Tags:
None
Feb 14, 2012
45 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa

Larger fit clothing brands, but not quite big and tall

Hey everyone,

I'm having the hardest time finding clothing brands (for tops) that fit me, as I'm a bit more heavyset/larger than the average person. I've been to the big and tall stores, and their smallest size is too large for me. The best brand shirt that I have found to fit me, are brooks brothers relaxed fit shirts/sweaters. Calvin Klein relaxed fit work sometimes, but tend to be on the short side.

I'm a 6'0" guy, 235lbs, approx. 52" chest, 17.5 collar, 36/37 sleeve. My shoulders are 52-54", depends over time actually. Pant size is 38. My problem essentially is my shoulders, then maybe my chest.

So, with that said, when I go to big and tall, the smaller sizes are either way too baggy around the chest/waist but fine in the shoulders and/or come down way to low in length.

It's been frustrating to say the least. Stores like Frank and Oak, BR, Mexx, Gap, Jack and Jones, J. Crew, Club Monaco, etc don't carry larger than XL. Rarely will I see a XXL. Those rare events, the XXl is still way to tight, and looks like I'm wearing my wifes clothing.

As I said, brooks brothers relaxed/classic fit works the best (to give you a size comparison), but my entire wardrobe is pretty much brooks brothers now. I'd love to expand, with some good quality clothing. Prefer to be Canadian sources, just because there's going to be definite return/exchanges initially. So without being too picky, it would be nice if its an online source, for free shipping and returns as well lol.

I hope you can help! Thanks in advance.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I find that most of the Costco stuff is designed for a more generous fit and they usually have plenty of XL, XXL, etc. I usually buy "Large" size but at Costco I usually have to get "Medium" for the right fit. In the department of dress shirts, their standard shirts definitely have a more generous fit, where as the "slim / tailored fit" is for an average build.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1768 posts
2593 upvotes
I'm in the same boat. MOST XXL will fit me but some are too small like J Crew. XXXL is rarely available unfortunately.

Fashion industry looks down on people who work out it seems...
Feb 14, 2012
45 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote: I find that most of the Costco stuff is designed for a more generous fit and they usually have plenty of XL, XXL, etc. I usually buy "Large" size but at Costco I usually have to get "Medium" for the right fit. In the department of dress shirts, their standard shirts definitely have a more generous fit, where as the "slim / tailored fit" is for an average build.
Agreed. Again, I don't mean to be fussy/picky, but I was hoping for more variety than what Costco's 'flavour of the month' is with their clothing. I've found their clothing to typically be the older, 'not so popular' picks from certain clothing brands. They've had perry ellis, calvin klein, tommy hilfiger -- to name a few -- and the style and type usually aren't exactly modern... I'm not asking for this years fashion -- just this decades perhaps.. lol

RaphaelG041 wrote: Fashion industry looks down on people who work out it seems...
THIS! I'm not looking to buy urban clothing anymore -- those brands have no problems with fit for me. I've gotten older and grown out of that phase, and also need more formal/professional clothing.
Outlet malls, unfortunately, are my only hope. Very rarely, their XXL, or even XXXL were mistakenly made to be longer, or broader at the shoulders, and then fit...lol
Feb 14, 2012
45 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
haha, thanks becks -- I actually have both of those arrow shirts lol

The bay only carries polo big and tall and the sizes are pretty .. oversized.. ! Unfortunately, I think I fit in this weird borderline category, where 'big and tall' is too much, but regular xxl or xxxl are too tight... There are specific brands out there though -- that do make a more relaxed/larger size.. brooks brothers as i mentioned, and arrow I forgot to mention, but that Becks linked. The bay also sometimes puts up a black arrow shirt (for anyone interested!).

That's a good idea though -- to stop anyone that seems my size and to ask them.

Good call on the tailor too -- I do admit, I am totally being stubborn... I'm still holding on to the general market, so I can get deals! lol I've been to a few suit stores, and the bottom line is always to get something m2m, and then the price gets bumped up... Again, certain brands are fine, and ive purchased those brands... but very limited styles... :S

At least people are responding to this thread! There is hope!! :D
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1803 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
Same boat here and I feel your pain.

