• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 2:49 pm
[OP]
Jan 7, 2019
109 posts
64 upvotes

Landscaping Project Spring 2019

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a new house, corner unit, and there is a lot of grass... I know it comes with the location but the actual property was so nice I couldn't pass on it!

I want to complete some landscaping to hopefully reduce some grass area and to make the backyard look nice.

My question is: How far can i push the boundaries?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9085 posts
5562 upvotes
Edmonton
To the fence?

Your question is rather vague. Plus you give no location.

C
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6884 posts
2161 upvotes
Markham
BrokeMillennial wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:26 pm
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a new house, corner unit, and there is a lot of grass... I know it comes with the location but the actual property was so nice I couldn't pass on it!

I want to complete some landscaping to hopefully reduce some grass area and to make the backyard look nice.

My question is: How far can i push the boundaries?
You don't state location but part of that property is likely "boulevard" and actually owned by the city so you technically cannot landscape that. Check your local bylaws and be careful with "hardscapes" especially because if you're offside, city bylaw can have you remove it and you're going to be out $$. Soft stuff is safer as you haven't effected drainage.

https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebas ... idths.html
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Jan 7, 2019
109 posts
64 upvotes
Here are a few images to help

In the third image you can see the walk way that I am trying to expand.
Images
  • Side view.JPG
  • sideview 2.JPG
  • sideview 3.JPG
Dec 25, 2007
908 posts
381 upvotes
You can probably go down to the large tree, on the right side of the sidewalk, without issue.
Dec 8, 2009
297 posts
37 upvotes
I called city (Markham) about this. It’s ok to plant on their land. I convert most grass to ultra low maintenance evergreen ground cover. I cut down mowing time from 2 hours to half hour.