Computers & Electronics

Which to laptop choose? Lenovo OR Dell

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2012 8:11 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Which laptop?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Aug 26, 2012
6 posts

Which to laptop choose? Lenovo OR Dell

Dell Votro 3560
[IMG]http://puu.sh/Zxz0[/IMG]

Price: $643.76 (including tax)
Rebates: $20 Paypal + (569.70*0.04) eBates rebate
Final Price = $600.97

-----
OR
-----
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E430
[IMG]http://puu.sh/ZxNg[/IMG]

Price: $601.36 (including tax)
Rebates: (532.18*0.052) = $27.67
Final Price = $573.69

The difference between the two:
Dell has 6 GB RAM vs. 4 GB
Dell has 7200 RPM vs. 5400 RPM (same capacity)
Lenovo has 65 WHr battery vs. 48 WHr
Lenovo is very durable - second best quality next to Apple
Dell has a nicer design compared to Lenovo (not much of a deal though)

Lenovo is $27.28 cheaper.

I'll be using this laptop for school (a lot of programming) - first year. Not for gaming.

So now, which one is better since they are both essentially the same price?

Thanks,
18 replies
Aug 11, 2010
4 posts
Both are good, if you want longer battery, then Lenovo would be better since 7200 uses up more juice.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
I'd go with the Lenovo. It's a step up in quality
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Ugly? I don't think so...I have the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E420 and am quite happy with it. Like the US keyboard. Better than most other $500-$600 laptops at Future Shop or Staples IMO. You have listed both E430 and E530....one is 14 inches, the other is 15.6....big difference in portability and size IMO.

Dave
Aug 26, 2012
6 posts
DavidY wrote: Ugly? I don't think so...I have the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E420 and am quite happy with it. Like the US keyboard. Better than most other $500-$600 laptops at Future Shop or Staples IMO. You have listed both E430 and E530....one is 14 inches, the other is 15.6....big difference in portability and size IMO.

Dave
Well, compared to the two, I would say that Dell has a nicer design, it has ports on the back for easy access (VGA/power etc) and also chicklet keyboard. However, Lenovo will be much more durable. Honestly, I don't really care how it looks, as long as it functions as it was designed to and lasts for a long time, I am happy.

Yes you are right, I wasn't sure which size to go for. How much better is the battery life better with 14inch? Would the extra battery life compensate for the difficulty in programming with it? Some have suggested to get an external monitor, that seems like a good idea.

@george__
I heard Lenovo and Dell are very close in quality (although Dell's quality is declining).
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Why not go a step up to a T series then?
You'll be able to get a better resolution screen + even better build quality for about $100-$200 more (depending)
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
beauty is in the eye of the beholder

that being said.. i took a quick look around and couldn't find anything better at that price range. probably if i looked hard enough but both seem to be decent deals. so i would say go with battery life unless it is too ugly for you to really get behind.

i know atleast from Dell you can return if unhappy - doe the Lenovo have similar returns?
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
^
I don't understand why everyone thinks the Lenovo Thinkpad are ugly
Aug 26, 2012
6 posts
As I said in my previous post, I don't care about the design. As long as it works, I am happy with it. (I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it). I just meant to say that in comparison, Dell has a better design/look.

University is expensive :( - 11k tuition per year + residence etc. Trying to save every penny I can...
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
so far i think the op is the only one to state that it is ugly... i just stated basically that everyone has different tastes when it comes to looks.
george__ wrote: ^
I don't understand why everyone thinks the Lenovo Thinkpad are ugly
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Aug 26, 2012
6 posts
To satisfy everyone, I have re-edited the original post.

Looks like I will be going with Lenovo. Thanks for your help everyone.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1578 posts
816 upvotes
GTHA
Good choice.

Both my wife's employer and my employer provide business-class laptops for work. She currently has a Dell Latitude, I have a Lenovo W510 (this is my 4th Lenovo/IBM). I just bought my uni-bound daughter a T430. It was a no-brainer based on our experiences with the two brands as every Thinkpad I've had has been rock solid.

