• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2017 4:36 pm
Nov 6, 2015
326 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Larger bottle cup holders problems

Hi RFD,

I have a 40oz water bottle that I like to carry but it's a huge pain to have in the car as I don't have any good place to put it since the cup holders in my car do not fit the bottle. Do you guys have any products you use like the Smart Kup holder from the US? Alternatives products here from Canada?

Any other solutions you guys have other than it being on the chair or on the ground rolling while you drive? Thanks!
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
deliciouscesar wrote: Hi RFD,

I have a 40oz water bottle that I like to carry but it's a huge pain to have in the car as I don't have any good place to put it since the cup holders in my car do not fit the bottle. Do you guys have any products you use like the Smart Kup holder from the US? Alternatives products here from Canada?

Any other solutions you guys have other than it being on the chair or on the ground rolling while you drive? Thanks!
Drive with one hand holding up and other one on the wheel. I have driven around town in both manual and automatic with one hand for a while. Hell if I have a slurpee I only use one hand at all times while chugging away on the slurpee.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
40oz is huge, I think most Tumbler are up to 16oz and that's what the car manufacture design to fit up to those size.
Perhaps bring 2 bottle of 16oz?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
dont they have a regular base on the bottom 3 inch then big on top??
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
how about customization? enlarge the cup holder if possible...
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1275 posts
888 upvotes
ON
There should be a pocket on the back of the front seat unless you need to reach it when driving.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
This is funny because for a while cars started to get cup holders that would hold a Big Gulp. Example: I owned a 97 Lumina that had cup holders that used foam flaps to hold small drinks in place and it would hold a large Slurpee (got those often in the summer as the AC was wonky, [the compressor clutch was messed up]).

Around the time SuperSize Me came out and people started to get "Health conscience" (mid-2000s) cup holders went back to being really (Normal sized?)
Nov 6, 2015
326 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto, ON
qaz393 wrote: dont they have a regular base on the bottom 3 inch then big on top??
It's usually very shallow, so even with a big wide holder on the top, bigger drinks will still tip over.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1333 posts
152 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote: 40oz is huge, I think most Tumbler are up to 16oz and that's what the car manufacture design to fit up to those size.
Perhaps bring 2 bottle of 16oz?
I think OP has a Takeya 40oz flask from Costco. I have the same problem. It rides shot gun all the time...only solution so far.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
My honda civic has a really good design. Huge cup holder, then it has 4 clamps spring loaded, so it fits thin bottles to wide.
Nov 6, 2015
326 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto, ON
iam_immigrant wrote: I think OP has a Takeya 40oz flask from Costco. I have the same problem. It rides shot gun all the time...only solution so far.
Close guess! That was one of the bottles I considered buying but went for a hydroflask instead.

I think what I could start doing is put a carabiner on the bottle and then just hooking it to the head rest prongs so it stays. I think thats the only solution I have found for me that works if I don't have a passenger.
As for @Mr_Dogg 's solution, where would I get something like that in Canada? I would like to try to find an adapter like that
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
Isn't the bottom of a big gulp cup kind of like that adapter? Could possibly cut the top of the cup and try
Nov 6, 2015
326 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto, ON
coilz wrote: Isn't the bottom of a big gulp cup kind of like that adapter? Could possibly cut the top of the cup and try
That's actually a really good idea! Thanks I'll give that a try