• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2013 12:08 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 28, 2006
67 posts
1 upvote

Landmart Homes

Is anyone familiar with Landmart Homes and if so what reputation does this builder have for quality and customer service?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Or try using Tarion instead.. Look at the number of homes they have closed and the number of unresolved deficiencies over that period.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Aug 2, 2008
179 posts
1 upvote
claringtonca
TARION is your best bet or find out where they have built before knock on a door and ask i do this randomly to see what people think about our house's
you get an honest answer everytime
Dec 7, 2002
218 posts
I own a Landmart home, and to be honest I would never buy again.

I have had a few problems go unresolved as have many who live in my street/area

-NT
Oct 27, 2008
657 posts
6 upvotes
thebuilder wrote: ask and they shall appear
Hi, can you tell us about the homes that you're building? location, incentives...do you have a website?
Jun 5, 2009
1 posts
macbcomm wrote: Is anyone familiar with Landmart Homes and if so what reputation does this builder have for quality and customer service?
I would never recommend Landmart to anyone!!! Their sales staff are dishonest and the service is awful!!!! :mad:
Jun 21, 2009
2 posts
I have purchased 3 different Landmart Homes over the past 10 years and I have to say I have been pleased with all of them. I am not saying that Landmart Homes is the best builder out there (I am still searching for one..hahaha) but they do build a nice looking home. I encounter the same problems with Landmart Homes as I did with the others I dealt with as well.
Mar 21, 2010
1 posts
I purchased from them twice. The first time it was a good experience the second time it was TERRIBLE. I have referred many to them in the past and NEVER will again. I am not sure if they have changed ownership or what the problem is but do not be FOOLED with the hype.
Apr 20, 2011
1 posts
BURLINGTON
I am considering purchasing a new home from Landmart in the Meadowlands. Really like the floorplans, have heard and read positive feedback as well as negative. I have done research on the internet to find out what they are like to deal with pre-sale, during construction and post sale. My research on the internet have left me warm and cold. As I expected I think (typically) people will provide feedback on forums, etc when they really love something or really hate something and i have read some of both....some of which is quite dated. I know the history of father and sons, etc and the ups and downs that occurred in that time.

Over the past weeks I have visited the community and talked to folks on the street in houses built in the last 12-18 mths to get an accurate (or at least more timely) picture. Of 11 different homeowners who were kind enough to speak with me about their Landmart experience I had one that was negative (but not 'run as fast as you can' negative), seven that were generally positive but all provided areas of the experience they did not like and advised me to watch and three that were extremely positive, no material complaints and would highly recommend.

I am guessing that with ALL builders there are bumps in the process that are (lets say) less than ideal or perfect and I expect that. Based on my research and discussions I am feeling more comfortable moving ahead with my Landmart purchase.

Question....Does anyone have current feedback they would like to provide that substantiates or refutes my research AND/OR can anyone suggest another avenue of due diligence that I have not considered to further understand and evaluate this decision??

Help is MUCH appreciated.
Oct 17, 2011
1 posts
3 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Pandmar wrote: I am considering purchasing a new home from Landmart in the Meadowlands. Really like the floorplans, have heard and read positive feedback as well as negative. I have done research on the internet to find out what they are like to deal with pre-sale, during construction and post sale. My research on the internet have left me warm and cold. As I expected I think (typically) people will provide feedback on forums, etc when they really love something or really hate something and i have read some of both....some of which is quite dated. I know the history of father and sons, etc and the ups and downs that occurred in that time.

Over the past weeks I have visited the community and talked to folks on the street in houses built in the last 12-18 mths to get an accurate (or at least more timely) picture. Of 11 different homeowners who were kind enough to speak with me about their Landmart experience I had one that was negative (but not 'run as fast as you can' negative), seven that were generally positive but all provided areas of the experience they did not like and advised me to watch and three that were extremely positive, no material complaints and would highly recommend.

