• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2010 7:19 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 11, 2007
16 posts
Toronto

Lawnmower: Can't PULL Cord when Sparkplug IN

I own a Craftsman mulching lawnmower. It was fine last fall and placed in storage, though it was tilted forward on its front two wheels all winter causing a messy oil spill on the garage floor.

I've added gas, topped up the oil, cleaned the spark plug of oil, held down the safety bar and pulled the cord. No go. The pull cord is stuck. Once I remove the spark plug then try the pull cord NOW it moves properly. The problem seems related to the spark plug or some kind of pressure within the system?

How do i get my lawnmower back to operational status?

Thanks
4 replies
Dec 5, 2007
543 posts
1 upvote
NB
Spray a liberal amount of carburetor cleaner into the spark plug hole and pull the starter cord 5-10 times (with the plug removed). Spray the carb cleaner on the spark plug and reinstall. The mower should fire right up after.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
I think the cylinder is filled with oil, either from being tilted all winter as you mention, or if you filled the cylinder with oil for winter storage. Tip it over and get the oil out of that cylinder and you should be fine. You can also remove the sparkplug and pull start it a few times at full strength and see if any oil squirts out the spark plug hole.

Make sure you still have enough engine oil in it though when you go to actually run it..
Aug 11, 2007
16 posts
Toronto
stealth wrote: I think the cylinder is filled with oil, either from being tilted all winter as you mention, or if you filled the cylinder with oil for winter storage. Tip it over and get the oil out of that cylinder and you should be fine. You can also remove the sparkplug and pull start it a few times at full strength and see if any oil squirts out the spark plug hole.

Make sure you still have enough engine oil in it though when you go to actually run it..
That was it. The lawnmower is working fine.

Thank you all!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)