• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2013 2:28 pm
[OP]
Feb 5, 2011
72 posts
3 upvotes
Scarborough

laser eye surgery?

Anyone got laser eye surgery? I was thinking of getting it done this summer... hate wearing glasses now...

Currently 26yrs old and this age would be perfect?

How much will it cost total?

I think my insurance company will only cover $850 dollars and they rest I will have to pay...

Can anyone recommend which place decent so I'm not getting scammed?

Is there anyway to compare actual price vs. If I tell have insurance? Wonder if they increase if I tell them i have insurance?

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1295 posts
38 upvotes
BC
There's a long thread on this exact topic. Start reading here. I'm sure many of your questions will be answered there.

I haven't had it done though I would love to! A friend had it done last year and she loves the results. She paid 5K. I think you'll be looking at 4-5K in total, with or without insurance. I doubt that they would care if you have insurance or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3467 posts
701 upvotes
Mine wore off at around the ten year mark. Back to glasses.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5245 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto
If you look hard enough, you will find reasons not to do it. Yes, it is a risk, but it is minimal for the benefits it brings. You can lower the risk by going to a reputable doctor/clinic. Bochner/Herzog are the names I would trust. Yup, they're more expensive, but I didn't want to cheap out on something like eye surgery. Read the existing thread - lots of opinions there, but keep in mind, like all forums, the loudest voices will be from those who had complications, and they represent a pretty small percentage of the people who have had it done.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18898 posts
3559 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
milhaus wrote: but keep in mind, like all forums, the loudest voices will be from those who had complications, and they represent a pretty small percentage of the people who have had it done.
True enough, but this is not like buying an automobile or a boat or something where, ultimately, it is just money and you can eventually buy another one. If your eyes are screwed up, sorry, even if you are in the 0.1% who had a problem you are done. They're an irreplaceable part of your body, rather than just money. I actually went to an optometrist once who was actually a victim of getting serious vitreous floaters after laser eye surgery.

Considering that vitreous floaters are generally benign, this is not even considered to be a "complication" by most ophthalmologists.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1102 posts
31 upvotes
The prices have come down drastically, and it is a great investment considering what we can pay for glasses and contacts every two years!

I think you need to confirm stigmatism issues as well. Cover all your basis! Best of luck =)
Feeling Down? Check out www.growthguided.com Helps me all the time!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1493 posts
118 upvotes
Got mine done in 2008 from Yonge Eglinton Laser, paid $4500. Best investment ever
Oct 2, 2012
683 posts
30 upvotes
tkl wrote: Mine wore off at around the ten year mark. Back to glasses.
same happened to me
was there no guarantee?
I've had three different procedures (Lasik twice and PRK the third time)
I only paid for the first procedure