Computers & Electronics

Laptop users: do you unplug your power cord and close your lid every night?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2011 10:12 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Oct 24, 2011
97 posts
4 upvotes

Laptop users: do you unplug your power cord and close your lid every night?

People think its wierd cause i do it every night amd they say is pointless. Not really, if anything come back in 3 or 4 years when your battery only holds half a charge from when it was new and mine still is at peak performance. batteries are not meant to be plugged in 24/7. Even though they trickle charge when full, youre still sending excess electricity to it for no reason.

As for closing the lid, i do it to keep dust out.

Very few laptop owners do this (especially unplugging the power cord) but i think it helps in the long rum.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3735 posts
2273 upvotes
Toronto
I unplug at the end of the day to save electricity but almost never close the lid because I'm too lazy :razz:
Jul 13, 2009
921 posts
57 upvotes
Work pays for my laptop, and I don't plan on letting it get more than a year or two old, so it stays plugged in.
Nov 29, 2011
10 posts
VANCOUVER
I never unplug when I go to bed... my laptop is really a desktop replacement (I'm at uni). Whenever it's being used as a desktop, I have the power settings set to "battery life", which keeps the battery at half charge and never more... don't know if this actually saves battery life, but whatever.

However, I also never close my lid (I always used to with my old laptops, but not this one). There's a reason behind it though, and it's that one of the hinges on this laptop made a really worrying sound the very first time I opened it. The Lenovo Y570's are also known for having loose hinges, so it's not just my device, and so I try to make sure the hinges are used as little as possible.
Mar 13, 2008
578 posts
27 upvotes
i use a dock so the lid is often closed at home, i use it on battery when im out and about and its plugged in at home, i think this laptop is about 2.5 years old now (lenovo x200) i still get a good 6 hours out of the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7548 posts
388 upvotes
Scarborough
I put the laptop to sleep, and leave it plugged in - it's often drained and needs to be charged anyway.
Some night, I don't sleep it, because it's used to download TV shows etc.
No, I do NOT have any Z10's or Z30's left for sale. Stop PM'ing me!
BST Reference: Heatware | RFD
Wins: 2010 - Asus G73Sw-AY1 / 2012 - $50 BB Card in "RFD OT Reboot" / 2013 - MobilSyrup.com Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 LTE from Bell
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Lithium Ions don't like to be fully discharged. They don't like to be fully charged either. Also, they need to be used, so leaving them plugged in all the time doesn't give them the usage they require. If you are storing the battery, it should be stored at half charge, and periodically recharged.

Lids have the wire ribbon running through them. I would want to minimize the amount of times the lid opens and closes. Eventually the wire ribbon breaks.
This space for rent
Jun 13, 2010
964 posts
48 upvotes
I always pull the power cord and closed the lid every night. You are not the only one.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
I do not shutdown, I close the lid and do not unplug.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5623 posts
56 upvotes
Calgary
gman wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2011 11:03 am
I do not shutdown, I close the lid and do not unplug.
...then wonder why your battery ran down ~10% while you slept? ;)

Standby uses a very small amount of power, shutting down will use zero.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2003
2594 posts
300 upvotes
Ottawa
I unplug the battery when it's 100% charged and keep the power cord on.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
BlueMax wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2011 12:06 pm
...then wonder why your battery ran down ~10% while you slept? ;)

Standby uses a very small amount of power, shutting down will use zero.

Battery would run down ~10% when it is plugged?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76726 posts
1574 upvotes
I have mine plugged into a power bar on my desk anyway, so I just turn the power bar off, but dont unplug. I usualy shut the lid as well, just out of habit
TOTAL WINNINGS TO DATE = $99,719.87
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3157 upvotes
Calgary
Mine sits in a dock overnight. If I was using it, I don't generally shut it down (it will shut itself down). If I wasn't using it, or just returned home, it will be in a shut down state, closed.

I try to keep it charged up as much as I can.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5623 posts
56 upvotes
Calgary
gman wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2011 3:27 pm
Battery would run down ~10% when it is plugged IN?

Obviously not. You didn't mention that. ;) On the other hand, I hear many people kill their batteries this way, constantly using a tiny bit then charging a tiny bit. Leaving it plugged in all the time seems to destroy batteries!

I should seek out theee definitive article on what is the best procedure for good battery maintenance.

But yeah, close the lid and keep out the dust, etc. Just makes sense.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
× < >