For T-shirts I now only use Nautica XXL from The Bay. And dress shirts I like to go to Moores and sometimes I find something that fits me well and sometimes I don't.
Feb 14, 2012
45 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
ToDealHunter wrote: Same boat here and I feel your pain.

For T-shirts I now only use Nautica XXL from The Bay. And dress shirts I like to go to Moores and sometimes I find something that fits me well and sometimes I don't.
Thanks for responding. Yea Moores is the same for me -- hit or miss like that. One thing I've been told by some store employees every now and then is to go to the US. Blah
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
So apparently darting is the solution for shirts? Style forum also suggests this. Description/pics in this link:

http://effortlessgent.com/puffy-shirt/

[IMG]http://effortlessgent.com/wp-content/up ... 60x494.jpg[/IMG]

One youtube video said that darts cost around $20, link above suggests $15, style forum says the cost is "cheap". Maybe get 1 shirt darted and then see if anyone in your family with a sewing machine can sew the darts on other shirts.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
I think OP will need more than just darts. He'd likely need the side seams taken in below the underarms to minimize some the excess fabric as well. Men generally are widest at the shoulders and narrow at the hips so think inverted triangle. That's a lot of fabric at the bottom of the triangle to handle. Darts will help with shaping. There's the matter of how much wearing + design ease each top will require for movement-don't want too much of the "extra" taken out or it can ruin the look or restrict movement.

He'd be best off to take some known shirts he can currently get and find an alteration shop or tailor for them to see how fitting will be done. If happy with the results, go to town/online shopping and fine more dressy items and return to the same person to alter the newer finds. Repeat.

Le Chateau Menswear will be too small for OP. I'd suggest you visit Harry Rosen and check what brands fit you best. Splurge on one good outfit and then search sales racks for more from that brand. Get all items altered-the store will have alteration services, so one stop shopping! I don't know if HR has an outlet store in Ottawa. There's one in Mississauga's Heartland Centre.
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Feb 14, 2012
45 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
Becks wrote: So apparently darting is the solution for shirts? Style forum also suggests this. Description/pics in this link:

http://effortlessgent.com/puffy-shirt/

One youtube video said that darts cost around $20, link above suggests $15, style forum says the cost is "cheap". Maybe get 1 shirt darted and then see if anyone in your family with a sewing machine can sew the darts on other shirts.
I think this is certainly a solution for those who are a muscular build at an average height/weight -- definitely. Unfortunately, for larger sizes, Ciel (below) is correct with extra fabric being needed to be minimized. At this point, it would almost be better to go custom made.
Ciel wrote: He'd be best off to take some known shirts he can currently get and find an alteration shop or tailor for them to see how fitting will be done. If happy with the results, go to town/online shopping and fine more dressy items and return to the same person to alter the newer finds. Repeat.

Le Chateau Menswear will be too small for OP. I'd suggest you visit Harry Rosen and check what brands fit you best. Splurge on one good outfit and then search sales racks for more from that brand. Get all items altered-the store will have alteration services, so one stop shopping! I don't know if HR has an outlet store in Ottawa. There's one in Mississauga's Heartland Centre.
This is something I have been thinking about. I tried an online m2m site, gave measurements for shirts that do fit me, and wasn't exactly happy with the results -- quality wise. That was my mistake obviously, going online, and not in person, and having a discussion as you mentioned. I'll definitely go this route, if I don't find ready to wear clothing brands. They do exist though. They must..! :D Brooks brothers, arrow, and nautica -- these seem to be the ones for now :)

Side note, regarding harry rosen. I'll travel all the way to mississauga/anywhere else before going back to the one in Ottawa. Ok, maybe that's a bit harsh. I'll wait till my pride's in check -- absolutely horrible service there from a very snobby group of people who are vocal about their hatred towards those who are just browsing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
The outlet centre may not offer alteration services but at least you can try seeing what the prices are on clothing and maybe score some finds. Yes, store staff can make or break an impression. As long as staff do let you in on any promotions and let you know their name when you are ready to try things on, then they could save the trip with sales once you get your time in. I guess the high-end stores think everyone coming into the stores want to be waited on right away but like you mentioned, since finding anything your size is a big process, you need time to take in all of the offerings in "new" stores. Some retail staff get that.
My brother likes Costco Kirkland white t-shirts but I'm not keen on the clothing sold there. He rarely shops in stores except Winners or Costco unless he needs a new suit, then it's Moores/Tip Top. I tried to shop Gap, HBC and Eddie Bauer but the sizing does not fit him so returned items.

