• Feb 19th, 2019 8:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16347 posts
3422 upvotes
Toronto

Laundry sinks - Where and what to buy?

I have a cheap plastic laundry tub with an el-crappo faucet that came with the house. I want to buy something new. Where is best to buy?

How is this Costco one?

https://www.costco.ca/TRINITY-Stainless ... 59777.html

Unfortunately, it doesn't list a size, so I don't know how big it is.

It just lists some specs that aren't very meaningful to me.

Faucet included
NSF certified
16-gauge, 304 stainless steel
136.08 kg (300 lb.) total weight capacity

So, why does a laundry tub need NSF certification? Is it for commercial food preparation or something?

BTW, I have never done plumbing before. I figure it'd be easy enough to attach the water supply hoses. What about the drain? It appears the previous is installed with plastic pipes and the P-trap can be unscrewed. Is this a good place to start learning DIY?

EDIT:

Updated info:

Instruction manual: https://a.sellpoint.net/a/THA-0303-1+Ma ... AL.pdf.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 8.53.46 PM.png

Everything In Its Place.®
TRINITY's Stainless Steel Utility Sink is the ideal blend of quality, function, and value. This versatile sink is ideal for any kitchen, laundry, mudroom, or garage. NSF certified, this sink is perfect for any food-related business. The 16-gauge, 304 stainless steel sink accommodates a large variety of items that need a wash, and its durable construction ensures a long life in any environment.

304 Stainless Steel
Constructed from high quality 304 stainless steel, this sleek design looks great and will add a touch of style to your laundry room, mudroom, kitchen or backyard. With the stainless steel construction of the sink, faucet, backsplash, and legs ensures your sink is not only durable, but will have a long life in any environment.

Large Bowl for Large jobs
Built with a large 18 in. W x 16 in. D x 13 in. H (45.72 cm. W x 40.64 cm. D x 33.02 cm. H) sink bowl, this sink can tackle everything from laundry chores, garden cleanup, or cleaning up after working on your car. With rounded edges for safety, and a 300 lb total weight capacity, rest assured you'll be able to tackle the toughest of tasks with this sink.

18 in. W x 16 in. D x 13 in. H (45.72 cm. W x 40.64 cm. D x 33.02 cm. H) sink bowl
Rounded edges for safety
Made from 304 stainless steel

Form and Function.
(1) 304 stainless steel single handle faucet
Hoses are also included
Deep 13" sink bowl for large jobs
Tall 6" backsplash

Finishing Touches.
Stainless steel strainer
Stainless steel drain assembly
Ribbed ledge to hold accessories next to the faucet
Adjustable feet ensures stability
Assembled dimensions: 21.5 in. W x 24 in. D x 49.2 in. H (54.61 cm W x 60.96 cm D x 107.1 cm H)
Product weight: 37.4 lb
Last edited by EugW on Feb 13th, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16347 posts
3422 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:58 pm
More info here.

https://www.amazon.ca/TRINITY-Stainless ... B01IRS63SE

Check out the reviews on HomeDepot.com website.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/reviews/Tri ... wsRating=0
OK thanks. Looks like overall the reviews are positive, but it's hit and miss.

Tub is 18 long x 16 wide x 13 deep.
Needs to the bolted or else it moves around.

BTW, looking around at other sinks it seems many are 18 gauge, so 16 gauge is decent. Looking it up it seems that 16 gauge is often spec'd for a commercial sink.

EDIT:

Doesn't need to be bolted. There is a lip on the back so you can install something to catch the lip to hold it in place.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3762 posts
2897 upvotes
Toronto
I bought this one many years ago:

LINK

While the one you linked to looks nicer and probably better constructed, better quality steel, etc., this one is bigger (25" wide vs. 18" wide) and you can store stuff out of sight in the cabinet. You'll never regret getting a bigger laundry tub. The one you linked to is called a "utility" sink and I would even call it closer to a bar sink, while most laundry sinks are about 25" (although they also have 18" ones if you don't have the space).

Good choice with going with stainless steel. The plastic tubs stain easily and you end up replacing them every few years.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1594 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
Get a vintage cast iron laundry/utility sink on Kijiji. All depends on the style you're looking for but there's nothing like a solid cast iron sink.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16347 posts
3422 upvotes
Toronto
My existing one is 26” front to back 23” wide, with inner measurements of 20.5” and 21” respectively. It’s 12”’ deep.

I find that it is bigger than I need and sticks out a bit too far front to back in that small space it’s in.

According to Wayfair...

https://www.wayfair.ca/home-improvement ... html?piid=

It’s 18”x18” inside and 24” front to back x 21.5” wide overall. If so that’d probably work well for that space.

—-

I’m not keen on a used cast iron one, even in good condition, since they seem like they’d be more work to install.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5509 posts
2300 upvotes
Paris
Personally I like them deep but not very wide or long. That way if you are cleaning paint brushed in the bottom there is no splash, or if you need to soak something less water is needed to cover it but if you have a comforter or something you need to soak there is depth there to do so.

Mine has a little area on the back to store soap, things to dry or whatever with a drain into the main tub. It’s plastic and has served well.

Mom and dad have an old milk house double sink at the cottage for a laundry sink and it’s huge and amazing. Designed to be kicked by a cow. The sinks are cylinders cut in half so they are small at the bottom and expand fast fulfilling both my requirements. Overall it’s about 6 feet by 2 so not small.

Edit: found a pic. More reasonable than I thought for a new one at 625 us. Ours was salvaged when my uncle got a new one.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3150 posts
391 upvotes
Hamilton
We have a main floor laundry and replaced our stand alone laundry sink with a small counter top and installed a deep drop in sink.
Jan 7, 2013
384 posts
159 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
jm1 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:39 pm

LINK

While the one you linked to looks nicer and probably better constructed, better quality steel, etc., this one is bigger (25" wide vs. 18" wide) and you can store stuff out of sight in the cabinet. You'll never regret getting a bigger laundry tub. The one you linked to is called a "utility" sink and I would even call it closer to a bar sink, while most laundry sinks are about 25" (although they also have 18" ones if you don't have the space).

Good choice with going with stainless steel. The plastic tubs stain easily and you end up replacing them every few years.
I got this too from Rona two years ago. Good sink and faucet. Much easier to keep clean than the old plastic tub.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1227 posts
374 upvotes
London
I was thinking about installing a laundry tub in the basement for my son to rinse his scuba gear out. I'd need a pretty large one though. I thought about installing a cheap bathtub instead, but that seems like quite a bit more work as opposed to just a giant sink.

Thanks for reminding me look into this!
Sep 20, 2010
97 posts
18 upvotes
Hamilton
I just got this one from Costco for about $350 I think. Haven't had a chance to hook up the water lines yet. Sorry to hijack, but I have pex lines running hot and cold. Was thinking of getting a shark bite tee with shut off as that would probably be easiest.
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2851 posts
753 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:39 pm

LINK

We also got this one from Rona last year when they were having a crazy sale. So far it's been great, definitely prefer the stainless steel tub as well.
I think I saw this one at a Costco as well.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16347 posts
3422 upvotes
Toronto
kobe360 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 11:27 am
I just got this one from Costco for about $350 I think. Haven't had a chance to hook up the water lines yet. Sorry to hijack, but I have pex lines running hot and cold. Was thinking of getting a shark bite tee with shut off as that would probably be easiest.
That looks nice. I didn't see it on their website though. Did you get it in-store, and when did you get it? I don't recall seeing any laundry sinks in the Scarborough store in the last month, but then again I wasn't specifically looking for one. Did it come with that faucet?

I have already ordered the one in the original post from Costco. I had a look online at other shops like Lowes, Rona, Home Depot, and Amazon, and the Costco Trinity one seems to fit my needs the best. Hopefully it's not wobbly. However, if the one you got was available locally or online, I would have considered that one too, at least if it came with that faucet.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3208 posts
752 upvotes
Oshawa
It can't be as ugly as this one that I have.

We moved in in 2016 ... Still haven't changed it. Not really a priority. But will attempt to change it this year.

Obviously the previous owner never bothered to clean the damn tub. I tried to clean and remove the stains so that it doesn't look that ugly ... But to no avail.

Im more than likely going to get a standard laundry tub (white) ... Slightly deeper ... Maybe a little wider ... Wait for the sales to pop up at Home Hardware or Lowes or Home Depot or Rona.

Old school faucet would have to be changed as well.

IMG_20190213_130405.jpg
IMG_20190213_130429.jpg
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Sep 20, 2010
97 posts
18 upvotes
Hamilton
EugW wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 12:57 pm
That looks nice. I didn't see it on their website though. Did you get it in-store, and when did you get it? I don't recall seeing any laundry sinks in the Scarborough store in the last month, but then again I wasn't specifically looking for one. Did it come with that faucet?

I have already ordered the one in the original post from Costco. I had a look online at other shops like Lowes, Rona, Home Depot, and Amazon, and the Costco Trinity one seems to fit my needs the best. Hopefully it's not wobbly. However, if the one you got was available locally or online, I would have considered that one too, at least if it came with that faucet.
I got it in store. It doesn't show online. Yes, faucet was included and seems pretty solid.