Expired Hot Deals

[LCBO] Lagavulin 8 Years Old Price Drop (Lowest in Canada)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2019 10:51 pm
[OP]
Jun 4, 2007
36 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto

[LCBO] Lagavulin 8 Years Old Price Drop (Lowest in Canada)

Previously priced at $100, now reduced to $85.

It is also priced at the lowest in all of Canada which is very rare for LCBO.
(Source: https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/laga ... d/1/canada)

Critics Review and User Review (648 Sample Size): https://distiller.com/spirits/lagavulin-8-year

In comparison, the Lagavulin 9 years old is $110 at LCBO.

Cheers!
Images
  • lagavulin-200-years-anniversary-limited-edition-8-year-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky-islay-scotland-10765965.jpg
  • lagavulin-200-years-anniversary-limited-edition-8-year-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky-islay-scotland-10765966.jpg
Last edited by azn_sicko on Mar 8th, 2019 1:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2779 posts
1042 upvotes
GTA
Not sure that i've had the 8-year, but beware that Lagavulin in general is not for casual tastes. It is quite intense and carries a heavy, peaty flavour that will not appeal to all palettes.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2009
3605 posts
1208 upvotes
M-Arkham
N8Magic wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 12:43 pm
Not sure that i've had the 8-year, but beware that Lagavulin in general is not for casual tastes. It is quite intense and carries a heavy, peaty flavour that will not appeal to all palettes.
How does it compare to Jura?
2x Zoomer $36 for 4GB and unlimited Can wide txt/talk
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide Pulse
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2005
1543 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
Brewmeanie wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 12:57 pm
Depending on which Jura you tried. Prophecy one is quite peaty. I recall 10 year old one is quite light.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2009
3605 posts
1208 upvotes
M-Arkham
danthemightyone wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 1:02 pm
Depending on which Jura you tried. Prophecy one is quite peaty. I recall 10 year old one is quite light.
I was thinking of Jura 12 yr
2x Zoomer $36 for 4GB and unlimited Can wide txt/talk
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide Pulse
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2280 posts
1979 upvotes
Toronto
Just dropped in to say that I LOVE that this and other LCBO threads are listed under 'groceries' Face With Tears Of Joy. Also for Scotch drinkers - not in the same class as Lagavulin of course - the LCBO just marked down their Johnnie Walker Triple Grain American Oak from $50 to $35. 70 available online as of now and a few handfuls in some Toronto & Ottawa stores https://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/johnn ... IFeBvlKipo
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3090 posts
742 upvotes
Mississauga
Brewmeanie wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 12:57 pm
not sure if they do compare very closely. Each come from a different Scottish island. I've never had the Laga 8, but have had plenty of Laga 16's (you can get them around $50USD in a lot of Costco's in the US...which I always stock up when I can). That one is always lots of smoke and peat and I sometimes taste iodine, which sounds gross, but I kind of like bc it brings me back to when I was a kid and my mom would put that on my scrapes...lol...anyway, as the first poster mentioned, whether you like it or not is a personal matter. There's no right or wrong here.

Not sure about the Laga 8, but I feel like it's a bit of a gamble that you'll really like an 8yr old @ this price point, even if it's Lagavullin.

Jura 12 is a nice daily dram (imo). Lot's of sweet and spicy notes...which I enjoy. Maybe a hint of smoke in the finish...but that's all I usually get.
Jan 24, 2009
690 posts
364 upvotes
Montreal
Lagavulin is like licking an ashtray. An acquired taste.

But not bad when you put it in the freezer.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2007
36 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure why some thinks Lagavulin is too peaty. The PPM (rating for peat) is rated at 35 points, which is only slightly higher than other great SMS (single malt scotch) such as Talisker (25ppm), Highland Park (20PPM).

In comparison to the SMS that are really peaty, we are talking about Ardbeg (55PPM), Laphroaig (35PPM), and even the Octomore (100+ppm).

lastly, the Lagavulin peatiness is different in the sense that it does not hit you straight to the face like a punch, but rather smooth and mellowed in with fruits and sweetness.
Sep 11, 2017
1 posts
azn_sicko wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 1:40 pm
Not sure why some thinks Lagavulin is too peaty. The PPM (rating for peat) is rated at 35 points, which is only slightly higher than other great SMS (single malt scotch) such as Talisker (25ppm), Highland Park (20PPM).

In comparison to the SMS that are really peaty, we are talking about Ardbeg (55PPM), Laphroaig (35PPM), and even the Octomore (100+ppm).

lastly, the Lagavulin peatiness is different in the sense that it does not hit you straight to the face like a punch, but rather smooth and mellowed in with fruits and sweetness.
Yep, Lagavulin is one of the softest from Islay. Most of my friends who couldn't handle Ardbeg or Laphroaig loved the Lagavulin 16.
May 26, 2006
224 posts
49 upvotes
Life is too short to drink 8 year old scotch.
Jun 28, 2018
37 posts
31 upvotes
tilley wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 2:07 pm
Life is too short to drink 8 year old scotch.
Sorry but that just sounds pretentious. Some 8 year olds are good as well. Lagavulin 8 is a decent peated whisky. But I agree it is an acquired taste. It tastes like campfire and has a strong finish. The smoke lingers in your palate which is what I like. However some might hate it for the exact same reason.
Existence is pain.
Nov 8, 2012
179 posts
207 upvotes
TORONTO
Lagavulin 8 is decent, but laga 12 is what I like more than the 16. That being said, I'm more of an Ardbeg drinker, so lagavulin tasted pretty good to me.

Top bad Ardbeg is sop overpriced here, oh well, everything at lcbo is.