• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 11:24 pm
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
329 posts
78 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa

Laptop 15" numpad, non-chiclet, battery replaceable

I just can not get used to island style chiclet keyboards with space between the keys. It puts me back to typing with 3 fingers total, so an older style keyboard not negotiable.

Also non-negotiable due to line of work is having a built-in number pad (external USB numpads impinge on mousing surface and make it not ergonomic as your arm is stretched further) .

Would like an easily replaceable battery since I keep my laptops generally > 4 years (this one is nearing 8 yrs old and on my 3rd battery). I like the external ones so I can bump up from 6 to 9 cells (protrudes and raises the back of the laptop so you also benefit from increased airflow).

Need active fan for cooling.

Flexible on RAM - 8GB+ (or 4GB as long as it's easily upgradeable)
Flexible on disk - SSD or HDD > 200 GB
No requirement as far as ports; I assume all of them have at least 1x USB 3.0 and 1 other USB these days
Not picky for sound or graphics; don't need webcam

Bonus would be if it were a 14" (impossible with numpad?) or 15" thin bezel.

Is my only option going to be an expensive gaming unit for a decent keyboard these days? I saw Maingear Pulse but it's too pricey.
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz
2 replies
Jun 2, 2006
810 posts
255 upvotes
Mississauga
Have you tried Lenovo Thinkpad keyboards? People swear by them.

They are still "chiclet" style, and don't have a easily removable battery.

Even so, you might want to check out the: E580, L580 and T580. (All are "Lenovo Thinkpads)

From generally best to worst of these: (Although they are all quite capable)
T580>L580>E580
[OP]
Mar 28, 2012
329 posts
78 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
Yes, Thanks,
The Lenovo I saw are the only "mainstream" ones I saw so far that the keyboard looks pretty usable.
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz