Careers

laughing all the way to the bank 'careers'?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2015 7:30 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 30, 2008
909 posts
184 upvotes
ON
I've taken some courses to "unleash the potential power of our people" (paid for the office) and it was serious BS. It was an ongoing initiative of some sort so whoever behind it was making some amazing coin.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
stardustcross wrote: I've taken some courses to "unleash the potential power of our people" (paid for the office) and it was serious BS. It was an ongoing initiative of some sort so whoever behind it was making some amazing coin.
Oh ya, forgot about those motivational speakers... Exactly what are they successful for...? Just giving good speeches. Rarely are they successful in something 'real' and then decided to do motivational speeches.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1643 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: Those Buffer(sp?) announcers for boxing and MMA, lol, just yelling stuff and getting paid huge amts of $$$. Boy band members. Models. What else?
The top 1% of any job are most likely laughing all the way to the bank. For all the people we know, there's a bunch of announcers, boy band members, and models who failed and are struggling just to make a decent wage.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
Future303 wrote: The Simpsons taught me that was just a machine in there now :)

Right now a sweet plum job is anything having to do with green power technologies here in Ontario. The province (and country) just got carte blanche to greenify Canada at all costs. If I didn't enjoy my current work, I'd try to get into the IT side of things for those upcoming projects, cha ching!! $$$$$$$
haha. Some are still manned by someone. PErhaps they clean it or do other stuff while working there? Not sure... But my colleague worked @ a light house by Niagara falls. He aint old either.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1288 posts
324 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Gammatron wrote: Motorcycle mechanic. There's only 3 mechanic shops in the GTA compared to over 2,800 car mechanic shops. Only for them to see my motorcycle is a 7-10 day waiting period..and if they have to work on it I have to wait another 2 weeks. For sure they are making a killing.
I'm aware of your notoriety, but are sure there are only 3 motorcycle shops in all of GTA? We have at least 6 that I can think of off the top of my head in Halifax. Are you forgetting that each motorcycle dealership (Harley, Honda, etc) likely have their own shops too?

I'm gonna call BS.
Dec 7, 2006
466 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: Oh ya, forgot about those motivational speakers... Exactly what are they successful for...? Just giving good speeches. Rarely are they successful in something 'real' and then decided to do motivational speeches.
The ability to motivate others and giving good speeches are both very "real". Most people in the world can't do it. What exactly do you consider "real" anyways?
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
pchan83 wrote: The ability to motivate others and giving good speeches are both very "real". Most people in the world can't do it. What exactly do you consider "real" anyways?
You apparently don't see the pt...why should ppl listen to them? Just cuz they are good speakers, that's it. They didn't do anything of merit.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
Darryl wrote: I'm aware of your notoriety, but are sure there are only 3 motorcycle shops in all of GTA? We have at least 6 that I can think of off the top of my head in Halifax. Are you forgetting that each motorcycle dealership (Harley, Honda, etc) likely have their own shops too?

I'm gonna call BS.
A simple google search indicates many more than 3. So yeah I would say that it's BS.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
JAGpilot wrote: Consulting in many different specialties. Frequent travel, expense everything, and basically reading a book to tell someone what it says. Not all consultants are like that but I've heard many people likening it to someone giving you their watch and asking you to tell them the time.
You pretty much described it all :)
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Re consultants, didn't think that there would be such disdain for them. I have no idea, but to paint them w/ such a broad stroke?

If ppl want to get into real professions, I'd say HR. That's a ridiculous dept. Anyway, a bit OT.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
tranquility922 wrote: Re consultants, didn't think that there would be such disdain for them. I have no idea, but to paint them w/ such a broad stroke?
In certain cases, the employees themselves are smarter than the consultants, but are brushed off. It isn't until the "expert" consultant comes in to re-affirms what was said all along. While getting paid more in a week than the employee in an entire month. Outcome is bitter beta employees.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
1030 posts
247 upvotes
SRED claim consultant. Get a % of the tax credit you obtain for your clients. Such a niche field and you can bring in millions as a one man show and spend a few months each year somewhere warm.