I am guessing that with ALL builders there are bumps in the process that are (lets say) less than ideal or perfect and I expect that. Based on my research and discussions I am feeling more comfortable moving ahead with my Landmart purchase.

Question....Does anyone have current feedback they would like to provide that substantiates or refutes my research AND/OR can anyone suggest another avenue of due diligence that I have not considered to further understand and evaluate this decision??

Help is MUCH appreciated.
Perhaps you should drive to their site in Grimsby and talk to the people that have bought in down here. I am yet to hear of even one person with anything positive to say after Landmart took their ca$h including me!

As of this date, apparently no one other than myself has a completed kitchen / bathroom. While the bulk of the cabinetry may be in place, all are missing doors and or other parts and pieces. I have been told that Landmart now owns Hampton Kitchens. Hampton kitchens appears to be in the midst of a total "breakdown" with issues from lack of skilled employees to the lack of ability to apply a quality finish to their product. The problem was so bad at one point earlier this summer they were unable to provide kitchens for absolutely no one. Those issues are still on going some 5 months later.

Some of my issues are as follows:

The absolute worse carpet and installation I have ever seen bar none.

The marble shower surround (door) has a joint near the top on both sides that appears to be done by a brick layer and his hammer. The first time I saw it I thought it had cracked because of the jagged edges.

The drywall ceiling below one of the bedrooms creaks and crackles as you walk across the floor in that room. It is incredibly loud and annoying and can be heard very clearly throughout the house. While I do expect some creaking, this house is worse than a 100 year old home.

Despite having a more than generous slope to the garage floor and a nice finish, water backs up into the garage about 3 feet every single time it rains thanks to the fact that the concrete finishers created a backwards slope to the floor directly below the garage door.

Once again, another issue with the concrete, this time on my front porch. Same deal... every time it rains I have a rather large puddle right in the middle even after 24 hours with the sun shining. Over and above that, there is mortar splashed all over the concrete in the porch area as well as on the front door threshold. They have made no effort to remove it.

My front eves trough was bashed in when a dump truck hit it during the back fill operation around the house. Still not fixed!

On move in day, we found our house was not cleaned at all. From dirty floors, stairs and windows to a basement that was so dirty you wouldn't want your kids down there. Better off sending them out to play in the dirt. To add insult to injury, Landmart left us with a pail full of cleaning supplies from the "Dollar Store" no less as a "gift"

Everywhere in the basement where wiring passes close to duct work they took pieces of ratty insulation and stuffed it between the wire and duct. Some of this stuff is hanging down 6 inches.

Should I keep going...? I am not very happy to say the least and anyone that wants to see picture proof by all means just ask. I would be more than happy to provide it.

P.s. better check the fine print of your schedule 1. No not the warm and fuzzy front page portion but rather the section well within. Why you ask? Well let me tell you. Come about two days before your closing when your lawyer calls you with the exact figures due on the day of, you may be in for an eye opening shock to say the least. For me it equated to about $4000.00 over and above the "final" figures given to me by Landmart after I went through the selection process.
This included outrages fees for gas hook up, electrical hook up, a paved driveway, a planted tree for $535.00, Landmart lawyer fees... yes I said Landmart lawyer fees. You will be paying not only a fee to your lawyer but to theirs as well! On and on...

I had planned on living here for the next 10 or so years but as it stands now, I will probably have a "4-sale" sign up as soon as the mud and mess subside.
Jan 23, 2012
1 posts
Stillub.....thanks for your post. It seems as though there is alot of negative publicity about these homes across the internet. They are starting a new project across from Puddicombe Farms and my wife and I were looking along with some friends of ours. Would you be able to send some of the pictures? My wife and I currently live in a Marz Home and are looking to make some money from the sale. Guess there quality doesn't compare with Marz. I will wait for response before sending email. Thanks.
Jan 28, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
We have a landmart home in grimsby and would never by another. We moved in without a kitchen or bathroom for 3 weeks on top of a list of shotty workmanship! Now a 2 month old house has such drafty, leaky windows (you can feel cold air coming in and see water squishing out of them when they close) and now have extensive amounts of mold growing around them. Stay away. drive down here and knock on anyones door.
Oct 14, 2005
530 posts
53 upvotes
jaimesinnett wrote: We have a landmart home in grimsby and would never by another. We moved in without a kitchen or bathroom for 3 weeks on top of a list of shotty workmanship! Now a 2 month old house has such drafty, leaky windows (you can feel cold air coming in and see water squishing out of them when they close) and now have extensive amounts of mold growing around them. Stay away. drive down here and knock on anyones door.
Wow, thanks for this. Are you in Cherrywood Estates in Grimsby? I was so close to buying a home there but after reading these reviews I have changed my mind. I really like their interior designs but wow, I read the service is brutal and tons of problems with them.
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1191 posts
112 upvotes
Stoney Creek
thanks...i will look elsewhere..like aldo desantis.
Jun 9, 2009
9 posts
Richmond Hill
I lived in the GTA and my boyfriend and I decided to move closer to his family in Ancaster. We were excited to build a home since we have bought 2 houses prior. The thought of customizing and picking out was exciting. The buying process was alright. There wasn't much options left so it took us a few days to decide which lot. One thing that I wasn't impressed was that the salesperson didn't tell us that there was going to be a drain basin in our backyard. Our lawyer found it in the agreement. The salesperson went on to say that it would be inbetween lots but it was clearly on the lot. We choose another lot. The decor centre was great and helpful. We closed our house in 6 months of the purchase date. We had our PDI and it was ok, Donna (closing service rep) went through it pretty quickly and kept on answering her phone when her children kept on calling. That was a bit disrupting. There were a few minor things that had to be fixed and it was fixed quickly the next day. But the major items took more than 5 months and until this date (6 months after closing) are still oustanding. We are on our 2nd granite countertop because the first one had a crack where the faucet was, they replaced it after 4 months but the 2nd countertop has a crack elsewhere! Prior to that, the faucet we picked at the decor centre was not functional when we moved into our house. The faucet knob would hit the back wall when we turned on the hot water. It took 4 months for them to pay for a faucet I picked, when they wanted me to for partial of it. I had to argue with the VP that they should pay for the entire price because it was their mistake. The california knock down ceiling was painted on, and you can see 3 white patches. They have not decided still what they wanted to do. The drain in the main washroom on the 2nd floor was not sealed properly, and now it is leaking into our office. The shower on the ensuite was not properly lined because the framing was not straight. THE FRAMING IN THE ENTIRE HOUSE IS NOT STRAIGHT! My staircase is also not straight. The centre window in the main bedroom is 1/2 inch higher than the two smaller windows beside it. There is a big buldge in our hardwood in the office because the house is settling on the beam. The list goes on. Those are a few.

The finish of the house is ok overall, but when you need to deal with the service manager (Jeff) it takes him a long time to make a decision on how to make repairs on major items. Smaller ones they are quick at. The TLC serviceman are great! They are helpful and they will take time to explain things to you and how to take care of a new home. They are probably the best part of the company.

When I call to get a service person to fix items, I end up talking to the answering machine 90% of the time and sometimes they don't return my phone calls.

Overall, I wouldn't buy another house from Landmart, and this is my third home in 6 years. If I could do it again, I wouldn't have bought from Landmart and wish I went with my gut feeling and took the negative reviews written here a bit more seriously. I also wouldn't recommend them as well. The only reason why I bougt a Landmart home was that my friend who is in the trades did mention that Landmart had horrible service about 5 years ago, but now is trying to fix that with the TLC service. Wish I didn't purchase a landmart home.

You can take this experience with a grain of salt, or you can take it has a caution. I just want to share my experience with future home buyers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)