• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 5:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 9, 2008
381 posts
38 upvotes

Lawn Mower

Looking for recommendations on a gas powered lawn mower. Self propelled would be nice but not an absolute necessity. I found this one at Canadian Tire with a Honda engine but it is a Yardworks brand. I currently have a 10 year old Yardworks mower and the thing just feels cheap.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yardw ... 1670p.html

Is this a decent mower for $400? Any other recommendations?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2980 posts
822 upvotes
Paris
Troy bilt and yardworks both MTD.

I'd go echo cordless. That thing is amazing.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7919 posts
1974 upvotes
Brampton
"feels cheap" How do you want it to feel?
If you mean it feels light. Hell I'll take a light weight powerful mower for most lawns over a heavy self propelled. Unless you got a corner lot or something.
That's why I miss the old lawn boys. Lightweight and the motors would last forever.

The problem I have with most self propelled are they're heavy and harder to maneuver.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12153 posts
1940 upvotes
London
tebore wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 11:00 am
The problem I have with most self propelled are they're heavy and harder to maneuver.
+1, avoid self propelled unless you really needed it.

Its designed for long straight runs where there aren't obstacles to maneuver around.

My buddy has a 60ft wide lot and the self propelled feature runs only 15 steps (45ft) per pass, so he's not saving a lot of effort
Oct 16, 2007
717 posts
11 upvotes
Is AWD or FWD better for a lawnmower?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5722 posts
171 upvotes
GTA
mt99808 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 3:12 pm
Looking for recommendations on a gas powered lawn mower. Self propelled would be nice but not an absolute necessity. I found this one at Canadian Tire with a Honda engine but it is a Yardworks brand. I currently have a 10 year old Yardworks mower and the thing just feels cheap.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yardw ... 1670p.html

Is this a decent mower for $400? Any other recommendations?
Pay the extra and get yourself a honda self propelled mower from Honda. I've had my Honda mower and snow blower for approx 20+ years with absolutely no issues.... My mower cuts my grass nice and even and i never have to bag it as it mulches the grass perfectly!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2980 posts
822 upvotes
Paris
mds122 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 11:35 am
Here is Craftsman push mower with a Honda engine for under $400. https://www.sears.ca/en/gas-mowers/21-3 ... gas_mowers

Would it be better than the Yardworks with a Honda engine?
At one time MTD made both. Not sure about these days...
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4659 posts
846 upvotes
Markham
l69norm wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 7:20 am
+1, avoid self propelled unless you really needed it.

Its designed for long straight runs where there aren't obstacles to maneuver around.

My buddy has a 60ft wide lot and the self propelled feature runs only 15 steps (45ft) per pass, so he's not saving a lot of effort
Does it stop after it counts 15 steps? I have a self propelled and it just keeps going.

If I were OP, I'd get the self propelled....pushing the thing is a pain in the behind.
With self-propelled, I just walk and it goes until I tell it to stop at which time I turn it to a new direction with little to no effort other than guiding direction.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12153 posts
1940 upvotes
London
gr8dlr wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 3:55 pm
Does it stop after it counts 15 steps? I have a self propelled and it just keeps going. .
The lot is 60 ft wide,
You need about 7-8 ft at each end to spin around for the next pass (self propelled disengaged).
That mean the self propel can only be engaged 45 ft at a time (per pass)
3 ft per step = 15 steps
Feb 25, 2015
232 posts
42 upvotes
ON
l69norm wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 10:17 pm
The lot is 60 ft wide,
You need about 7-8 ft at each end to spin around for the next pass (self propelled disengaged).
That mean the self propel can only be engaged 45 ft at a time (per pass)
3 ft per step = 15 steps
7-8 ft to spin around!! Are you talking about a lawnmower or lawn tractor?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12153 posts
1940 upvotes
London
Invalid12 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 2:07 am
7-8 ft to spin around!! Are you talking about a lawnmower or lawn tractor?

The limits are that :
a) there are fences at the sides of most lots (or you can't run the mower onto your neighbor's lawn)
b) you need to be lined up on your own lawn for the next pass
c) you are a least 1 step behind the front edge of the mower (mower length +handle+partially extended arms) = 3-5ft

I make 3 passes on the along each fence to give me buffer space room to spin. Each pass is approx 20" (on a 22" mower) = 60" or a 5ft buffer on along each fence
Now start making your regular passes along the 60 ft lot length
You have to release the self propel as the mower as the crosses into your buffer zone, however you are at least 1 step behind the mover (3 ft)

That means the self propel has to be released about 8 ft from each fence,
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4659 posts
846 upvotes
Markham
l69norm wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 6:13 am
The limits are that :
a) there are fences at the sides of most lots (or you can't run the mower onto your neighbor's lawn)
b) you need to be lined up on your own lawn for the next pass
c) you are a least 1 step behind the front edge of the mower (mower length +handle+partially extended arms) = 3-5ft

I make 3 passes on the along each fence to give me buffer space room to spin. Each pass is approx 20" (on a 22" mower) = 60" or a 5ft buffer on along each fence
Now start making your regular passes along the 60 ft lot length
You have to release the self propel as the mower as the crosses into your buffer zone, however you are at least 1 step behind the mover (3 ft)

That means the self propel has to be released about 8 ft from each fence,
I have no comprehension of what you're saying.
All self propel does is self propel, it's no different than a regular mower other than I don't have to push it.
I engage self propel, it goes. I release it and it becomes a push mower with no propulsion. I turn the mower around (push it down and rotate on rear wheels) and I repeat.
I engage self propel, it goes. I release it and it becomes a push mower with no propulsion. I turn the mower around (push it down and rotate on rear wheels) and I repeat.Until I'm finished.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!