Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
230 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Laws on Photographing People in Public Areas / Private Businesses

What are the laws in various countries? i assume it is legal b/c of the papparazi shots?
Share:
14 replies
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
528 upvotes
i guess if the person you take pictures of does not beat or kill you then it is ok. :facepalm:
Apr 28, 2010
187 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
Unless teh cops are arresting someone, just mind your own business ;)
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1714 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
greatdealers wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2011 8:18 pm
What are the laws in various countries? i assume it is legal b/c of the papparazi shots?
greatdealers wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2011 8:27 pm
so can i be confident taking pics of ppl in public places because it is a right/freedom? or do i have to run away quickly if they don't like it?

You should ASK FOR PERMISSION if it's a regular person. Papparazzi are different because they are taking photos of what are considered to be "public people"/"celebrities" - people who often actually WANT the publicity, even if they pretend they don't. You should definitely not go around taking photos of children, btw, whether public or celebrity-related, without first getting their parents' permission.

If you feel the need to run away, DON'T take the photo.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5299 posts
910 upvotes
???
You can take photos of people unless you publish it for profit.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
1527 posts
Ottawa
vaportech wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2011 10:10 pm
You can take photos of people unless you publish it for profit.

The above, though I am not sure about the profit part. You need permission if you are going to publish. Plus it is legal if the person(s) in the photo are photographed in such a way that they are not reasonably identifiable (like in a crowd).
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3033 posts
119 upvotes
You can take pictures of people on public property only when there is no expectation of privacy (people can expect privacy in washrooms, change-rooms, stalls etc).
You can't use it for profit (website ad revenue counts) without explicit writen consent.

On private property (pretty sure TTC counts) the owner makes the rules I believe.

http://ambientlight.ca/laws/

For common courtesy's sake you should ask for permission (before or after), and due to recent history I'd recommend not photographing children you don't know.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1714 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
ronin893 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2011 5:15 pm
The above, though I am not sure about the profit part. You need permission if you are going to publish. Plus it is legal if the person(s) in the photo are photographed in such a way that they are not reasonably identifiable (like in a crowd).

Yeah, crowds are okay. But I think the OP wants to stick his camera right in somebody's face, which would be pushing it.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
528 upvotes
5dark wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2011 10:21 pm
You can take pictures of people on public property only when there is no expectation of privacy (people can expect privacy in washrooms, change-rooms, stalls etc).
You can't use it for profit (website ad revenue counts) without explicit writen consent.

On private property (pretty sure TTC counts) the owner makes the rules I believe.

http://ambientlight.ca/laws/

For common courtesy's sake you should ask for permission (before or after), and due to recent history I'd recommend not photographing children you don't know.

well i asked permission from the a child's grandfather and after taking a serious of photos his grandfather asked me to take a look at them, then he showed his grandchild and we all laughed. So this is legal? Correct? So by entering this picture in a contest means I am publishing it since there could be money won?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5299 posts
910 upvotes
???
packardbell wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2011 6:26 pm
well i asked permission from the a child's grandfather and after taking a serious of photos his grandfather asked me to take a look at them, then he showed his grandchild and we all laughed. So this is legal? Correct? So by entering this picture in a contest means I am publishing it since there could be money won?

If you're taking pictures of children, always ask the immediate guardian of it's ok or not first, also if you are using it for this purpose, inform them of it.

Usually people will say OK if you don't look like a creep.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
528 upvotes
vaportech wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2011 6:29 pm
If you're taking pictures of children, always ask the immediate guardian of it's ok or not first, also if you are using it for this purpose, inform them of it.

Usually people will say OK if you don't look like a creep.

There was a few pics where I asked the mother permission and then she asked me to send her a copy of the picture as well. All the parents in China that I have asked don't mind me taking pictures. It was just the bank teller where I was exchanging canadian dollars to rmb that I found amusing and wanted film, she immediately told me it was forbidden so I stopped. :lol:
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
When I was in Central Park, NYC, I was going to take a pic of gritty looking saxophone player busker. But he got pretty mad at me when I pointed my camera at him, so I changed my mind :lol:
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5299 posts
910 upvotes
???
stealth wrote:
Mar 4th, 2011 12:25 am
When I was in Central Park, NYC, I was going to take a pic of gritty looking saxophone player busker. But he got pretty mad at me when I pointed my camera at him, so I changed my mind :lol:

lol public area lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3033 posts
119 upvotes
packardbell wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2011 11:26 pm

The picture taking itself is legal (if a in public place), the permission is a courtesy, the no-kids was a recommendation.

Sounds like the grandad was fine with the photos so no harm. A contest should have it's own rules, I wouldn't be surprised if it required you to have the subject (or guardian)'s consent for 'publishing' or model release.
Best to ask the contest runners or read the fine print.
× < >