• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 7:39 pm
[OP]
May 1, 2019
72 posts
72 upvotes

Laptop SSD upgrade help--Newbie alert

Hi there:

I currently have an HP Probook 470 G4, but find that the HDD gets bogged down and overwhelmed quickly, especially when Windows runs "mystery" processes in the background. I do have an empty M.2 slot. Would that be a viable option for upgrading things? How would be the best way to go about it--my budget is very limited? Is it possible to migrate the OS only to the M.2 SSD, and use the HDD for storage?
6 replies
Jul 4, 2019
1 posts
Yes, you can have the OS on the SSD and have the system boot from there. Then you can organize your files from using the SSD or HDD.
Jan 6, 2004
622 posts
85 upvotes
Vancouver
You can use a backup software to clone the OS to your new SSD then wipe the HDD to use as storage. You will see drastic improvement in boot up time and overall increase in reduced loading time.

Looking at HP support material, the M.2 needs to be the 2280 size, not sure about the key.
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05272274#AbT4

Good luck
[OP]
May 1, 2019
72 posts
72 upvotes
What if the drive is too small to clone all of the OS and what is currently being stored?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22259 posts
2539 upvotes
Montreal
Most quality cloning software like Acronis will allow you to shrink the partitions proportionately.

Note that the M.2 slot in the probooks will accommodate both SATA and nvme drives.

I have a g5 440 running two SSDs.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7266 posts
1006 upvotes
Toronto
OP, what do you mean by "HDD gets bogged down and overwhelmed quickly". That is a rare occurrence and is unlikely to happen in normal circumstances unless you have some strange applications running, or your configuration is off. Use Task Manager to determine the real cause of your problem. It will show you the root cause, i.e. CPU, hard drive, memory, etc. Your laptop is pretty powerful and shouldn't be having problems like this.

Having said all of the above, an SSD will make a huge difference and will cover over many other problems.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2590 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
briand1989 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 5:17 pm
... Is it possible to migrate the OS only ...
If you meant to clone only the OS to the new drive, No.
In a cloning process, it's all or nothing.
With that said,
You can get around that problem by transferring/backing up all your data, except the OS, to another medium (e.g. external hard drive), then clone.
Many cloning software only care about the space used by the drive while the free space can be different between the old and new drive.