• Nov 17th, 2017 11:33 am
[OP]
Jul 16, 2013
30 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Laundry room on main floor slightly over electrical panel in basement

HI,

Looking to remodel and was thinking of having a plumber install a washer/dryer line in a closet that is about 2-3 feet to the right of the electrical panel that is in the basement. Sorry if this sounds confusing. Basically, below where the washer/dryer will go is the electrical panel. It's not directly under it...i'd say maybe 2-3 feet away.

Not sure about code or anything and so just wanted to ask around.

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
No code in regards to it, but a bad idea all around.
If that’s your only option then I would install a waterproof membrane and a floor drain
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Jul 16, 2013
30 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Can the floor drain be tied to the same drain line for the washer/dryer? Can you recommend a good drain pan? I've seeen some stainless steel ones with the plumbing hole at the back instead of the centre of the drain. Can't seem to find this anywhere in Canada though.

To be honest...the work already started and the contractor/plumber didn't mention anything about it being an issue...now i'm worried.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2719 posts
206 upvotes
velleso wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:14 pm
Can the floor drain be tied to the same drain line for the washer/dryer? Can you recommend a good drain pan? I've seeen some stainless steel ones with the plumbing hole at the back instead of the centre of the drain. Can't seem to find this anywhere in Canada though.

To be honest...the work already started and the contractor/plumber didn't mention anything about it being an issue...now i'm worried.
Yes it can, so long as the fixture unit load on the pipe is not exceeded and it is separately vented and primed.

As for waterproofing I would use Schluter with a curb
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Apr 8, 2010
455 posts
143 upvotes
toronto
and for another layer of safety, get a pan to put under your washing machine. It's actually not a bad idea for anyone that doesn't have a floor drain in their laundry room.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2581 posts
457 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
denti72 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 7:09 am
and for another layer of safety, get a pan to put under your washing machine. It's actually not a bad idea for anyone that doesn't have a floor drain in their laundry room.
Got just that from HD USA few years back for like $20
Sep 21, 2015
85 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Code only requires you to have 1m clearance in front of the electrical panel. Ie, for anyone working on the panel, they need ot have 1m space for access and any work.