• Nov 11th, 2019 2:42 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Mar 16, 2012
100 posts
4 upvotes
DUNDAS
hany, have you ever tried any kind of hair removal cream. i know laser hair removal is good as well.
Nov 20, 2012
188 posts
8 upvotes
RAYMOND
I didn't find mine painful at all! Best money i've ever spent for sure. I went to Silhouette Clinic in Kitchener, they're fantastic there and the prices were good. I got my full legs, underarms, and bikini done. My results were great, after 3 treatments my hair was completely gone. My girl there is awesome too I love her, and she did it really quickly. They use the LightSheer Diode, its super fast, doesn't hurt, and there's two different heads so she'd use the smaller one when doing my bikini line to get a straight edge (i didn't get full bikini) and the larger head on my legs and pits. Like someone else mentioned though make sure you go to a reputable place, untrained technicians or unclean equipment could leave you with an infection or scarring or worse!
>
Dec 3, 2006
59 posts
88 upvotes
Thornhill
Hope I'm not dragging up an old thread ... but someone might find the info useful.

I had a habit of plucking hair off my legs before, and it left hideous scars! Well, little dots all over my legs. Either way - not a pretty sight for the summer. I eventually jumped on one of those group buy deals. The salon I went to used the Soprano XL, and had the treatment done on my legs (below the knees). It was completely pain free. Each session took about 15 min or so, and had about 8 sessions. I had the procedure done in early 2011. So it's been about 2 years now, and I'm glad to say I'm still hair-free in the areas where I had the treatment. And my scars are gone! I may require a shave every month or 1.5 months, but that's just for the stray hairs. A tweezer would do the job.

I jumped on another laser deal awhile later for my underarms, but this time, the salon used the Cutera machines. And dear god that hurt! It does feel like someone is snapping your skin with an elastic band. I had 5 sessions, and did them around the summer of 2011. I'm still relatively hair-free, but require a quick shave every few weeks. There are numbing creams you can buy, but I've never tried that. I did bring an ice pack in with me each time, so I can quickly numb the area before the technician zapped me. Made the sessions more bearable.

Hope that helps!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
2171 posts
874 upvotes
I am wondering whether i should get this.
My only worry is that my leg hair is barely visible. Very thin. Like i could go outside without having shaven for months and nobody would realize it until they look at my legs up close.
Would it still work?
Also because my hair's really thin? I have some that dont come out of the skin.
I cant really describe it but basically kind of like having an acne except mine has hair inside it instead of sebum or something lol (sorry it sounds gross)
I think it's just that because my hair is so thin, it cant come out of my skin sometimes and just stays under the very thin layer of skin.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
I've been thinking of getting laser hair removal for my cheeks. I have a few strands of hair that doesn't grow as evenly as the rest and it's getting tedious to pluck them. Anyone tried laser hair removal for cheeks?

Right now I'm eyeing a deal for $169 1 year unlimited. The deal site claims retail value of $3096. The deal says tax not included. Does that mean I have to pay a ton of tax?

I see lots of conflicting info about the Soprano XL. Anyone with actual experiences within the GTA?

Thanks for input.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2990 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
question.

if I do fewer sessions, will it help thin out my hair?

current hair on a patch of skin
(H - hair, n - no hair)

HHHHHH
HHHHHH
HHHHHH
HHHHHH

can a few sessions turn it into:

HnHnHn
nHnHnH
HnHnHn
nHnHnH

does it work that way?

I ask, because some areas have so much hair, all growing super close to each other.
I don't want to get rid of it all, I just want less of it.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3945 posts
1376 upvotes
Vancouver
BananaHunter wrote: I've been thinking of getting laser hair removal for my cheeks. I have a few strands of hair that doesn't grow as evenly as the rest and it's getting tedious to pluck them. Anyone tried laser hair removal for cheeks?

Right now I'm eyeing a deal for $169 1 year unlimited. The deal site claims retail value of $3096. The deal says tax not included. Does that mean I have to pay a ton of tax?

I see lots of conflicting info about the Soprano XL. Anyone with actual experiences within the GTA?

Thanks for input.
Not in the GTA, but I had 4 sessions done with Soprano XL. I'm not sold on its effectiveness. After 4 sessions, I still have hair, although it's much finer and not as noticeable. This was my upper lip. I don't see there being any issues with lasering your cheeks.

For that price, hold out for a more effective LHR deal, ie lightsheer. If you find a Soprano XL deal for rock bottom cheap, might be worth considering.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3945 posts
1376 upvotes
Vancouver
hdave wrote: question.

if I do fewer sessions, will it help thin out my hair?

current hair on a patch of skin
(H - hair, n - no hair)

HHHHHH
HHHHHH
HHHHHH
HHHHHH

can a few sessions turn it into:

HnHnHn
nHnHnH
HnHnHn
nHnHnH

does it work that way?

