• Oct 4th, 2018 10:58 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
517 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Launching an app - what do I need to make it available in the US

Hello all,

Maybe someone can give their feedback regarding my questions.

I'm starting an app . Its a peer to peer service type app .. similar to Uber but not rideshare ( one party spends,. The other party earns )

Since I'm in Canada, easier for me to do that here .

If I was to start the same service in the US. What would I need.

My questions:

Would I need a local partner?

Would I need a US based bank account for transactions in between the peers. Locally I'll be using moneris as the gateway .

Taxation ?
Last edited by paf on Oct 3rd, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
517 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just a minor bump to see if anyone has any Input
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6131 posts
736 upvotes
Toronto
As far as US bank account is concerned, you can get a US banking account through RBC/BMO/etc... and it will function identically as a real US banking account.

Taxation wise, I have no idea.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
517 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto, ON
toalan wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 9:20 pm
As far as US bank account is concerned, you can get a US banking account through RBC/BMO/etc... and it will function identically as a real US banking account.

Taxation wise, I have no idea.
I thought about that but what if I need to send money to the users bank account in the US.. don't want to pay Transaction fees like $40
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4156 posts
486 upvotes
Ottawa
I suspect you won't find the expertise here and will have to check with an accountant.

My gut feeling is that because you are offering a service in Canada and the US (not just an app), you will likely need a US entity and a Canadian entity. If that's correct, you can certainly form a US corporation and don't need a US partner but it might be easier / cheaper to start with one. I'm not sure if you can do it individually in the US (it might be possible). You probably want to check with an accountant about the best way to setup this US corporation as well.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
517 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto, ON
michelb wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 8:25 am
I suspect you won't find the expertise here and will have to check with an accountant.

My gut feeling is that because you are offering a service in Canada and the US (not just an app), you will likely need a US entity and a Canadian entity. If that's correct, you can certainly form a US corporation and don't need a US partner but it might be easier / cheaper to start with one. I'm not sure if you can do it individually in the US (it might be possible). You probably want to check with an accountant about the best way to setup this US corporation as well.
Thank you
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1018 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
In terms of Banking, go TD. TD-USA will be able to link your USD account to your borderless account in Canada and you'll be able to transfer your funds between two countries by a single phone call from literally anywhere.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)