Cell Phones

LAUNCH THREAD - iPhone Xs, XR and Xs Max - Announced Sept 12th, Pre-orders Sept 14th, Launches Sept 21st

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2018 2:55 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11178 posts
1332 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Like I said, apple sales are flat to declining. Apple will no longer divulge sales units for iphone, ipad, macs, etc. Instead they are upping prices to make up for revenue difference. SAD!

Hopefully iphone XS/XSmax will have a "discount" soon. at carrier level.

https://us.cnn.com/2018/11/02/tech/appl ... index.html
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17140 posts
1459 upvotes
Woodbridge
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:47 pm
Yeah... but doesnt the XS have the same LTE/wifi issues as XS Max?? Did the f/w 12.0.1 update solve that issue?? I heard peeps said on some fones it made no difference. *welp*
I don't know no issues with my XS.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7704 posts
605 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:48 pm
So that's $100/mos with zero down??
Looks like it but you gotta look at the cost you’re paying for the phone. The savings is there as you’re not paying full price for the xs once the 24 month term is up. It may be a lot more each month to pay but it doesn’t mean you’re paying more overall so I think it’s not a bad deal.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7704 posts
605 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:47 pm
Yeah... but doesnt the XS have the same LTE/wifi issues as XS Max?? Did the f/w 12.0.1 update solve that issue?? I heard peeps said on some fones it made no difference. *welp*
Fw 12.01 did not solve any issues with LTE. They fixed the WiFi issue though.

LTE is still crappier than the reception we got back in 1996 with the Nokia 5190 release lol
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11178 posts
1332 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
bobbings wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:58 pm
Fw 12.01 did not solve any issues with LTE. They fixed the WiFi issue though.

LTE is still crappier than the reception we got back in 1996 with the Nokia 5190 release lol
So what's the point of getting XS/XS max regardless of any great sale?? Like I said it's the baseband modem issue with the intel modem vs qualcomm. Might as well get the X or XR. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7704 posts
605 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 5:02 pm
So what's the point of getting XS/XS max regardless of any great sale?? Like I said it's the baseband modem issue with the intel modem vs qualcomm. Might as well get the X or XR. *welp*
My brotha, you and I agree it’s crap lol there’s no point buying the xs or xs max. And for 2000 dollars, we get a paperweight that half the time there’s no reception, it’s unacceptable and I’m glad their sales are down. The greatest feedback apple can get is in the sales figure.

I’m saying all this not as a hater as I have been using solely iPhones since the original back in 2007. iPhone 2g, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, xs max briefly and now XR.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7704 posts
605 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:56 pm
I don't know no issues with my XS.
No issues whatsoever? For the 5 maxes I used, they all had super weak reception indoors and average to good reception outdoors. I would randomly get no reception at all even though it shows there are reception bars and it’s on LTE. I have to restart the phone in order to get the connection back.

Areas where reception is generally weak, you can expect it to show “No Service.”
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17140 posts
1459 upvotes
Woodbridge
One time at work I turned off WiFi because it was weak and was watching NFL on break. I remember I got some sort of notification but I just ignored it.

Anyway, after my break I got back to the floor, I had no connection. I tried toggling Airplane mode which usually works but no luck so I was forced to shutdown and restart.

Since then it was all good. *knockonwood I still wonder what that notification was, it clearly caused a hiccup. I'll never know.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2714 posts
1457 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:55 pm
Like I said, apple sales are flat to declining. Apple will no longer divulge sales units for iphone, ipad, macs, etc. Instead they are upping prices to make up for revenue difference. SAD!

Apple may be a hardware company now but that's not their end game. They're transitioning into a service based company and selling services to it's large customer base.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Aug 11, 2018
21 posts
22 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:55 pm

They would have made more money had they priced the phones more reasonably.

Xr 699
Xs 799
Max 899
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17140 posts
1459 upvotes
Woodbridge
Some are probably getting tired of their BS with their storage options.

The XS at 128GB should be at $999, the XR at $799.

The Max is really a slap in the face, I mean besides a larger display & battery, it has no advantages over the XS. Lame. FFS they couldn't even offer a fourth color for the Max alone or even make the 512GB exclusive. $1,199 should be the starting price.

As you can see, the iPhone is roughly $400 overpriced.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2208 posts
263 upvotes
*updates

With the recent 12.1 updates, my xs is finally free from wifi issue. LTE connection seems to be improved as well.

Good job apple.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2714 posts
1457 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Anyone have their apple watch S4's screen scratched? I have these parallel lines scratches that you can feel. I had the same with S2 watches and I don't even bang or hit anything. Only thing i can think of is my dress shirt's sleeve might be scratching it. I also have the stainless steel version too. Might have to use Apple Care and get a screen protector for it but that's kinda dumb. I tried to take a photo but it doesn't capture well.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.