Computers & Electronics

Laptop issue - language of operating system issue.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2012 11:00 am
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough

Laptop issue - language of operating system issue.

Hi guys,

Our laptop keeps shutting down after powering up, windows starts but then shuts down. Does this indicate a corrupt operating system? Factory default discs were never created (users are not knowledgeable in computer specifics at all) so how can we recover the original windows. Only thing available is the original windows license key......

Secondly, laptop was bought in Portugal, and has windows in Portuguese......is it possible to convert it into English OS without spending more money ??

Please advise on what can be done to recover/save the laptop or at the least, bring it back to its factory default state without spending big.

Thanks in advance.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
How does it shut down?

It is a systematic shut down (it closes programs and logs off user) or does it just shut down with out any warning?

There should be a recovery partition on the hard drive that will bring it back to factory status, but I doubt you will be able to change the language.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
it shuts off without warning.....

The cooling fan and battery are not the issue as they are fine.

Would the partition be safe from corruption if its a virus issue?
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
It may be possible to change it to English if you look through the settings deep enough. While I have not worked with Windows in a while, I know Mac and Linux both usually come with a selection of languages you can choose from for your main language. I would think Windows would have several languages to choose from as well. But that may be a moot point as you clearly have a bigger problem if your laptop shuts down with no warning. You would want to at least reinstall the OS, but there is a chance it will not help as it may be some kind of hardware problem causing it. In that case you would either need to have it repaired or get a new machine.

Either way, I hope you back up anything important from that computer as it may go kaput sooner than you expect. The data on the hard disk may get corrupted, so better be safe than sorry.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10325 upvotes
Toronto
Is it Windows 7? If it is, you could download the iso from Microsoft's website and retry -install using the existing Win7 key.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6564 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
When it boots back up, does it indicate that the last time it wasn't shut down properly?

You could also press F8 during boot up to get into safe mode.
This space for rent

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)