Laser Hair removal salon recommendation

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2010 1:06 pm
Nov 16, 2008
251 posts
6 upvotes
GTA

Laser Hair removal salon recommendation

Can someone suggest/ recommend a good salon (Price & service wise) in GTA for laser hair removal.

Please share your thoughts and/or experiences with laser hair removal.

Thanks
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2009
1243 posts
28 upvotes
Ballair Laser Clinic. They had 30% off during christmas break. I'm not sure if that's still on or if there's another discount.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
I heard someone in off topic recommend hummingbird medi spa.

I am also curious for Ottawa recommendations.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10206 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
How long does this work for? 3 months?
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 39-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
It isn't generally toted as 'permanent removal' so much as 'reduction'. Over the course of several treatments less and less hair will grow back, and the hair that does will be lighter/finer until it is basically gone. I've heard some people need to go back in about 1/year for some touch-ups type of thing.

Since the hair grows in 3 stages, each session can only really target the hair growing in 1 of those cycles. So for best results you're going to need AT LEAST 3 treatments.

This is all from my understanding anyway.
Nov 16, 2008
251 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
Does anyone have any first hand experience and would suggest a spa/ salon in GTA ?
Nov 16, 2008
251 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
Deadmau555 wrote: Ballair Laser Clinic. They had 30% off during christmas break. I'm not sure if that's still on or if there's another discount.
Their pricing seems to be a bit high, but I will still look for reviews. Did you use their services in the past.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2009
1243 posts
28 upvotes
coolhead05 wrote: Their pricing seems to be a bit high, but I will still look for reviews. Did you use their services in the past.
Yes, I got a package of 5 and never had hair since.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
angekfire wrote: I heard someone in off topic recommend hummingbird medi spa.

I am also curious for Ottawa recommendations.
in Ottawa Dr. H Mcdonald on centerpointe drive, Nepean.
Very professional, and a lot of the times it is either the doctor or his assistant that does the work,
so it is not a salon.

the doctor is the one that does the consultations too, and he is also an eye surgeon (and a very well regarded one too)
He used to be on Centerpointe drive in the large medical building,
and also practiced at the riverside for eye surgeries.

um, not sure on the prices though as I had laser hair removal there years ago,

from what I looked up his office might have moved to kilborne rd?
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
it was probably me who recommended hummingbird medi spa....I've done all my treatments there and seen good results. Check the website for current specials. :)
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Bought my wife a set of sessions a few years back...best gift she ever had. Essentially has lasted years with only minimal regrowth. What would have once been a big shaving/waxing day is a 10 second touch up with a razor.

Cannot remember the name, but was at Bayview Village. They were great, very accomodating.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
jandumm wrote: it was probably me who recommended hummingbird medi spa....I've done all my treatments there and seen good results. Check the website for current specials. :)
They seem pretty reputable.
I got a coupon for a free manicure from the women's show from there.

one thing about laser hair removal is is like passing a lit match over your skin and can leave a lot of redness.
you also need to use sunscreen for a while and no skin products/lotions ect....
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
Bookpreviews wrote: They seem pretty reputable.
I got a coupon for a free manicure from the women's show from there.

one thing about laser hair removal is is like passing a lit match over your skin and can leave a lot of redness.
you also need to use sunscreen for a while and no skin products/lotions ect....
I go to the Streetsville (Mississauga) location and no big complaints -> The Streetsville location doesn't accept male clients without a referral from a female customer -> not sure if it's due to their location operating out of an old bungalow, or if it's a company wide policy.

A good technician shouldn't cause redness I find. They should be able to change the intensity to match your skin type/colour/sensitivity. You have to stay out of the sun for 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after treatments.

It's definitely a different kind of pain compared to waxing....if the laser passes over an area with no hair, you don't feel anything. When it goes over hair, there's a weird sort of under the skin popping thing with a burning hair smell. The first couple times were especially painful for me -> I began taking two advils before I went :D
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
in Ottawa Dr. H Mcdonald on centerpointe drive, Nepean.
Very professional, and a lot of the times it is either the doctor or his assistant that does the work,
so it is not a salon.

from what I looked up his office might have moved to kilborne rd?
Do they have a website, e-mail address, or phone number?
jandumm wrote: I go to the Streetsville (Mississauga) location and no big complaints -> The Streetsville location doesn't accept male clients without a referral from a female customer -> not sure if it's due to their location operating out of an old bungalow, or if it's a company wide policy.
I find that incredibly dumb. Why would they alienate potential clients? Is my money somehow worth less than women's money? If that is a company wide policy, I would no longer consider giving them my business. Completely ridiculous.

EDIT: I checked their website and they have packages for men, so I don't think it is a company wide policy.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
jandumm wrote: I go to the Streetsville (Mississauga) location and no big complaints -> The Streetsville location doesn't accept male clients without a referral from a female customer -> not sure if it's due to their location operating out of an old bungalow, or if it's a company wide policy.

A good technician shouldn't cause redness I find. They should be able to change the intensity to match your skin type/colour/sensitivity. You have to stay out of the sun for 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after treatments.

It's definitely a different kind of pain compared to waxing....if the laser passes over an area with no hair, you don't feel anything. When it goes over hair, there's a weird sort of under the skin popping thing with a burning hair smell. The first couple times were especially painful for me -> I began taking two advils before I went :D
I actually have very sensitive skin, so that might be a issue.
I even have problems with my skin burning from some deodorants,
the life all natural one (not sure if the still have it), but it burned my skin so bad I hadto rinse it off and use benadryl cream :o
So, considering my skin issues and that I have had bad allergic reaction to stuff....
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
angekfire wrote: I find that incredibly dumb. Why would they alienate potential clients? Is my money somehow worth less than women's money? If that is a company wide policy, I would no longer consider giving them my business. Completely ridiculous.
For the particular location I go to, I think it's only related to a security issue -> I think they had some incidents with creepos and quite often there's only one girl working in the place, hence the unfortunate policy.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
1197 posts
115 upvotes
Does anyone know approx. how much laser hair removal costs? I checked some websites and they are really expensive!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
Apparently there is a new technology out called IPL (Intense Light Pulse) that has comparable results to Laser removal, but is way cheaper (almost 50% less some places). I am currently taking a look into it, but as an example

Hummingbird Medispa (chest): $280/session using Laser
Monalisa Laser (Chest): $150/session Using IPL

Mind you, I have heard basically nothing about the second place, and can't find any reviews. I will probably be trying to set up a consultation soon.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)