2001 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2012 11:49 pm
Should you go to college for certificate, just avoid the coiny private institutes with low reputation.
Last edited by cybercavalier on Aug 11th, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 26, 2014
48 posts
16 upvotes
Strathmore, AB
cybercavalier wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:47 am
So at college diploma, advanced diploma (in Ontario) or undergrad, is performance the most important, reflected in grades and gpa?

For reciprocity of information, Lakehead offers technologist diploma and bachelor of engineering in four years.

The Lakehead's link of the college transfer for engineering.
Yeah grades are the most important as far as I know. You can work for a couple years and the required GPA drops to 2.6 I think.

I graduated from a civil tech program this April and a few of my classmates got into Lakehead and UBC. It doesn't seem like it's competitive past their GPA requirement.