• Jul 4th, 2012 10:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 19, 2007
750 posts
103 upvotes

Is law school worth it?

I'm currently preparing for the October LSAT and hope to enter law school by 2013.

The more I talk to people about law school, the more I hear how difficult it is to land a job. I have an undergraduate BBA degree and hope to compliment it with a JD. For me, money isn't the issue. I want to get as much education out of the way before I grow old and become to committed to a job or relationship.

I wish to attend law school for a couple of reasons. First, I definitely like school. If I could live the rest of my life learning, I would. Second, a law degree looks like it can open up many doors. There are many paths you can undertake once you complete the bar, and it doesn't have to be in the legal field. Lastly, the permanence of the license. Once you own it, you can will be able to practice law until the day you die (unless you get disbarred). There will always be a need for legal work, and even though there is a large influx of JD grads, works will always be available.

On the topic of law schools, how important is it that you study at a tier 1 or tier 2 school?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1789 posts
241 upvotes
GTA
They go nicely together. So, yes, its worth the investment. It would also open up more doors for yourself as you progress in your career.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4867 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Well, I think you have the right idea about law school and a law degree which is pretty important. As long as you aren't expecting a J.D. to be a guaranteed doorway to a $100k+ job immediately after graduation, your reasons sound pretty logical to me for attending law school.

There are no tier 1 or tier 2 law schools in Canada. There are some law schools that are better than others (i.e. UofT is considered the premier law school in Canada) but none of them are really leap and bounds superior to each other. I would pretty much consider any Canadian law school to fall into the T14 ranking in the states (with UofT around the ranking of CCN). It is definitely nothing like the Tier 2/3/4 law schools in America though.

Regionally plays a big role in employment prospectives, from what I gathered, and I think you should aim to attend a law school in the area you eventually want to practice. I know Ontario and a few provinces has a few law schools and I think for that you should narrow your selection down based on what you are looking to specialize in (i.e. UofT for corporate law).

Personally, I have decided to attend UofC if I am still going to pursue law school. UofC is sigificantly less expensive than UofT/Oz, Calgary's COL is more reasonable than that of Toronto, they have a growing economic sector, and their legal market is the 2nd largest in Canada (and continuing to grow). There will also be relatively less competition for the big law firms in Calgary than in Toronto. A degree from UofC may lack the prestige of UofT/Oz but I don't really care about any of that, I am more concerned with minimizing my debt load and maximizing the probabilities of getting into big law and/or a well paying job.

Good luck on the LSAT, I would recommend you start prepping for the LSAT like there is no tomorrow. I just wrote the one in June and there were some odd changes that threw me off guard (i.e. you get 1 WHOLE PAGE for each LG, completely bonkers, and LR section had some odd question stems). I definitely performed much better than I did before though, hopefully good enough for most law schools outside of UofT.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1789 posts
241 upvotes
GTA
Asad_A203 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2012 2:25 am
Well, I think you have the right idea about law school and a law degree which is pretty important. As long as you aren't expecting a J.D. to be a guaranteed doorway to a $100k+ job immediately after graduation, your reasons sound pretty logical to me for attending law school.

There are no tier 1 or tier 2 law schools in Canada. There are some law schools that are better than others (i.e. UofT is considered the premier law school in Canada) but none of them are really leap and bounds superior to each other. I would pretty much consider any Canadian law school to fall into the T14 ranking in the states (with UofT around the ranking of CCN). It is definitely nothing like the Tier 2/3/4 law schools in America though.

Regionally plays a big role in employment prospectives, from what I gathered, and I think you should aim to attend a law school in the area you eventually want to practice. I know Ontario and a few provinces has a few law schools and I think for that you should narrow your selection down based on what you are looking to specialize in (i.e. UofT for corporate law).

Personally, I have decided to attend UofC if I am still going to pursue law school. UofC is sigificantly less expensive than UofT/Oz, Calgary's COL is more reasonable than that of Toronto, they have a growing economic sector, and their legal market is the 2nd largest in Canada (and continuing to grow). There will also be relatively less competition for the big law firms in Calgary than in Toronto. A degree from UofC may lack the prestige of UofT/Oz but I don't really care about any of that, I am more concerned with minimizing my debt load and maximizing the probabilities of getting into big law and/or a well paying job.

Good luck on the LSAT, I would recommend you start prepping for the LSAT like there is no tomorrow. I just wrote the one in June and there were some odd changes that threw me off guard (i.e. you get 1 WHOLE PAGE for each LG, completely bonkers, and LR section had some odd question stems). I definitely performed much better than I did before though, hopefully good enough for most law schools outside of UofT.

No, it depends on the area of law. I would rather go to York's Osgoode law school. I've heard many great things about that school. Osgoode has been around for a very long time.
Generally, students with business undergrad degrees go to Osgoode which is what my cousin is doing currently and he loves it there.
I've heard that you can get a joint J.D/ MBA (schulich) at the same time which is great. As well as a J.D/MES (masters in environmental studies) which is another great mix. In terms of reputation, its up there i would say.
So, yes, theres great potential interms of earnings and the opening of doors for your in the future after law school :)
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2008
1255 posts
41 upvotes
I know a guy who graduated from Osgoode 4-5 years ago and now runs two convenience stores. He said he couldn't stand working as a clerk all the time loaded with bs cases. Not an easy field to get into.
Dec 28, 2010
263 posts
25 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2012 2:25 am
I would pretty much consider any Canadian law school to fall into the T14 ranking in the states (with UofT around the ranking of CCN).
IMO

T1/Top 50 in terms of admissions

and T20 in terms of job prospects

whole different issue:

Canadian law students have an inflated sense of worth relative to their American counterparts, save T14ers. The only reason why Canadian law students are doing so well is because there aren't many law schools and therefore law students. If it was anything like the U.S., where it's mostly T14 or bust, most Canadian law students with their 3.7/160 would probably bite the dust (me definitely included).
mysticalinfluence wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2012 5:52 pm
Brah do you make 100K year too and wear Canada Goose? You might not be fat but your fattest douche bag on RFD.
kenchau66 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2012 5:56 pm
you mean "you're"
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
595 posts
23 upvotes
TORONTO
To be fair you should do MBA/ACCA/CA/ICMA after completing BBA. You can build bright carrer in Business sector.
May 11, 2009
428 posts
84 upvotes
What about an engineering degree + law? Patent lawyer maybe? I've been thinking a lot lately if Engineering or law is really what I want to do. Any J.D.-PEng's?
× < >