One nice feature with the Thinkpads (not sure of the E-series though) is the battery charging management. Many laptops will just keep charging the battery even when it's full, which is not good. With the Thinkpad you can set thresholds at which it starts/stops charging which can greatly enhance battery life.
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
475 posts
36 upvotes
I think Lenovo is better than Dell. I am preferring Lenovo e430 (15.5 inch). Because by it you will get bigger screen with long lasting battery and better quality.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Dwight10 wrote: I think Lenovo is better than Dell. I am preferring Lenovo e430 (15.5 inch). Because by it you will get bigger screen with long lasting battery and better quality.
E430 = 14 inch
E530 = 15.6 inch

Last year's model....E420 = 14 inch; E520 = 15.6 inch...second generation Intel.

Dave
Aug 26, 2012
6 posts
RETD wrote: Good choice.

Both my wife's employer and my employer provide business-class laptops for work. She currently has a Dell Latitude, I have a Lenovo W510 (this is my 4th Lenovo/IBM). I just bought my uni-bound daughter a T430. It was a no-brainer based on our experiences with the two brands as every Thinkpad I've had has been rock solid.

One nice feature with the Thinkpads (not sure of the E-series though) is the battery charging management. Many laptops will just keep charging the battery even when it's full, which is not good. With the Thinkpad you can set thresholds at which it starts/stops charging which can greatly enhance battery life.
That sounds like a great feature, I hope the E-series has that. My old HP laptop's battery doesn't last for a single second if it's not plugged in. I didn't know that you were supposed to take the battery out when it's done charging. I learned my lesson the hard way D:

I ordered the E530 - 15.6 inch. I was soooo close to ordering the E430 - 14 inch but decided not to in the last minute. I mean, I am getting a more powerful battery and also, the HD is 5400 RPM compared to the 7200 RPM... So hopefully the bigger screen won't be a problem. Also, it's only 0.6 lbs or about 270 grams heavier, that shouldn't be too much of a problem (I hope). Plus I get the number pad (which I rarely.... use). I just went for it because I can watch movies or something in a slightly 1.6 inch bigger screen.

E430 is nice and has no dead spaces, which might be nice in a way.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
sarv94 wrote: That sounds like a great feature, I hope the E-series has that. My old HP laptop's battery doesn't last for a single second if it's not plugged in. I didn't know that you were supposed to take the battery out when it's done charging. I learned my lesson the hard way D:

I ordered the E530 - 15.6 inch. I was soooo close to ordering the E430 - 14 inch but decided not to in the last minute. I mean, I am getting a more powerful battery and also, the HD is 5400 RPM compared to the 7200 RPM... So hopefully the bigger screen won't be a problem. Also, it's only 0.6 lbs or about 270 grams heavier, that shouldn't be too much of a problem (I hope). Plus I get the number pad (which I rarely.... use). I just went for it because I can watch movies or something in a slightly 1.6 inch bigger screen.

E430 is nice and has no dead spaces, which might be nice in a way.
There is a Lenovo Power Manager app that was included with my E420.

Dave
Jul 29, 2012
83 posts
9 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I'd like Lenovo as a PC since it has better quality, HP always has the lower price, DELL...hmm I don't know what is the best for it
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
You say Lenovo E430 yet post specs on E530, googling E430 draws a somewhat different picture. Older SB processor, smaller battery, smaller & slower HDD. I don't know if you've found a vendor with different internals or Lenovo's website just shows an older model?

As an aside, I usually bash Dell but I bought one for school/programming. I bought an XPS 14 and I am impressed. The machined metal exterior is sturdy and feels practically unbreakable, performance is comparable to it's class, battery life I can actually get 5 hrs + of heavy use. I probably overpaid a little bit but for the build quality and featureset I thought it worth it.

You're price point only puts you $200 behind the Inspiron 14z which yields a lot of those features.

On sale for $799.

3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3517U processor (4M cache, up to 3.0GHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-Bit, English
8GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
500GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD and 32GB mSATA SSD
8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
AMD Radeon HD7570M 1GB

I replaced the spinner with a second SSD but I was impressed by the speed of the 5400 + 32 Gb SSD cache drive. I didn't put a lot of faith into it but it surprised me.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2223 posts
628 upvotes
GTA
why not get the 1080p Vostro 3560 for $650 to $670 (~$610with rebates from GCR and paypal)?
its much better... dedicated graphics card + 108p + i5 + backlit ($20 extra) makes it a very well-rounded laptop IMO

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)