None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1673 posts
236 upvotes
Nova Scotia

Latest churning methods?

I've had a G3 with fido for near 2 years and it's done. I want to keep my grandfatheref plan but avoid renewing a 2 year term since I may be moving where they don't operate.

It's been awhile but when I was last on the scene you could use gift cards and cancellation techniques with virgin koodo etc to get phones cheap without the commitment. What is the method today? I'm expecting they fixed loophole s.
I am happy to answer questions about my experience with Fido and Tangerine.
5 replies
May 8, 2009
1687 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Loophole is not closed, per se.

The day 2 cancellation option works if you don't care to maintain a relationship with the retailer. If you cancel on day 2 after activating a phone at their shop, they'll likely deny you phone activations in the future. This works for flagship devices without any gift card incentives (just device balance discounts) on Koodo or budget or mid-range phones on Virgin as they don't claw back on activation incentives.

The 90 day haul works if you're getting gift cards on Koodo (since otherwise they'd claw it back), or you would like to maintain an ongoing phone activation deal with your retailer.

Since you're already with Fido, what about adding a line to your Fido account and then cancel on day 2 or day 91? I know Virgin offers the one month free on added lines, would Fido not do the same (since I think they ditched their refer a friend deal)?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Mar 1, 2015
60 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:33 am

The day 2 cancellation option works if you don't care to maintain a relationship with the retailer. If you cancel on day 2 after activating a phone at their shop, they'll likely deny you phone activations in the future. This works for flagship devices without any gift card incentives (just device balance discounts) on Koodo or budget or mid-range phones on Virgin as they don't claw back on activation incentives.

The 90 day haul works if you're getting gift cards on Koodo (since otherwise they'd claw it back), or you would like to maintain an ongoing phone activation deal with your retailer.

Since you're already with Fido, what about adding a line to your Fido account and then cancel on day 2 or day 91? I know Virgin offers the one month free on added lines, would Fido not do the same (since I think they ditched their refer a friend deal)?
If I have an existing Koodo account, how do I take advantage of the activation deals?
May 8, 2009
1687 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ateddybear wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:46 pm
If I have an existing Koodo account, how do I take advantage of the activation deals?
Add new lines to your existing account. If you're doing the 90 day haul, be sure to refer yourself to maximize referral credits (assuming you haven't hit your referral cap of $300 per line per calendar year).
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1673 posts
236 upvotes
Nova Scotia
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:33 am

I am looking to pay up to $200 for a phone, what do you recommend? On koodo incentives, do they claw back pc points from tms? By 90 day haul are you saying you need to pay 3 months before cancellation?
I am happy to answer questions about my experience with Fido and Tangerine.
May 8, 2009
1687 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jmatheson64 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:43 pm
I am looking to pay up to $200 for a phone, what do you recommend? On koodo incentives, do they claw back pc points from tms? By 90 day haul are you saying you need to pay 3 months before cancellation?
Up to $200 net will get you a mid-range on the Koodo game. Current options are:
  1. Galaxy A5
  2. LG Stylo 3 Plus
  3. LG G5
If you cancel within 90 days, Koodo can clawback the activation incentives including gift cards or referral credits (including PC points).