• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2008 10:02 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 23, 2005
55 posts
3 upvotes

Laser Etching On Eyeglass Lenses??

I just picked up my new pair of eyeglasses that I paid extra $$$$$ for the ultra-thin high-density lenses.

It's my first time getting these... and when I look at them from a side view... they are still much thicker than I expected (I am 500 in each eye).

Anyways, what really stands out about my new lenses is that when I look at them from a particular angle... I noticed a "stain" on each lense. When I looked carefully, it wasn't actually a stain... it was more of a logo that seems to be laser etched. The logo looks like the letter "C" with arrow heads (or curved triangles) on either side of the "C".

Has anyone seen this before? The person at the store said they have a logo on the lense because they are made by a brand name manufacturer. Is this true? Who is the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for your help and information!
5 replies
Sep 24, 2006
248 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
MagicCollector wrote:
Sep 12th, 2008 10:47 pm
I just picked up my new pair of eyeglasses that I paid extra $$$$$ for the ultra-thin high-density lenses.

It's my first time getting these... and when I look at them from a side view... they are still much thicker than I expected (I am 500 in each eye).

Anyways, what really stands out about my new lenses is that when I look at them from a particular angle... I noticed a "stain" on each lense. When I looked carefully, it wasn't actually a stain... it was more of a logo that seems to be laser etched. The logo looks like the letter "C" with arrow heads (or curved triangles) on either side of the "C".

Has anyone seen this before? The person at the store said they have a logo on the lense because they are made by a brand name manufacturer. Is this true? Who is the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for your help and information!
Did you get progressive lenses or single vision?
Most likely the lenses is from ESSILOR
[OP]
Jan 23, 2005
55 posts
3 upvotes
They are single vision. I checked out the website for ESSILOR and the logo looks somewhat similar... but the ones laser etched on my lenses look more like "<U>" where the U is actually more like a C shape.

Have never seen logos etched on lenses for eyeglasses before... and just wanted to see if others have ever heard of such a thing... and what it means. Is it really just to show off a brand name? I find it so silly and when I look at the lense it seems strange looking.

Thanks for the help!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1269 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
I know with Ray-Ban Sunglasses aside from the obvious "Ray-Ban" on the top corner of the right lens, the left lens has RB laser etched onto it that is barely even noticeable
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2006
2939 posts
46 upvotes
Sorta off topic, but when I read the topic title I thought of these:

Captain Archibald Witwicky's eyeglasses (Transformers)
[OP]
Jan 23, 2005
55 posts
3 upvotes
I've been told that my lenses are probably from Outlook, part of the Vision-Ease company (from the USA). Also was told that they are "progressive" lenses... are nice name-brand lenses... and I also realized that I have no idea what the difference is between progressive and single vision lenses (I just give them my prescription and pickup my glasses).

So, not sure how to verify this though since I can't seem to find the logo that is etched on the lenses. Is anyone familiar with this maker and can validate for me?

Thanks!
× < >