Home & Garden

Landlord just told me she won't rent to me because I'm not female... WTF!

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 3:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8971 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto

Landlord just told me she won't rent to me because I'm not female... WTF!

Saw an apartment today as I've been looking around. Everything looked pretty good, went with a credit rating / score and she was really surprised at how high it was and then says oh sorry we only rent to women.

Isn't it illegal for landlords to rent based on gender? I was almost certain it/was. Needless to say I'm pretty pissed I wasted all that time just for her to say that.

This isn't the first time I've seen in an ad (it wasn't in this ad specifically) where the landlord puts "women only", etc, etc. One I saw demanded a security deposit of $5000 at to which I laughed and walked away from that one.


So, if someone came to you to rent your basement apartment with a credit score of 840+ as a single renter like I am would you likely turn that person away and say "Oh, we prefer women renters even if they have a much lower score".

It makes no sense to me at all.
44 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8971 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
enwhyRFD wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 6:22 pm
Doesn't look like it?
http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/part-i-%E2%80% ... /housing-4
From what I read, if the woman was the only one upstairs then yes she can say women only, but it was her and her husband, so I don't believe she could. The line I got this from was The right to be free from discrimination based on sex does not apply to residences that are male-only or female-only. An owner of a residence can restrict access to that residence to men only or women only. Trans people should be provided access to these residences in accordance with their lived gender identity."

So it is not male-only or female-only.

Regardless, I wouldn't have wanted a landlord like that anyways in all honesty, I just find it funny how she'll turn down someone who has a very high credit rating, had an employment letter that states I make x amount per hour and have been there for 12+ years etc all because I'm male. I work 8-12 hour days, and when I do full weeks of 12 hour days I'm hardly ever heard from or seen from.

To me it just makes no sense, if I was a landlord myself and someone came to me with an extremely high credit rating and an employment letter saying 12+ years of being employed with no issues, I would take them instantly over someone w/ less. I would come to the assumption that they are likely mature and have a head on their shoulders, I guess that isn't always the case though.
Last edited by XtremeModder on Jul 13th, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jr. Member
Jul 31, 2017
122 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
If I were a single woman, especially with kids, i'd absolutely rent to women only. And in my experience as a landlord, a high credit score means you're good at financial management, it has no correlation to how much of a douche the renter can be. I'd take a lower score and a pleasant demeanor over a perfect score and a crappy attitude. Which is in no way aimed at you btw
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8971 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
BoatyMcBoatface wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 6:31 pm
If I were a single woman, especially with kids, i'd absolutely rent to women only. And in my experience as a landlord, a high credit score means you're good at financial management, it has no correlation to how much of a douche the renter can be. I'd take a lower score and a pleasant demeanor over a perfect score and a crappy attitude. Which is in no way aimed at you btw
I guess I see your point now that you put it that way.

I'll never forget one place I looked at 2 years ago. I had my own internet connection and the landlord said absolutely not... the reason was because in these words "You have to use my internet so I can monitor and know what is going on in my home at all times, I will not allow people to view pornographic material of any kind in this house". Needless to say I ran as fast as I could from that one.

Very very strange haha.

But yes I do see your point in some respects in terms of if it was a single woman with kids. I don't know, it just really pissed me off that she let me go and see it and everything, asked me to bring this and that and at the end of it says "Oh I only rent to women", which the ad has now been updated to state.

On the flip side, a high credit score would likely say "You won't have a problem when it comes time to paying rent" vs someone who has a 500 or something like that. Case in point, I knew someone who got an apartment, had a garbage credit rating then never payed the landlord at all and ended up getting evicted after a long time of not paying rent.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4845 posts
1598 upvotes
Paris
XtremeModder wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 6:38 pm
I'll never forget one place I looked at 2 years ago. I had my own internet connection and the landlord said absolutely not... the reason was because in these words "You have to use my internet so I can monitor and know what is going on in my home at all times, I will not allow people to view pornographic material of any kind in this house". Needless to say I ran as fast as I could from that one.
Lemme guess... his kids are working the pole at the beef baron.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8971 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 6:45 pm
Lemme guess... his kids are working the pole at the beef baron.
who knows, he was afraid of people viewing illegal porn or downloading illegal movies (piracy).

the first is not that likely (At least I hope), the second, piracy, is going to happen regardless.
Newbie
Jun 27, 2018
33 posts
1 upvote
For discrimination: long, long time ago when we didn't have own home we could not rent most of the nice places because we had a child. It did encourage us strongly to purchase a home.

