Latest No Frills commercials, WTF?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2017 7:03 am
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
762 posts
378 upvotes

Latest No Frills commercials, WTF?

I'm sure you've all seen them (unless you're of the Netflix binge-TV-watching type):

The ironic thing to me is, the very things they are poking fun at, you see in action at LOBLAWS GREAT FOOD, LOBLAWS MARKETS, and ZEHR'S. Which are all owned by the same company as No Frills, namely Loblaws.

Maybe they're taking a pre-emptive strike against Whole Foods now that it's an Amazon property? Or trying to make fun of people who shop at places like Whole Foods, Farm Boy, and Longo's?

To me these ads make no sense. They're really just preaching to the choir...

If they truly wanted to go after their direct competition in the cheapskate market, they need to make fun of Asian supermarkets (the ones that aren't T&T). Highlight the lack of cleanliness, the smell of rotten seafood, the questionable quality of the meats, having to put in a loonie instead of a quarter to get a cart, the long checkout lines and surly service (unless you speak Cantonese), risking your life in the parking lots.... But you know how that goes.

Where I live there are 2 Asian supermarkets in close proximity that are having a vicious price war to the death; I truly believe the owners of each store want to put the other guy out of business (so he can jack up all his prices once he's successful)*. The nearest No Frills stores must be hurting.

* so what I do in the name of competition is, I shop both stores. I want the war to go on forever. Remember what I say about competition - you want to prevent monopoly/dominance of one player.
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9103 posts
3203 upvotes
Ottawa
They’re not after Loblaws money they want FreshCo’s money. People who enjoy full service grocery stores and prices will continue to do so. They aren’t doing it to save money (believe it or not some people outside rfd are willing to pay more for service and quality...oh the horror),

NoFrills ran Price Chopper out of business...sobey’s had to rebrand them to FreshCo’s or Foodland and now they’re on a tear opening 10 stores for every NoFrills. We sold a piece of land recently to Sobey’s who will open a FreshCo there in 2018. They’re bullish in their strategy and Galen knows he’s losing ground if he doesn’t want to lose the ‘discount grocery’ shoppers.

These ads are just a reminder they’re in the discount grocery business.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
762 posts
378 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:43 pm
They’re not after Loblaws money they want FreshCo’s money. People who enjoy full service grocery stores and prices will continue to do so. They aren’t doing it to save money (believe it or not some people outside rfd are willing to pay more for service and quality...oh the horror),

NoFrills ran Price Chopper out of business...sobey’s had to rebrand them to FreshCo’s or Foodland and now they’re on a tear opening 10 stores for every NoFrills. We sold a piece of land recently to Sobey’s who will open a FreshCo there in 2018. They’re bullish in their strategy and Galen knows he’s losing ground if he doesn’t want to lose the ‘discount grocery’ shoppers.

These ads are just a reminder they’re in the discount grocery business.
I get that NF doesn't want Loblaws' money... if anything wouldn't Westonette prefer people (over)spend at Loblaws rather than NF? More money in his pocket that way...

Price Chopper really was the weakest link, but as FreshCo they aren't horrible places to shop anymore. I actually like them better than NF and Food Basic$. But it seems there's been a fast expansion in Asian supermarkets too (I'm wondering if they're all owned by the same people...) so that whole discount category should be worried.

It's really too bad the Albrecht brothers won't come north to Canada (so many reasons they won't, not the least of which is the dairy cartel). Westonette would have no answer if Aldi and Trader Joe's set up shop here.
Sep 26, 2011
56 posts
26 upvotes
The 'Aisles' commercial always makes me laugh where they stereotype the employee who enthusiastically wants the customer to sign up for a newsletter where "you'll get so many emails... constantly!" :rolleyes:
I've been shopping in No Frills numerous times when the usual suspect PC Financial MasterCard predatory salespeople are roaming the aisles, pressuring shoppers to sign up for Galen's credit card. To me, not much different than being asked to opt in for a whole lotta spam marketing.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2793 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:57 pm
I get that NF doesn't want Loblaws' money... if anything wouldn't Westonette prefer people (over)spend at Loblaws rather than NF? More money in his pocket that way...

Price Chopper really was the weakest link, but as FreshCo they aren't horrible places to shop anymore. I actually like them better than NF and Food Basic$. But it seems there's been a fast expansion in Asian supermarkets too (I'm wondering if they're all owned by the same people...) so that whole discount category should be worried.

