None
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan

Laptop Battery Replacement

Hi all,

Where is a good place to get a cheap HP laptop battery replacement? Replacement number is 593553-001. The lappie still works somewhat well other than serious battery issues. Preferably under $30 and in local GTA would be great.

Thanks.
23 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
It's for HP model G62.
The site above is from China and doesn't seem to ship to Canada.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2043 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara area
Do a search on Battdepot.ca on RFD before ordering from them. They are not the greatest and as with most companies on line you will be stuck with return costs if the battery is a problem. With a receipt signature count on $20 plus.

I have sent lots of people to Loreso computers 570 Hood Rd,Unit 3A Markham 905-943-9090 with the suggestion they call and make sure they have the required battery then take your notebook to them and try the battery. Safest and quickest way if in the GTA to replace a battery.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/laptop-n ... s-1240846/
Aug 3, 2006
168 posts
46 upvotes
I purchased an 8cell battery from these guys http://www.intelligentbatteries.ca/ for my Thinkpad. Fortunately they are local and I was able to pick-up my battery. I wanted to purchase the 4 cell as well but the specs seem a little off from my original 4 cell. The 8 cell is running fine still after a year of regular use.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
d_source wrote: It's for HP model G62.
The site above is from China and doesn't seem to ship to Canada.
Hmm ... sorry about that ... My last order was back in Aug .... How come they don't ship to Canada all of a sudden ...
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
GTT1 wrote: Do a search on Battdepot.ca on RFD before ordering from them. They are not the greatest and as with most companies on line you will be stuck with return costs if the battery is a problem. With a receipt signature count on $20 plus.

I have sent lots of people to Loreso computers 570 Hood Rd,Unit 3A Markham 905-943-9090 with the suggestion they call and make sure they have the required battery then take your notebook to them and try the battery. Safest and quickest way if in the GTA to replace a battery.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/laptop-n ... s-1240846/
Ya i saw the thread about battdepot and their prices are extremely high anyways so i wouldn't order from them.
Off-hand do you know if Loreso has a pickup location in Toronto or Vaughan? Would rather not have to drive all the way 407/404 if I don't have to.
Anyone bought from Computer Parts Alliance? These guys are based out of Scarborough. I can get a battery here $10 cheaper than Loreso. Pretty much the same distance for me to travel anyways.

I checked all the websites I could find. Also, Kijiji has nothing. Ebay->the shipping kills most deals other than the 2 above (CPA and Loreso which hopefully have local pickup). The only other options seem to be from the Asian market. Would/has anyone purchased from a Honk Kong vendor like this one?

Thanks all.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
I use to order batteries from EBAY too. But was disappointed the last few times.

Two cellphone batteries could not hold full charge. (ie. only 4 hours standby time)

A battery for my GN Netcomm wireless headset was DOA.

In the case of the cellphone battery vendor, they guy said he would send me replacements and did not. I am now sourceing another battery for my GN Netcomm headset from Amazon.ca.

The important thing about LI-ion batteries is go get fresh batteries, due to limited shelf life. So it is good to purchase from a vendor you feel comfortable with. (Being able to walk-in and buy would be best.)

Asia vendor? Would only buy if I don't care about the risk. There is no RMA process due to the cost of returns. (I've done it for minor stuff like ear pad for my GN Netcomm headset, and cellphone touchscreen stylus.)
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Computer Parts Alliance is local and offers pickup at their Scarborough location, but they are only open M-F until 6:30. And i'd have to place the order online the business day before. Not very convenient for me. Is there no laptop battery place downtown, maybe near the other computer stores?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
d_source wrote: Computer Parts Alliance is local and offers pickup at their Scarborough location, but they are only open M-F until 6:30. And i'd have to place the order online the business day before. Not very convenient for me. Is there no laptop battery place downtown, maybe near the other computer stores?
Doesn't Canada Computers have replacement laptop batteries - they have place downtown.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Ya but they only have the one i want on special order and are double the price.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
I took a walk on lunch down to the computer stores on Spadina to check pricing. Wow, it seems like so many have gone bye-bye. Anyways, their prices are all extremely high and not worth it.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2043 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara area
d_source wrote: Ya i saw the thread about battdepot and their prices are extremely high anyways so i wouldn't order from them.
Off-hand do you know if Loreso has a pickup location in Toronto or Vaughan? Would rather not have to drive all the way 407/404 if I don't have to.
Anyone bought from Computer Parts Alliance? These guys are based out of Scarborough. I can get a battery here $10 cheaper than Loreso. Pretty much the same distance for me to travel anyways.

I checked all the websites I could find. Also, Kijiji has nothing. Ebay->the shipping kills most deals other than the 2 above (CPA and Loreso which hopefully have local pickup). The only other options seem to be from the Asian market. Would/has anyone purchased from a Honk Kong vendor like this one?

Thanks all.
Have you called Loreso or Computer Parts to see if they have your battery in stock? If so why worry about $10.00 just order from whoever has it and get it mailed. By the way Loreso takes 10% of on picked up orders.

The nice thing about dealing with Loreso or CPA is that if it doesn't work you can drive it back for a refund, out of the way yes but no shipping fee to get you money back and Loreso will refund or replace without hassle.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Loreso sells for $45. Too much for me to dish out on an old laptop. CPA sells for $35, which is reasonable. Shipping puts it out of reach though. $35 + $10 (shipping) + tax > $50. No thank you. My price range is b/w $30-40 and that's stretching it as i'm on a very tight budget and the battery actually isnt needed to run the machine.

What I dont get is how people can sell it for $20 on ebay. Where are they getting their parts from to sell this cheap? How is there such a big difference?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
^
eBay might be non-branded/third party

I have even heard of reports of "new" batteries being actually refurbished or they have high cycle counts

BUT I've bought China labeled and made batteries for my various laptops and overall no huge difference (except in my savings!)
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
speed wrote: I purchased an 8cell battery from these guys http://www.intelligentbatteries.ca/ for my Thinkpad. Fortunately they are local and I was able to pick-up my battery. I wanted to purchase the 4 cell as well but the specs seem a little off from my original 4 cell. The 8 cell is running fine still after a year of regular use.
Coincidentally I tried buying a battery from those people online just yesterday, without any success. They e-mailed me shortly AFTER putting thru the CC auth to say, oh sorry, we're completely sold out of that model, but we have another battery, model number XXXX which we can send you instead -- please confirm this is OK. I searched on their website as they suggested (they couldn't be bothered to e-mail me a live link) but could not find any reference to the alternate battery number. WTF???? Even if their intentions are legitimate, there is absolutely no excuse for a small seller like this to be listing and taking orders for products that are, in fact, no longer available.

The online reviews posted on them by other customers seem to include a disproportionately high number of problems and complaints. So, I'd suggest that anyone thinking of buying from Intelligent Batteries do so with a good measure of caution.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
As a follow-up to my mini-rant above, Intelligent Batteries has acknowledged my instruction to cancel the order altogether, but did not bother to release the pre-authorized amount on my credit card. Not a big deal given the amount involved, and given that I used a prepaid Mastercard (which I bought specifically to order from this vendor because I had reservations based on their online reputation.) Still, I think it sucks just on principle not to release ANY pre-auth when you cannot fulfill the order in the first place.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
d_source wrote: Loreso sells for $45. Too much for me to dish out on an old laptop. CPA sells for $35, which is reasonable. Shipping puts it out of reach though. $35 + $10 (shipping) + tax > $50. No thank you. My price range is b/w $30-40 and that's stretching it as i'm on a very tight budget and the battery actually isnt needed to run the machine.

What I dont get is how people can sell it for $20 on ebay. Where are they getting their parts from to sell this cheap? How is there such a big difference?
Many EBAY sellers run their business out of their basement/garage - limited return policy, selling old stock. A GTA store needs to pay rent, staff, electricity, phone, offer a warrantee.

Some of the Asian EBAYer could be the factory/relative trying to sell direct.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
^^^Thank you both for your posts. Will def not buy from Intelligent Batteries now and will consider a reputable China seller.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)