I ask, because some areas have so much hair, all growing super close to each other.
I don't want to get rid of it all, I just want less of it.
Halfway through my LHR sessions I was getting bare patches in some spots and the hair was definitely growing back finer in others. However, sounds like bare patches wouldn't be ideal in your case?Or choose a not as effective method like Soprano XL. lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1621 posts
251 upvotes
Newmarket
i really want to do this on my bikini line, and armpits......both areas that i never waxed, unlike my legs....so i'm not sure if i can handle the pain

also, does it hurt more if the hair is thicker, or is it all same pain level?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3945 posts
1376 upvotes
Vancouver
jelena-c wrote: i really want to do this on my bikini line, and armpits......both areas that i never waxed, unlike my legs....so i'm not sure if i can handle the pain

also, does it hurt more if the hair is thicker, or is it all same pain level?
It definitely hurts more when the hair is coarser/thicker.

I would equate the pain w/ someone snapping you with a rubber band in very quick succession over and over.
Sep 20, 2011
23 posts
My mom bought a groupon deal for underarm laser hair removal and it did not work...it did for a short period of time but once her sessions were up it started to grow back..
Banned
Aug 25, 2014
49 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well I have recently removed my body hair. I preferred to get undergo laser hair removal treatment in Toronto from a well known skin care clinic.
The clinic specializes in the most effective and permanent laser treatments. My neighbors suggested me for it. And its pretty safe and for all types of skins.
Must go on!!
Mar 6, 2011
2 posts
Markham
Thanks ! I too had great results with cutera laser hair removal machine. I always wax prior (to laser hair removal treatment). Am actively looking for a coupon deal for bikini/brazillian/backside and upper leg in York region. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Mar 10, 2008
235 posts
8 upvotes
caitlink wrote: Lots of groupon sites with deals.

Anyone tried? Will six or nine sessions remove hair completely from underarm area?
What about pain and discomfort level?

Which spa did u go to? Thx.
I did only upper lip, checked if it was Light Sheer and asked few questions regarding red spots or anything before I started.

Did about 8 sittings, but hair always came back. I went back to waxing now. That is not even the issue but I got a permanent pigmentation above my upper lip like a moustache (HATE IT). I am fair skinned and I was assured by the lady that I will not get pigmentation issues and it only happens with dark skinned people.

I went to my family doctor for a remedy and he asked me to let it go for few years because using any cream might aggravate it or show it more prominent. So I am living with this wonderful experience of seeing my upper lip pigmented skin every day. I wish I never wasted 300 dollars. I got this treatment done at a prime spot in Toronto downtown.

So my 2cents, before doing laser, do a blood test and confirm if laser treatment will be effective for your skin type and body.

Forgot something - YES IT HURTS LIKE HELL
Sep 24, 2014
82 posts
16 upvotes
White Rock, BC
I just checked out a local laser hair removal place and they gave me the straight dope. A successful series of treatments does NOT lead to permanent hair removal: success is a 50-80% reduction in hair in the treated areas. So you won't be smooth like an egg, but you will be either very or very, very smooth. They said yearly touch ups are possible but probably overkill (and these are people who make money doing this).

They also said that, depending on what other medications you're taking, you can take a pain killer first. And not vodka (I asked. Yes, I'm classy like that).
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
Had laser hair removal done a few years ago via IPL for underarms and sadly yes, the hair has grown back already. It was not at all permanent, there were always stray/small hairs and then probably some re-growth about 1 year in.

That being said, I think the time between the sessions is very important. it's important to catch the growth cycle so that you're catching all the hair follicles as they grow. I was recommended 6-9 weeks between treatments but admittedly I've let a bit more time lapse. So I've probably missed a growth cycle and that's why the hair always grew back.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3945 posts
1376 upvotes
Vancouver
kmarcie wrote: Had laser hair removal done a few years ago via IPL for underarms and sadly yes, the hair has grown back already. It was not at all permanent, there were always stray/small hairs and then probably some re-growth about 1 year in.

That being said, I think the time between the sessions is very important. it's important to catch the growth cycle so that you're catching all the hair follicles as they grow. I was recommended 6-9 weeks between treatments but admittedly I've let a bit more time lapse. So I've probably missed a growth cycle and that's why the hair always grew back.
I think it's more the fact that IPL is not the most effective laser hair removal method. The gold standard has been lightsheer and i think there were some other ones (yag?).
Nov 10, 2019
1 posts
Have you tried any of the "at home" options? I am somewhat gun shy as I have a wedding this coming april and want to make sure that I don't get burnt as I have read some horror stories. I just ordered from these guys https://getsilktouch.com/pages/home-page seems to be somewhat reputable but theres also alot of people selling the same laser it seems like. Any advice it greatly appreciate as my future hubby is not happy that I'm taking this risk.