Hamilton has a Gilbert's Big and Tall store not far from the Main St. W. on-ramp from Hwy 403 but you'd have to come up a side street to access its King St. W. parking lot. Pricing tends to be high and they have name brands. Might be worth a stop after you visit Mississauga?
https://www.facebook.com/gilbertsbigand ... 5579612293
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
The Harry Rosen staff there need to read about the Porsche dealership visit where only one employee was willing to greet the customer wearing old blue jeans, who ended up buying a car after getting greeted, inspecting the car of interest and taking a and road test. All because the other employees dismissed the customer by appearance, yet moaned about missed commission when the one salesperson made the effort.
Feb 14, 2012
45 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
Ciel wrote: My brother likes Costco Kirkland white t-shirts but I'm not keen on the clothing sold there. He rarely shops in stores except Winners or Costco unless he needs a new suit, then it's Moores/Tip Top. I tried to shop Gap, HBC and Eddie Bauer but the sizing does not fit him so returned items.

Hamilton has a Gilbert's Big and Tall store not far from the Main St. W. on-ramp from Hwy 403 but you'd have to come up a side street to access its King St. W. parking lot. Pricing tends to be high and they have name brands. Might be worth a stop after you visit Mississauga?
https://www.facebook.com/gilbertsbigand ... 5579612293
Thanks. I'll give it a try -- why not. I do buy the costco kirkland t-shirts.. use them as undershirts sometimes -- otherwise I do agree with you on their clothing sold there. Moores/Tip Top have both tried very hard for me each time I go in (which I truly appreciated) and have always then just referred me to find a tailor for custom. Gap, BR, Mexx, J. Crew have all told me that larger sizes don't exist. BR online does have a big and tall section, but its actually really just a 'tall' section. Sleeve length is a bit longer, rest of the measurements are the same. Eddie Bauer used to have a lot in the past! But yes, nothing fits anymore. Thanks again.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
Sears does not have the Casual Male line section in the Spring/Summer catalogue.
Online, there's a limited offering aka probably clearing out soon. http://www.sears.ca/catalog/casual-male ... /100002584
The outlet site has many items but it's the sizing that did not sell. http://www.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... query=true
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
When I noticed that Harry Rosen Outlet's ad in the Toronto Star earlier this month had a website, I had to jot it down to post here:

http://www.theoutletbyharryrosen.com/

There's a spring suit sale now on at the two Ontario outlet stores.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mark's work wearhouse
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2014
1239 posts
159 upvotes
Mississauga
You and me are essentially the same build, I wear brands mostly from Harry Rosen and whatever they carry seem to fit me quite well.
Feb 14, 2012
45 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
Ciel wrote: When I noticed that Harry Rosen Outlet's ad in the Toronto Star earlier this month had a website, I had to jot it down to post here:

http://www.theoutletbyharryrosen.com/

There's a spring suit sale now on at the two Ontario outlet stores.
Thank you, seem's like I'll have to frequent it here, and hope for the best re: sales associates
yesstyle wrote: mark's work wearhouse
thanks, went there before, definitely not as dressy as I need, but still a valuable option
SuburbanGangster wrote: You and me are essentially the same build, I wear brands mostly from Harry Rosen and whatever they carry seem to fit me quite well.
Another harry rosen mention -- thank you. Will have to bite the bullet and just swallow my pride and go with the flow, lol.

Also, for those near outlets -- Polo has a big and tall section in their store, that often has huge savings for items that are not always in stock in department stores like the Bay, and for a greater discount as well. I was able to purchase some decent sweaters that are priced ~$120-$150 at the Bay, for around ~$30-$50 after discounts in the outlet. Went to a few locations of the bay in toronto and was told that the big and tall selection is essentially website only. Some of their brands are in store, just not as much variety or stock for all the sizes. I definitely need to try on each size regardless of what fits or not to make sure it actually does fit!

Nordstrom's website seems to hold a lot of the big and tall sizes -- will have to check that out as well as they enter Canada.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)