Shopping Discussion

It Is Law That I Have To Tell CBSA Agents My Cellphone & Laptop Password?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2017 2:15 am
Tags:
None
Dec 9, 2005
999 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
tangerinebarbiegirl wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 7:21 am
They are collecting taxes 99 % of the time, not protecting the country.

No one gives them a hard time, its almost always the other way round.
They are protecting the country from illegal workers, contraband, people seeking to reside here illegally among other things. It is a necessary service, and for the most part they are very good at it. Some people give them a hard time but really I think it's the percentage of people lying to them that causes problems. People think they won't find the meat or they won't know how much something cost. They aren't that stupid and they have a lot of tools at their disposal to do their job. I respect the work they do, but I could do without the attitude from some of them.
Feb 1, 2015
679 posts
311 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Apr 15th, 2016 7:23 am
CBSA officers need a better hobby than harassing, threatening, abusing and cavity searching innocent travellers.
No you honestly need a life. Something tells me you're one of those people that goes to a restaurant and looks for something to complain about to get a free meal. Get a life
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
3618 posts
1194 upvotes
Toronto
Apr 15th, 2016 8:03 am
Canada Border Services Agency Feedback Form : ( File a complaint against a CBSA officer here )

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/feed ... n-eng.html
Thank you... now please, stop bumping old threads about the same friggin' issue
If you have a complaint about CBSA, use the feedback form on the link shown above
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Mar 19, 2011
972 posts
274 upvotes
Hamilton
Apr 15th, 2016 7:21 am
They are collecting taxes 99 % of the time, not protecting the country.

No one gives them a hard time, its almost always the other way round.
Have you even watched the CBSA and similar shows on Cable these days? It's more like 99% of people are lying to them like they are idiots. I can't believe their composure at times. I want to reach through the screen and slap people declaring they don't have any goods only to find a suit case full of frozen chicken and cigarettes.
Oct 13, 2014
822 posts
307 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
alpha2omega wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 10:21 am
I want to reach through the screen and slap people declaring they don't have any goods only to find a suit case full of frozen chicken and cigarettes.

MMMM, smoked chicken....Oops - wrong kind of smoke. :lol:
Mar 19, 2011
972 posts
274 upvotes
Hamilton
rcmpvet wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 11:02 am
MMMM, smoked chicken....Oops - wrong kind of smoke. :lol:
Oddly enough, I think it was smoked chicken or pork I saw someone with on Border Security.
Agent - "This pork, you can't import pork. When I asked if you had any meat you said no, only tofu"
Smuggler- "Yah, no meat,tofu"
Agent- "Mam, it says right here on the package "Pork"
Smuggler- "Yah, like tofu"

There was one with an American retired Army officer carrying an automatic pistol. He didn't declare it because he thought his conceal carry permit was valid in Canada. There doesn't seem to be a limit to the stupidity CBSA agents deal with on a daily basis. Anyone having problems crossing the border should watch it. It's pretty easy to cross; answer their questions honestly and don't bring anything incriminating with you.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2439 posts
983 upvotes
Calgaryish
alpha2omega wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 11:41 am
It's pretty easy to cross; answer their questions honestly and don't bring anything incriminating with you.
The only time I've been received a secondary inspection was when traveling with an old high school friend who neglected to tell me that he'd been caught under-declaring merchandise the year before. We ended up standing against a brick wall watching a couple of CBSA officers look through everything in his van. And then we were invited inside for interviews. I can't say I enjoyed turning out my pockets and watching the interviewer go through my wallet.

I will say, though, that the interview was polite and professional. Of course, it helped that I had absolutely nothing to hide.

In the end, one of the CBSA officers found a price guide in my friend's bag and looked up the price of the item he had bought. Luckily, it was accurate and reinforced that he wasn't undervaluing it (side note: don't pay cash and try to cross the border with a hand-written receipt for something fairly expensive.)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2297 posts
863 upvotes
Umm it's actually their job not a hobby. Lmfao.

You have issues. How many threads are you going to keep bumping. And then claim a mod is herassing you? That's funny.

