• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 9:45 am
[OP]
Nov 12, 2018
6 posts

Laminate Install

Hi Guys I am a new homeowner and need some advice.
I need to get laminate flooring installed in bedrooms ,i have the stuff but should I go the usual contractor from the same store i bought laminates from route or pay a handyman to do the Job.
1. Shop contractor is charging 2.40$ per sqft and is coming around 1100$ inc carpet removal and disposal.
2.Handyman is charging 25$ and hour, quoting around 250$ to do the job.

Is is worth saving money vs quality of workmanship? As handyman is way cheaper
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1533 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure where you're finding a 'handyman' for $25 an hour, but if they're that cheap and available, chances are they have no idea what they're doing.

For the most part laminate is simple. BUT you need some skills and proper tools to do it right when you start getting into doorways (undercutting jambs etc.) and transitioning to stairs, different flooring materials etc.

Baseboards may need to come off, you'll likely need quarter-round, you need to leave expansion gaps...

Your handyman is not going to remove carpet, tack strips etc, clean the floor, install underlayment, install flooring, undercut door jambs etc, etc. in 10 hours for 450+ sq ft. He's going to get you roped into the work at $25 an hour and will be there a week, or until he gets a better gig closer to home.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3123 posts
359 upvotes
Hamilton
While everything Tim said is accurate, it does seem overwhelming when written like that. I put down Costco laminate last year and it was my first time doing any flooring.

I just googled the hell out of it. Removed old baseboards carefully and was able to reuse without any quarter round. Went around a closet opening without issue and transitioned to a tiled floor.

If you can measure and use a mitre saw you would be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5648 posts
1338 upvotes
Whitby
There are good installers charging $1-$1.50 a sq ft for laminate, that includes underlay install. At that price area must be clean and ready to go. So in your case at 450 sq ft your realistically looking at $200 for carpet removal/disposal including carpet tack strips and baseboard removal. Expect to pay $1 a linear foot to have the baseboard re-installed, you will be left with caulk/touchup of miters. I know about 5 guys who would be around $750 all in for the job done properly, none who would work by the hour.
[OP]
Nov 12, 2018
6 posts
Thanks Guys, appreciate a lot for your advice and suggestions.