It's really too bad the Albrecht brothers won't come north to Canada (so many reasons they won't, not the least of which is the dairy cartel). Westonette would have no answer if Aldi and Trader Joe's set up shop here.
You're still mixing the two market segments up. Yes, they're 'preaching to the choir' - but the target audience for these ads aren't, and won't be shopping at Loblaws. They're shopping at FreshCo, Walmart, etc...it's an important aspect of the Loblaws business to have distinct differences.

Strangely enough, Superstore is considered a part of their 'value' brands whereas Loblaws, Zehrs are in the 'Premium' brands.

But you just need to not associate them as one in the same as despite them having the same parent company - they're two different businesses.

Another thought is that there's the potential that the 'value' grocery segment is growing due to increased costs lately and competition from Amazon, etc...so while they of course still want to sustain the lucrativeness of their premium brands, if their data is showing customers are looking elsewhere due to price/cost then it would make sense to still position the lower end brands to keep money in-house.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7274 posts
2292 upvotes
ON
Maybe it's just me, but I see TV ads as a 'frill'.
So much for the titular concept and keeping prices low.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8316 posts
1531 upvotes
London
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:57 pm
Price Chopper really was the weakest link, but as FreshCo they aren't horrible places to shop anymore.
Price Chopper has some awesome sales... and that's all I buy there. NF gets a slight edge to Food Basics for most other stuff.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
762 posts
378 upvotes
canaduh wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:18 pm
The 'Aisles' commercial always makes me laugh where they stereotype the employee who enthusiastically wants the customer to sign up for a newsletter where "you'll get so many emails... constantly!" :rolleyes:
I've been shopping in No Frills numerous times when the usual suspect PC Financial MasterCard predatory salespeople are roaming the aisles, pressuring shoppers to sign up for Galen's credit card. To me, not much different than being asked to opt in for a whole lotta spam marketing.
Which supermarket chain spams your email box "constantly"? Farm Boy emails me their flyer (which used to include a weekly special coupon) ONCE A WEEK. Costco emails me their weekly specials EVERY MONDAY. Trader Joe's emails me their "Fearless Flyer" ONCE A MONTH. None of those qualify as "constantly". OTOH, Groupon spams me 2 or 3 times a DAY. That would qualify.

Loblaws is full of crap and they know it. "It's worth switching supermarkets for" - yes, they're right about that, I choose to shop everywhere else.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Oct 13th, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 7, 2012
631 posts
221 upvotes
TORONTO
I personally like these commercials. They just opened up a Longo's near my house. It's nice, the bread is excellent, but the prices are no where near my family's budget. If anything it feels like NF is taking shots at stores like Longo's or Metro...

OP, as for your Chinese supermarket diatribe.... I'm asian by descent and am all to familiar with these supermarkets. They're amazing when they just open but after a few years they really start to run down. They should only have a shelf life of 5 years and start a new. I'm sure they can afford it. Should NF attack them... I guess they can... but these supermarkets offer things I usually can't get at NF. Prices are ok for the most part. But for in depth cultural ingredients, they're the go to place. You're spot on with the smells and the seafood/meat departments. But it's our go to for frozen/fresh short ribs and ox tail. I'm not going there for steaks... gross.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3238 posts
661 upvotes
Mississauga
I've never seen a No Frills commercial. Are you guys watching the Asian TV channels?????

Also, there are No Frills locations around me which are the only places that make you put $1 for a cart.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
762 posts
378 upvotes
ar2020 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:21 am
I've never seen a No Frills commercial. Are you guys watching the Asian TV channels?????

Also, there are No Frills locations around me which are the only places that make you put $1 for a cart.
The first time I saw the ad was when my wife (an avid Food Game Show Network fan) pointed out how annoying they are and how they come up on almost every break when she's watching any one of Chopped, Guy's Grocery Games, Beat Bobby Flay, Cutthroat Kitchen and the rest of them (I can't stand any of those shows). I'd never seen them on the channels I watch (mostly sports or news).