We should start taking bets on how quickly this Barbie person gets banned.
Banned
Apr 9, 2016
208 posts
9 upvotes
alpha2omega wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 10:21 am
Have you even watched the CBSA and similar shows on Cable these days? It's more like 99% of people are lying to them like they are idiots. I can't believe their composure at times. I want to reach through the screen and slap people declaring they don't have any goods only to find a suit case full of frozen chicken and cigarettes.
That's bcoz they are being recorded..LOL. Do you honestly think they behave the same way, when the cameras are NOT on them ? Did you expect them to embarrass themselves on National TV ? Its just a show they put on for the cameras, plus most of the show is staged, only some is real.

Did you know you are NOT even allowed to audio or video record CBSA ? Not talking about TV shows ( which take special permission ), but individual travellers.

You are legally allowed to record cops and RCMP , but NOT CBSA officers. ALL border crossings and airports and even the CBSA building has signs that you CAN'T record them, so basically its your word against theirs. When cops are abusing you, you can at least legally record them ( not that they allow you and take kindly to it ), but with CBSA its against the law to even record them.

Cops need a search warrant to go through your camera, CBSA no such thing.
Mar 19, 2011
972 posts
274 upvotes
Hamilton
retrothing wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 12:00 pm
The only time I've been received a secondary inspection was when traveling with an old high school friend who neglected to tell me that he'd been caught under-declaring merchandise the year before.
Of the 100's of times I've crossed I've been in secondary three times. Once on the Canadian side during a "zero hour" where they pull everyone over. The other was in Detroit where I made the mistake of saying I was going over "for work". I was going to a meeting as part of my work, not to do work. Don't say "trigger" words like "work" and don't wear anything that might obscure your identity (a hat and sunglasses are a bad idea)
The last time was when I moved from BC to Ontario and took the US way. A car full of stuff packed to the roof will also get you pulled over.

They have to process 100's of people at most border crossings and they have very little to go on. Getting caught omitting, forgetting or lying seems to be the biggest redflag. This is followed closely by not being cooperative. You may have the "right" but escalating things is in the end futile. You might not be "obligated" as some people were saying, but you can be forced to comply.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2439 posts
983 upvotes
Calgaryish
Apr 15th, 2016 1:07 pm
You are free to stay in the country and avoid border interviews. The CBSA is tasked with protecting the border, and in that role they have the power to search and detain you as required.

People keep telling you this, but if you have a complaint with the CBSA, file it with government. In the meantime, perhaps find us some shopping deals. :D
Mar 19, 2011
972 posts
274 upvotes
Hamilton
Apr 15th, 2016 1:07 pm
Yep, because you don't have the "right" to cross a border. You have the freedom to choose whether or not you wish to give up your rights and abide by the rules in order to have the privilege of traveling outside the country.

I didn't know you weren't allowed to film them, but it makes sense. You're choosing to enter an area and have to respect the rules as they have been established. Seems a little outdated but I do believe the agents are in a position that should afford them some anonymity. As well os the other travelers. I really would prefer not to have film of me crossing the border put on YouTube without my permission.

And of course, unlike how the police operate, almost the entire border crossing is being filmed.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2439 posts
983 upvotes
Calgaryish
alpha2omega wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 1:30 pm
Yep, because you don't have the "right" to cross a border.
Actually, as a Canadian citizen you most certainly have the right to cross the border into Canada by air, sea or land. You do not have the right to refuse a search of your belongings or person.

The grey area around technology is that while the CBSA may have the right to search the hard drive on your computer, they may be overstepping things if they request a password and then access an email or cloud file server in another country that is linked to your account.
Mar 19, 2011
972 posts
274 upvotes
Hamilton
retrothing wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 1:35 pm
Actually, as a Canadian citizen you most certainly have the right to cross the border into Canada by air, sea or land.
I was more speaking to going out than in, but are you sure about that? I was under the impression they couldn't deny you entry as a citizen but I've heard otherwise since then.

I'm wondering because what's stopping anyone from saying they are a citizen and trying to enter the country? If they have the "right" CBSA shouldn't be able to stop them, even if they don't have ID.

My simple understanding of the border has always been it's like an exclusion zone, or limbo where you don't exist as a person because you don't belong anywhere. Once you get past then you're either a visitor or resident.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1141 posts
430 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
ironmen77 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2016 9:56 am
No you honestly need a life. Something tells me you're one of those people that goes to a restaurant and looks for something to complain about to get a free meal. Get a life
My thought was she's probably one of those people who record themselves baiting cops (like this guy) ... then I scroll down and her next post is complaining about how you can't record CBSA. Hmm.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel