Shopping Discussion

It Is Law That I Have To Tell CBSA Agents My Cellphone & Laptop Password?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2017 2:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13393 posts
1223 upvotes
Exactly, your phone is a portal to other places, not at the border. At what point in history were CBSA agents allowed to know your relationships with friends and family, your political views, your religious beliefs and your medical issues? They should be able to ensure people are not bringing anything dangerous across the border, but given that internal storage is not needed to keep files secure (you can keep them remotely) I don't see why they need to inspect the virtual contents of peoples electronic devices.

Someone could happily agree to unlock their AES encrypted device, and feign growing levels of frustration when their password didn't work. I mean, the stupid thing must be broken. I used to work in tech support, people forget their password all the time.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Mar 6, 2015
182 posts
79 upvotes
Quebec, QC
I think it would be reasonable to refuse passwords that allow them to access items that are not actually on your phone. My banking info, my facebook page, my emails are not actually on my phone. They can't search items that I left at home when I cross the border. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't arrest and charge you over the question.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4403 posts
568 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Mar 7th, 2015 8:06 am
You realize that this news story is already being discussed for a page or two now.
No, i have other things to do.

Plus i have a law degree and i don't want to soil my brain with all the non-sense discussed here.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
396 upvotes
GT&A
Shaner wrote:
Mar 7th, 2015 1:09 pm
The laws are outdated. Before smart phones were invented, CBSA officers had no right to search your e-mails and banking. Suddenly just because my phone is tied to that stuff, they have the right to search it? I'm not carrying my e-mails or bank statements over the border with me, those things are secured on a server elsewhere, and I see no reason why CBSA should have unrestricted access to that stuff. The idea behind these laws was to prevent the smuggling of goods through the border. The laws haven't been updated to reflect smart phones, and it's about time it happened.

Sadly, I doubt much will change, even if the SCC does hear the case. The whole thing is nothing but a fishing expedition by CBSA officers
Syne wrote:
Mar 7th, 2015 2:41 pm
Exactly, your phone is a portal to other places, not at the border. At what point in history were CBSA agents allowed to know your relationships with friends and family, your political views, your religious beliefs and your medical issues? They should be able to ensure people are not bringing anything dangerous across the border, but given that internal storage is not needed to keep files secure (you can keep them remotely) I don't see why they need to inspect the virtual contents of peoples electronic devices.

good points.

+1
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Banned
Apr 9, 2016
208 posts
9 upvotes
its the wild wild west when it comes to the CBSA. They can do anything they want, and if you protest get ready for a cavity search and further harassment and intimidation from them. Plus notes will be put on your file and shared with US border guys.

So expect bullying, intimidation and harassment each and every time you cross the border both ways.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2533 posts
1133 upvotes
Calgaryish
Smither wrote:
Nov 20th, 2014 10:37 pm
Not long ago I went to pick up my online purchases. I crossed the the border coming back to Canada.
1. Why take a laptop across the border if you don't have to? When I cross to pick up packages, I'm rarely in the US for long than 30 minutes. If you're away for a couple of days, consider getting a Chromebook. Chances are the border agent will be unfamiliar with the OS and because it is cloud based and requires a network connection, they most likely will only give it a cursory look.

2. Buy a Nokia 102 feature phone for $30 on eBay and carry it when you cross the border. You'll be able to call and text... and that's about it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6977 posts
967 upvotes
tangerinebarbiegirl wrote:
Apr 14th, 2016 9:21 am
its the wild wild west when it comes to the CBSA. They can do anything they want, and if you protest get ready for a cavity search and further harassment and intimidation from them. Plus notes will be put on your file and shared with US border guys.

So expect bullying, intimidation and harassment each and every time you cross the border both ways.
Why did you add your 2 cents you a discussion from a year ago?

Furthermore, why are you bumping CBSA related threads? If you want to vent, start your own!
cbsa-female-officer-sexually-touches-ma ... st25695661
why-pearson-immigration-agents-so-mean- ... st25695427
woman-threatened-cbsa-not-able-speak-en ... st25695127
need-help-seizure-incident-happened-112 ... st25695005

Your wasting everyone's time :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1769 posts
408 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Oh look another resurrected thread about the CBSA by tangerinebarbiegirl
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2015
1212 posts
421 upvotes
North York, ON
To save your time, just give up your password. It is best for both, I believe. If you don't do anything illegal.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2394 posts
974 upvotes
JKKim2983 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2016 12:01 pm
Oh look another resurrected thread about the CBSA by tangerinebarbiegirl
I think this tangerinebarbiegirl needs a hobby other then bashing cbsa.
Feb 1, 2015
687 posts
312 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I can't believe some of the absolute moronic things I'm reading here. YOU SHOULDNT BE SCARED IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE. These people are protecting our country. If you don't like it don't cross the border? Give them a hard time you deserve a hard time, period. I've crossed the border three per month for the past five years, and have been searched once. Laptop and phone, took most of five minutes, no arguments; told me to have a good day and I was on my way. Some of the people on here are really something else
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
ironmen77 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 1:46 am
I can't believe some of the absolute moronic things I'm reading here. YOU SHOULDNT BE SCARED IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE. These people are protecting our country. If you don't like it don't cross the border? Give them a hard time you deserve a hard time, period. I've crossed the border three per month for the past five years, and have been searched once. Laptop and phone, took most of five minutes, no arguments; told me to have a good day and I was on my way. Some of the people on here are really something else
If it took 5 minutes, you didn't have your laptop and camera searched. They install software on your laptop to speed up the search but it still takes time. Do some people really think that their personal experiences at the border are exactly the same as everyone else?
Banned
Apr 9, 2016
208 posts
9 upvotes
ironmen77 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 1:46 am
They are collecting taxes 99 % of the time, not protecting the country.

No one gives them a hard time, its almost always the other way round.
Banned
Apr 9, 2016
208 posts
9 upvotes
Momof3cuties wrote:
Apr 14th, 2016 6:35 pm
I think this tangerinebarbiegirl needs a hobby other then bashing cbsa.
CBSA officers need a better hobby than harassing, threatening, abusing and cavity searching innocent travellers.