And in principle: it is easy to be scared on dealing with a male tenant if you are a women, especially one who would live in the same dwelling.
I think you undervalue how that can be scary for the other side. She does not know you personally, its not an evaluation of you, but in general.
XtremeModder wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 6:01 pm
Saw an apartment today as I've been looking around. Everything looked pretty good, went with a credit rating / score and she was really surprised at how high it was and then says oh sorry we only rent to women.

Isn't it illegal for landlords to rent based on gender? I was almost certain it/was. Needless to say I'm pretty pissed I wasted all that time just for her to say that.

This isn't the first time I've seen in an ad (it wasn't in this ad specifically) where the landlord puts "women only", etc, etc. One I saw demanded a security deposit of $5000 at to which I laughed and walked away from that one.


So, if someone came to you to rent your basement apartment with a credit score of 840+ as a single renter like I am would you likely turn that person away and say "Oh, we prefer women renters even if they have a much lower score".

It makes no sense to me at all.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8971 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
wind13 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:01 pm
For discrimination: long, long time ago when we didn't have own home we could not rent most of the nice places because we had a child. It did encourage us strongly to purchase a home.

And in principle: it is easy to be scared on dealing with a male tenant if you are a women, especially one who would live in the same dwelling.
I think you undervalue how that can be scary for the other side. She does not know you personally, its not an evaluation of you, but in general.
Correct, I do undervalue it.

Last place I lived in (which I'm now really regretting that I moved out of) had a 50 year old man and his 2 daughters (same age as me) and we all got along great. The odd time they would come down and we would barbecue and drink and all that.

I just think it's ridiculous that a random husband and wife will refuse to rent to someone male. It's funny because I'm the type who keeps to themselves, is generally quiet and pays on time every time. I guess since they don't know me they wouldn't know that. Their loss. I hope she gets a woman in their who ends up being a scammer and doesn't pay them.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
5255 posts
1884 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
XtremeModder wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 7:09 pm

the first is not that likely (At least I hope), the second, piracy, is going to happen regardless.
You should check out the Computer/Electronics forum on RFD. People in Ontario are getting called to court over suspected piracy/movie downloading.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8971 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
dealseaker101 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:41 pm
You should check out the Computer/Electronics forum on RFD. People in Ontario are getting called to court over suspected piracy/movie downloading.
Because they're doing it wrong :facepalm:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
10066 posts
1445 upvotes
Toronto
Any shared residence usually has women only preferred.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8308 posts
1398 upvotes
Edmonton
Tell the landlord you identify as a woman when you're on the property. Easy
Newbie
Jun 27, 2018
33 posts
1 upvote
Oh well.
I sort of understand your pain. After all, 10 years ago in our city it was legal to not rent out to families with children, and we were discriminated too (it was something like "no pets, no kids" rule, and we could only rent in same places that would allow pets :), kids were literally equalized to pets)
However, when I read in news about stubbed to death landlords, its usually female landlords and male tenants, rarely male landlords and male tenants, and do not remember a single case with a female tenant.
And most of tenants would look nice on a photo, but if things go wrong for whatever reason (a temporary mental problem, or planned homicide), a female landlord would usually have less physical force to defend herself against a male.
Yes, bad tenants who ruin property, or don't pay rent can be both genders... This is very equal :)
XtremeModder wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:38 pm
Correct, I do undervalue it.

Last place I lived in (which I'm now really regretting that I moved out of) had a 50 year old man and his 2 daughters (same age as me) and we all got along great. The odd time they would come down and we would barbecue and drink and all that.

I just think it's ridiculous that a random husband and wife will refuse to rent to someone male. It's funny because I'm the type who keeps to themselves, is generally quiet and pays on time every time. I guess since they don't know me they wouldn't know that. Their loss. I hope she gets a woman in their who ends up being a scammer and doesn't pay them.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8971 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
wind13 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:58 pm
Oh well.
I sort of understand your pain. After all, 10 years ago in our city it was legal to not rent out to families with children, and we were discriminated too (it was something like "no pets, no kids" rule, and we could only rent in same places that would allow pets :), kids were literally equalized to pets)
However, when I read in news about stubbed to death landlords, its usually female landlords and male tenants, rarely male landlords and male tenants, and do not remember a single case with a female tenant.
And most of tenants would look nice on a photo, but if things go wrong for whatever reason (a temporary mental problem, or planned homicide), a female landlord would usually have less physical force to defend herself against a male.
Yes, bad tenants who ruin property, or don't pay rent can be both genders... This is very equal :)
True, I mean at the end of the day if she didn't want to seem like a * she could have heard my voice and said sorry it's already been taken.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)