• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 9:47 am
Sep 24, 2006
988 posts
201 upvotes
Collingwood

laminate floors question

i guess i will post pictures when i get home but question:

I bought a house with laminate - I think it is poor quality laminate or the quality of the install is bad, there is blue foam underlayment underneath the floor and it is tongue and groove laminate flooring. I have 5 extra boxes (each box has 10 or so planks) of it sitting in half attic storage.

Anyways house was 2011 build so 2017 (6 years) the edges of the most trafficked areas in kitchen and bedroom are chipping at the edges where the laminate boards meet. The floor creaks when you step on it in alot of places.

The kitchen island and as far as i can tell the kitchen cabinets sit ontop of this floor, fridge/dishwasher/ range etc.

Question 1: Is it easy to just replace the boards in question they are not near walls but is there some easy way to replace just the chipped boards i'd imagine i have about 10-15 of them. Get another 5-7 years out of the floor - It's fine for the most part in the trafficked areas. cut out the bad boards and glue in new one? or somehow pry the floor apart to drop a good one in? probably impossible. I don't mind the creaking so much as I do the visual chips at the edges.

Question 2: alternatively, in a couple years i'd imagine i'd get some commercial grade luxury vinyl plank flooring as this floor does see quite bit of moisture from swimming outside ( i'm next to georgian bay) /hot tub - I usually have towels ready for it but still.) - will it be easy to DIY given the whole flippin kitchen sits on the laminate, would i have to cut around the kitchen/island and then install a 1/4 toe?

Thanks in advance.