• Nov 20th, 2018 12:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1700 posts
833 upvotes

Laptop Request

Anyone have any recommendations for laptop deals?

Specifically looking for something for an older family member who needs it to surf the web and do some light Word/Excel work.
Ideally 13-14" or so with no need for an optical drive.

Would something like this Asus laptop be a good choice? https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 00842.aspx?
2 replies
Dec 8, 2010
15 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
hey I'm not an expert but I'm also looking into something similar. the one that you posted looks decent but is low on storage. I found this on a flyer for the source (pic 1 - $299).

another that I was considering with higher specs was from Walmart (pic 2 - $398).

I'm really hoping others chime in because I'm not a seasoned contributor to RFD but I'm trying to learn.
Images
  • upload.png
  • upload.png
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1389 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
aviator_13 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 6:07 pm
Anyone have any recommendations for laptop deals?

Specifically looking for something for an older family member who needs it to surf the web and do some light Word/Excel work.
Ideally 13-14" or so with no need for an optical drive.

Would something like this Asus laptop be a good choice? https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 00842.aspx?
I don't like how the storage is only 64GB of memory. Windows probably takes up half of that. You would only be able to install apps from the Windows store. This laptop seems more like a tablet to me.

lifewithbunty wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 1:58 am
hey I'm not an expert but I'm also looking into something similar. the one that you posted looks decent but is low on storage. I found this on a flyer for the source (pic 1 - $299).

another that I was considering with higher specs was from Walmart (pic 2 - $398).

I'm really hoping others chime in because I'm not a seasoned contributor to RFD but I'm trying to learn.
Those laptops seem fine to me. I prefer Dell over Asus only because you can normally replace the bilingual keyboard with an English only keyboard (bought from eBay and shipped from China). I do believe that Dell and Asus computers are better than Acer. Of course, everybody has their preferences though.

With the cheap $400 laptops, they're fine for just surfing, watching YouTube, and using MS Office but it's a tad slow. If you can upgrade the harddrive to an SSD drive yourself (or get a friend/family member to do it) then the computer will just fly. You won't be able to compare to a more powerful machine but the boot up time and software loading times will drastically decrease. My dad's laptop boot up time changed from 1 min 45 secs to 5 secs. Software just loads almost instantly where it took a considerable amount of time before. FYI, 500 GB SSD drives are about $100 now. I prefer Western Digital myself. I buy them from Newegg.ca.

I even upgraded my uncle's old 10 year old desktop to an SSD drive. He's just ecstatic about his old computer now. He was actually complaining to me about his computer. That's when I told him about SSD drives.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"