Cell Phones

LAUNCH THREAD - iPhone Xs, XR and Xs Max - Announced Sept 12th, Pre-orders Sept 14th, Launches Sept 21st

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2018 2:55 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7704 posts
605 upvotes
johnmoon wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 5:02 pm
*updates

With the recent 12.1 updates, my xs is finally free from wifi issue. LTE connection seems to be improved as well.

Good job apple.
Which area are you roughly in and can you state the before and after differences with LTE?
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 21, 2008
896 posts
616 upvotes
GTA
bembol wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 12:20 am
Some are probably getting tired of their BS with their storage options.

The XS at 128GB should be at $999, the XR at $799.

The Max is really a slap in the face, I mean besides a larger display & battery, it has no advantages over the XS. Lame. FFS they couldn't even offer a fourth color for the Max alone or even make the 512GB exclusive. $1,199 should be the starting price.

As you can see, the iPhone is roughly $400 overpriced.

I gave up with new iPhones after I couldn’t even buy an unused X for under $900 one year after its release shortly before the XS and MAX were released. I think I’m going to start buying 2-3 year old iPhones for a more reasonable price as the latest ones are just cash grabs for the most part. Are they satisfying to use? Im sure they are. Just out pricing a growing number of people including myself.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4428 posts
664 upvotes
Montreal
I just got the XR 64 GB in black which feels heavier and more premium than my S8 Plus. At least I haven't seen any wifi problems so far on iOS 12.1.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11178 posts
1332 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Slono wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 9:15 pm
I gave up with new iPhones after I couldn’t even buy an unused X for under $900 one year after its release shortly before the XS and MAX were released. I think I’m going to start buying 2-3 year old iPhones for a more reasonable price as the latest ones are just cash grabs for the most part. Are they satisfying to use? Im sure they are. Just out pricing a growing number of people including myself.
And this is why in some cases going on contract is cheaper than buying outright. Never buy the flagship unless you can afford it. Most peeps buy the 2 or 3 model in line keeping the upfront cost of a fone at $299 or less. For example the iphone X is pretty cheap on contract right now now. With loyalty pricing, credits, etc I could get the X for $0 down 256GB on a premium contract. That's hella cheaper than buying outright plus the same plan.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11178 posts
1332 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
johnmoon wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 5:02 pm
*updates

With the recent 12.1 updates, my xs is finally free from wifi issue. LTE connection seems to be improved as well.

Good job apple.
"Improved" is not the same as normal or "as expected". Many peeps still have LTE issues after the f/w upgrade. All apple's fault with their lame dispute with Qualcomm. The actual base band processor/chip which controls the LTE/wifi antennae is $72 usd manufacturing cost in a fone priced at $1099/$1199 usd. So apple is quibbling about what - 2 maybe 3 bucks extra with Qualcomm's "monopolistic" pricing... yet screwing all their customers with an inferior intel chip and losing money on poor QC declining sales on the xs/xs max.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2714 posts
1457 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Slono wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 9:15 pm
I love the high resale value, makes it feel worth it and peace of mind when you want to sell your phone, you're going to get top dollar as opposed to Android phones with resale value that drops like a rock. That's how I keep on upgrading anyways, sell last gen phone and only pay $300-400 to upgrade every year. Better than what some people pay on contract.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
5410 posts
1284 upvotes
GTA
bomber17 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 1:52 am
I love the high resale value, makes it feel worth it and peace of mind when you want to sell your phone, you're going to get top dollar as opposed to Android phones with resale value that drops like a rock. That's how I keep on upgrading anyways, sell last gen phone and only pay $300-400 to upgrade every year. Better than what some people pay on contract.
The trick with Android phones is to wait a couple of months after the launch. That’s when the carriers start discounting them, often quite heavily, and the year old model value hasn’t dropped that much. I’ve owned both and generally find Android yearly upgrade costs are slightly lower than iPhone if you time your purchases this way.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3176 posts
483 upvotes
Calgary
Yes, with most Android, give it a few months after release and you will find the prices will drop a lot.

With iPhone XR (Hong Kong dual sim), I seem to be noticing that it kinda uses more battery. I turned off one line and so far, I seem to be getting battery life. I will observe more, maybe it is just today that I am noticing.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17140 posts
1459 upvotes
Woodbridge
If Bell does have 3 months exclusive to the eSIM then others won't have it until 2019.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4429 posts
264 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 11:31 pm
If Bell does have 3 months exclusive to the eSIM then others won't have it until 2019.
Exclusive ESIM?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15738 posts
3123 upvotes
Toronto
casperr wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 6:00 pm
With iPhone XR (Hong Kong dual sim), I seem to be noticing that it kinda uses more battery. I turned off one line and so far, I seem to be getting battery life. I will observe more, maybe it is just today that I am noticing.
According to various reviews, the XR has the longest battery life out of the current iPhones, and that goes along with Apple’s claims too. Apple itself says the XR has the longest battery life.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11178 posts
1332 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
EugW wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 10:30 am
According to various reviews, the XR has the longest battery life out of the current iPhones, and that goes along with Apple’s claims too. Apple itself says the XR has the longest battery life.
Cmon now... a generalized statement. Everything apple stats are measured in laboratory conditions. Real life usage depends on many factors. So where is apple's stats when using a dual sim?? The poster may in fact be correct that dual sims with both lines activated lessens battery life. Just like ios 12 when installed in older model fones drains batteries faster but apple will never admit it. Reminds me of those energuide stickers for appliances... "Washer will last 10yrs" BS. In fine print that's washing a half load once a week for 10yrs. But if peeps wash 2-3 full loads a week like a normal fam all bets are off.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17140 posts
1459 upvotes
Woodbridge
Lovable wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 12:51 am
Exclusive ESIM?
It was listed here Bell has first dibs?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7704 posts
605 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 11:26 am
Cmon now... a generalized statement. Everything apple stats are measured in laboratory conditions. Real life usage depends on many factors. So where is apple's stats when using a dual sim?? The poster may in fact be correct that dual sims with both lines activated lessens battery life. Just like ios 12 when installed in older model fones drains batteries faster but apple will never admit it. Reminds me of those energuide stickers for appliances... "Washer will last 10yrs" BS. In fine print that's washing a half load once a week for 10yrs. But if peeps wash 2-3 full loads a week like a normal fam all bets are off.
I agree with you but this applies in many industries. Look at the gas consumption in cars or internet cable speeds they tout from the ISPs.

Anyways, my personal experience which may differ for other is that the XR battery life is noticeably better than any iPhones I’ve used in recent memory, including the XSM. Again, this is my own take on the battery life.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!