Most NF I've been to use quarters to release the carts (same as Aldi in the USA). However, most Asian supermarkets, T&T included, want loonies.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1376 posts
106 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:49 pm
Maybe it's just me, but I see TV ads as a 'frill'.
So much for the titular concept and keeping prices low.
Technically-speaking, their "No Name" Brand is a name of a brand in itself. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
762 posts
378 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:43 am
I personally like these commercials. They just opened up a Longo's near my house. It's nice, the bread is excellent, but the prices are no where near my family's budget. If anything it feels like NF is taking shots at stores like Longo's or Metro...

OP, as for your Chinese supermarket diatribe.... I'm asian by descent and am all to familiar with these supermarkets. They're amazing when they just open but after a few years they really start to run down. They should only have a shelf life of 5 years and start a new. I'm sure they can afford it. Should NF attack them... I guess they can... but these supermarkets offer things I usually can't get at NF. Prices are ok for the most part. But for in depth cultural ingredients, they're the go to place. You're spot on with the smells and the seafood/meat departments. But it's our go to for frozen/fresh short ribs and ox tail. I'm not going there for steaks... gross.
Since when was Metro high-end? I'd say Metro is a notch below Loblaws. If you're familiar with Buffalo, Loblaws tries to be Wegmans with some Trader Joe's and Whole Foods mixed in, so that's clearly upmarket, while Metro is more like Tops Friendly Markets, just middle of the road, something for everybody, not the cheapest nor the most expensive.

Again, you repeat what I've been saying. Why would a grocery store meant for cheapskates waste their time attacking the high end places? Totally different market. What next, Joe Fresh make fun of Holt Renfrew for clothes?

The closest equivalent I've seen of this are those Hyundai commercials where one of the "spies" is German. Those who can afford a European car won't be shopping Hyundai, and those ads won't change their minds on that. Just like those NF ads wont make me want to switch allegiances to them. If anything they were a complete turnoff and I will continue to give most of my grocery dollars to non-Loblaws stores. Asian markets, Farm Boy, Metro, Costco, and of course lots of cross border shopping.

Finally about the Asian markets and why they're cheap. We had one near us (since closed down) which reeked of rotten seafood ON OPENING DAY. Needless to say we didn't shop there much. The stink was unbearable the moment you entered, despite the seafood being at the back of the store. The newest ones have been hiding the seafood in a separately ventilated back room to try to prevent the smell from spreading throughout the whole building (almost like the old "separately ventilated smoking sections" in restaurants and bars, before the law switched to 100% smoke free).

Although common sense would indicate that NF should attack the Asian markets if they wanted to go after their real competition, everybody knows what would happen if they tried that... It would totally blow up on social media and news outlets with everybody calling for Westonette's head as some racist jerk (doesn't help that he's one of Canada's richest men, by inheritance.... white privilege at its absolute worst). So of course they'll go after the safe target - supermarket chains that white people tend to frequent. I'm sure you know from experience, the racial mix of the customers at Farm Boy (and Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods) is completely different from what you see at NF and Asian markets.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Oct 13th, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3765 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:57 am
Which supermarket chain spams your email box "constantly"?
I would say Sobeys when they teamed up with Jamie Oliver. I knew exactly what the guy was talking about.

IMO "Artisan charcuterie" is a jab at Metro who has the Artisan brand that extends into deli...Metro calls it charcuterie due to the French-Canadian portion of their business.

I think the general idea is No Frills carries all the PC brands, why pay more for them at a Loblaws if all you are getting is ambiance? The idea is that the quality is there but the decor is not.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2793 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 4:07 pm
Since when was Metro high-end? I'd say Metro is a notch below Loblaws. If you're familiar with Buffalo, Loblaws tries to be Wegmans with some Trader Joe's and Whole Foods mixed in, so that's clearly upmarket, while Metro is more like Tops Friendly Markets, just middle of the road, something for everybody, not the cheapest nor the most expensive.
Metro is in the same tier as Loblaws, Sobeys, etc. Metro is absolutely similar - if you’ve seen any of their more recently renovated stores like Park Lawn or Liberty Village you can see it pretty easily.

The high end brand for Loblaws companies is actually Fortino’s.

I used to train this during my brief stint at that company lol I’m very familiar with the segmentation of markets and brands for LCL.

It’s honestly like the Telco’s...

Sobeys = FreshCo
Metro = Food Basics
Loblaws = No Frills

Now I’m using the general examples in the Ontario market as I realize there are overlaps and reuse of brand names, slight differences depending on the geographic area - but this applies for the GTA.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare