• Dec 10th, 2015 8:45 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 4, 2014
20 posts
1 upvote

"Landmark Forum" awful experience.

Figure I would warn anyone thinking about trying the Landmark forum, here's my limited experience....

A year ago I had a conversation with an acquaintance who talked to me about the Landmark Forum. I put it off and put it off but eventually I was talked into a free "introduction". The introduction was well run and I thought about trying it out. 4 or 5 people who had experience kept pushing and pushing me into signing up. VERY AGGRESSIVE. I was still interested as I trusted the person who talked me into coming.

I didn't want to try register that night because it would require a commitment months in advance. I asked if I could just register online and the people at the event told me no (a lie). Then I was told that I could change locations (as I was unsure if I would be in Detroit or Toronto at the time) so I agreed to register. The next day, after a very busy day at work, I get home to check over 5 calls from a Detroit number. All were from some lady from the Landmark forum asking me to call her back as it was urgent for me to confirm my Detroit location. I thought I could switch and had time to choose, I guess not.

I call her back the next day, 4-5 times to no answer. She calls me a few times and I miss each call, you know, because I work.

I try again to get through the next day and do. I talk with a lady, whose name escapes me, telling me I HAVE to do the Detroit one and can't switch. When I tell her that's not what I was told, she goes off on some rant about how "I don't do things I don't want to do", not sure what the hell that means. Then she proceeds to tell me I was avoiding her calls, even though I tried 4-5 times to reach her one day. The lines she were using made two words pop into my head: "brainwashed" and "cult"

Instead of apologizing for the poor advice I was given she tells me I'm stuck with no flexibility at all, trying to make it seem like it was my fault for getting the bad advice. I still don't cancel, I want to give this forum thing a shot as everyone at the introduction seemed sure of it.

A few days pass and now I start getting calls to complete my registration, months before my forum date. At the introduction I was told I would have until a month before the event to do this, more bad advice. The calls keep coming. I look into the website and it says I can cancel my attendance and my money (except for a $35 cancellation fee) would be returned to me. I decide to just cancel, it had been a very obnoxious few weeks since registering.

After that was done, guess what, no refund. Shocker, goodbye $200.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12683 posts
1990 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Haven't been to their sessions, but have heard stories. I get the impression that they are scammy and prey on weak minds in order to squeeze cash out of you.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14801 posts
4416 upvotes
Here 'n There
I have a few friends who took the landmark forum and every single one of them has become extremely obnoxious. They all got in my face and confrontational about how I have to go to the forum in order to do this and do that in my life. They all pushed me to take the forum. I do quite well on my own without needing that bull crap. Other people I know whose friends took the forum have said the same thing. The forum is for weak people with no direction in their life. Don't get sucked in.

I even have a couple of friends who spend about $20,000 a year going to Landmark forum 'vacation' courses. They are currently on one in Costa Rica as we speak.

It's a cult and worse than many religions. At least with religion you don't have to put something in the collection plate!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12683 posts
1990 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Oh wait, I vaguely remember attending an information session a long time ago. The recruiter got snarky when we were leaving, saying, "You have blindspots." I guess that is his response to skeptics of the program, ha!